DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas is rock solid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/134968-vegas-rock-solid.html)

Nick Stone September 30th, 2008 01:09 AM

Vegas is rock solid

I have 110gig of footage in the time line with cutaways, audio samples, CC, lower thirds, titles and what ever else I can throw at Vegas 8 and it’s loving it.

This is one sweet and easy NLE. Get into it.

Nick

Christian de Godzinsky September 30th, 2008 03:39 AM

Hi Nick,

What NLE did you use before Vegas?

Christian

Nick Stone September 30th, 2008 05:05 AM

Hi Christian,
At first I was using Ulead and some other NLE's which I cant remember, then I used Adobe PP which was way over my head at first so I gave it away mind you this was years ago. I started to investigate what were the leaders in NLE’s and found Avid which yet again was even more over my head but I was determined to succeed in understanding how it works. Ever since then I have been collecting NLE’S and working my way through them and found my way upon Sony Vegas and it just seems to work with the way I think. I come from sound editing and this fits right in where I left off.

All NLE’S have some great features that I have used and I wish some company could create a version utilizing the way Vegas and Avid behave.

Nick

Jeff Harper September 30th, 2008 11:06 AM

It is easy to use. I like that I was able to get creative immediately after learning the basics. The simplicity of the program allows that.

Brian Boyko September 30th, 2008 04:14 PM

I'm still an FCP guy, but Vegas is pretty okay. I don't think the plug-in chains, however, give you quite the level of control over the final look of your picture as FCP does.

Christian de Godzinsky October 6th, 2008 05:10 AM

Nick,

What format are you rendering to?

My experience is that Vegas is rock solid as long as you render to SD. My experience is not so rosey having a quad core intel CPU (using all cores&threads) and rendering AVCHD material out to BLuray format...

Christian

Jeff Harper October 6th, 2008 06:21 AM

It is funny how different people's experiences can be. Vegas never ran better for me than it did with multi-cores.

Bill Ravens October 6th, 2008 06:55 AM

Vegas has serious problems, not the least of which are
1-incorrect colors in preview window
2-incorrect wave form monitor
3-operation in 32 bit mode is inexplicable
4-horrible customer support
5- stuttery playback of HDv modes

Vegas works great as long as you don't stress the software. Calculation intensive processes tend to cause all sorts of random problems. I keep vegas on my system because of the compositing mode capability, and the occasional transcode; but, I don't have much confidence in it. I wouldn't dream of doing color timing in vegas. For fast jobs, Edius 5 is a wonder. Edius seems to always work and always gives smooth, realtime playback. Next on my llist is Avid. Avid MC3 is my workhorse. This is what NLE software should be like. Avid's DNxHD codec is awesome, as is the Grass Valley Canopus HQ intermediate. FCP is something I just have a passing familiarity with. What I've seen of FCP, they're always late to the table with camera formats and there's something not quite right about the color output, but, I think that's a Quicktime issue.....oh, yeah, they're both Mac products. (My only real complaint with Mac is that I can build a quad core PC for a fraction of the price they want for a Macintosh workstation)Please don't start a platform war, here. I apologize ahead of time to those who love FCP. To each his own choice and it's not my intent to insult anyone, just sharing my observations.

There's no such thing as the perfect NLE. They all have a place in part of an editor's toolbox. Sadly, for me, Vegas is in the bottom drawer, where I keep the Popeel's Veg-a-matic and the whitworth wrenches.

edit: impromptu poll: how many people here have a set of whitworth wrenches? How many people here even know what they are?

Perrone Ford October 6th, 2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ravens (Post 947438)
edit: impromptu poll: how many people here have a set of whitworth wrenches? How many people here even know what they are?

I no longer have a need for Whitworth wrenches, but do know what they are and where to get them if desired.

As to Vegas, it does what I need and I don't seem to have the problems you speak of so often.

To each their own.

Jeff Harper October 6th, 2008 09:11 AM

I do enjoy reading your posts Bill. I also really like hearing about other NLEs from someone, like you, who has used them. The information you provide is about them is valuable. I gave MC a shot largely due to your feedback in another area. I found it to be too difficult to wrap my head around, however.

Nick Stone October 6th, 2008 12:19 PM

I'm rendering out from a HDV timeline to SD MPEG-2. Also I render out to Web formats.

Nick Stone October 6th, 2008 01:18 PM

Hi Bill,

Can you explain what is wrong with your problems.
1-incorrect colors in preview window
2-incorrect wave form monitor

I would like to know more.

Nick

Jason Robinson October 7th, 2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Stone (Post 944927)
Hi Christian,
At first I was using Ulead and some other NLE's which I cant remember, then I used Adobe PP which was way over my head at first so I gave it away mind you this was years ago. I started to investigate what were the leaders in NLE’s and found Avid which yet again was even more over my head but I was determined to succeed in understanding how it works. Ever since then I have been collecting NLE’S and working my way through them and found my way upon Sony Vegas and it just seems to work with the way I think. I come from sound editing and this fits right in where I left off.

All NLE’S have some great features that I have used and I wish some company could create a version utilizing the way Vegas and Avid behave.

Nick

THat kind of mirrors how I started too. I tried Liquid (which was the most annoying of all NLEs) and Avid Xpress and PP and Ulead. Vegas was the only one that had Color Correction that was remotely understandable (note.... I still had to buy the VASST DVD to really start to learn anything). It also had DVDA, which was a real bonus. So I was sold at Vegas 6 and stayed here ever since.......

BUT....... I'm still in the SD world, so I have no experience at all with anything HD related (I do have one project shot in HD, but I have not touched it in post yet).