DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Time Lapse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/135113-time-lapse.html)

Hugh Mobley October 2nd, 2008 02:43 PM

Time Lapse

Iam trying to get some time lapse footage out of my Sony V1, the first one I did was 1/2 sec for each minute and let camera run for an hour, the second was 2 secs per minute, let it run for an hour, both produced very jerky playback, totally unuseable. How can, or will, Vegas 8 produce time lapse footage instead of taking a clip and speeding it up thru its properties, I have done that and its ok, In the Sony V1 forum Lee Berger had perfect time lapse footage from his V1 although captured and edited in PC pro. It changed the # of frames to make it work, from 15 to 5 and produced very nice time lapse. Anyone have suggestions

Mike Kujbida October 2nd, 2008 03:20 PM

Scenalyzer ($34.00) has a time lapse feature that may be of some use to you.
There may also be a script around that can extract a frame every so often but I'm not positive.

edit: check out the Time Bandit feature of Veggie Tool Kit ($80.00).

Jeff Kellam October 2nd, 2008 05:49 PM

Let me ask a dumb question, why wouldnt you just speed it up a few hundred % and cut out any sections with no activity?

Edit:

I guess you may be talking about some Sony recording feature for the time lapse. I let the camera roll continuously. Looks great that way.

Hugh Mobley October 2nd, 2008 06:34 PM

I have done that, just ran across this under V1;

Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
I agree. I tried it and the minimum interval of 15 frames was too long. I captured the footage into Final Cut Pro 6 and interestingly enough it created 5 frame clips for each 15 frame interval. Recombined on a timeline they produced a good timelapse. Here is a link to my experiment on Vimeo
Timelapse of Sangre De Christo Mountians in Colorado on Vimeo

wanted to use camera settings instead of using 1 or 2 hours of continuous tape. i am still trying to get done in vegas, apparently fc pro has an addon which does it

Hugh Mobley October 3rd, 2008 02:01 PM

The other way is to render your video as an image sequence and then re-import it. Just use the Render Image Sequence script that comes with Vegas. Set the Step Time to whatever interval you want. For example if you want a frame every 5 seconds then set the step time to 00:00:05;00. Once the rendering is complete, use File | Import | Media and navigate to the first image in the sequence and select it. Then make sure the Open still image sequence is checked and Vegas will rebuild your video from the time sequenced images.

~jr

John Rofrano

I found this in another forum, I tried this and it doesn't seem to workVegas just sits there, has anyone used this is attempting a time lapse sequence, appreciate any help or suggestions

Hugh Mobley October 3rd, 2008 03:49 PM

I figured it out for Vegas and the V1, I took the first five frames of each clip I did, 1 sec for each minute, I had 54 clips, and it worked perfectly after rendering. Now the only question is, is there a way of cutting all the clips at once without having to do each one individually. The script I eluded to does not work or takes too long.

Edward Troxel October 3rd, 2008 05:48 PM

The script does work. It is slower than some tasks but it will work.

Hugh Mobley October 3rd, 2008 10:39 PM

I had over 50 clips and if I was doing it correctly it was going to take hours to render those clips so I eventually just quit, I will try with a few clips, also will this script give me 5 frame clips, or what does it give me, thanks

Hugh Mobley October 4th, 2008 08:51 AM

OK Edward, I tried 4 clips they were 1 sec each, and started the script running, or I thought I did, Vegas had a busy sign, and waited and waited, even left for a while, nothing!, maybe I'm doing it wrong, I tried to follow John Rofanos instructions, Click on script, set parameters, as soon as it renders, import those clips into vegas, If its supposed to work for all intensive purposes it does not, or did I do it wrong, however I can manually alter each clip in far less time than waiting for it to run, any suggestions!

Edward Troxel October 4th, 2008 11:32 AM

Do you see the image changing in the preview screen? It should be saving each image as it changes to the folder you specified. Once all the images are saved, you can import them like JR said.

Hugh Mobley October 4th, 2008 07:57 PM

No, nothing happening except there is a busy indicator that vegas is running, there was once instance where there different files in that folder, but only once, not sure what happened, this was before I found this and tried it;

The other way is to render your video as an image sequence and then re-import it. Just use the Render Image Sequence script that comes with Vegas. Set the Step Time to whatever interval you want. For example if you want a frame every 5 seconds then set the step time to 00:00:05;00. Once the rendering is complete, use File | Import | Media and navigate to the first image in the sequence and select it. Then make sure the Open still image sequence is checked and Vegas will rebuild your video from the time sequenced images.

maybe I'm missing a step

Edward Troxel October 5th, 2008 01:34 PM

Those are the correct instructions. You just open the script, edit it, and then run it in Vegas. It then saves a series of snapshots.

Hugh Mobley October 5th, 2008 03:03 PM

I figured out another way thru trimmer, not as slow as actually manually doing each clip to 5 frames, in the trimmer, set it to absolute frames, highlight 5 frames, insert at cursor, works pretty fast, about half the time of doing each clip on timeline.