DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Black Magic Decklink Cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/135158-black-magic-decklink-cards.html)

Fred Helm October 3rd, 2008 10:01 AM

Black Magic Decklink Cards

Sorry for blowing up the room, but I am in the final stages of new studio build and the best info is on this forum...

I want to monitor HD timelines on an external HD monitor from V8 projects. The last time I tried this I had to run through a camera and choose "External Monitor". Do any of the Black Magic cards allow me to do this better? There are so many to choose from...

Thanks

Michael Tobias October 3rd, 2008 12:11 PM

HDExtreme

Right now I'm using Decklink's HDExtreme card with Vegas 8c. Getting the right drivers to work initially was a pain but once that was done it's been working great. I'm outputting through the HDMI out on the card into a Samsung HD monitor and my HD timelines look really good.

Hope that's informative for you.

Fred Helm October 3rd, 2008 12:43 PM

Great! was the driver issue just trying to find them, or an install nightmare? Can you direct me to correct driver locations?

Thanks

Fred Helm October 3rd, 2008 12:59 PM

another question. i was looking at the diagram for that card and I dont see twin crt monitor hookups?? Im trying to continue to run my twin edit screens and then one HD monitor and one SD 4:3 monitor. Even if I have to signal switch to preview on 4:3 monitor thats ok, but I definately want to use the twin 22" crt's and a master preview 42" HD monitor...

Michael Tobias October 3rd, 2008 01:49 PM

Decklink

For the drivers, basically the ones that came with the card would not be seen by Vegas. But then I went to the Blackmagic website and downloaded the newest version and then installed those which made it work perfectly fine. The card was then seen by Vegas, After Effects and Premiere.

As for the twin monitors, I'm also using twins but I have those running through an NVidia Quadro FX1700 card. The HDExtreme I'm using for capture of the footage through the component in and preview out only through the HDMI. In Vegas under the Preview device options you'll be able to select Blackmagic device for preview. I suppose if you had the HDMI or component out from the HDExtreme running to a HD monitor and the composite out to your 4:3, I don't see why that wouldn't work. But then again I haven't tried and stranger things have happened.

Fred Helm October 7th, 2008 05:15 PM

perfect thanks

Arlen Sahakian October 10th, 2008 04:20 AM

Working with 2 softwares

Hi Guys, im trying to buy new Blackmagic card but i was wondering if i can use the card with both Final Cut and Avid, what i mean is when im using FCP i use the Card and when im using Avid i will need the card too. will it work for both Softwares ?

Thank you

Devin Termini October 10th, 2008 05:16 PM

The Blackmagic card will not work with any Avid software. Avid has proprietary hardware that you must use if you choose to use their software.

Arlen Sahakian October 11th, 2008 12:47 AM

Thank You Devin