Black Magic Decklink Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Black Magic Decklink Cards

Sorry for blowing up the room, but I am in the final stages of new studio build and the best info is on this forum...

I want to monitor HD timelines on an external HD monitor from V8 projects. The last time I tried this I had to run through a camera and choose "External Monitor". Do any of the Black Magic cards allow me to do this better? There are so many to choose from...

Thanks
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HDExtreme

Right now I'm using Decklink's HDExtreme card with Vegas 8c. Getting the right drivers to work initially was a pain but once that was done it's been working great. I'm outputting through the HDMI out on the card into a Samsung HD monitor and my HD timelines look really good.

Hope that's informative for you.
Michael Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great! was the driver issue just trying to find them, or an install nightmare? Can you direct me to correct driver locations?

Thanks
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

another question. i was looking at the diagram for that card and I dont see twin crt monitor hookups?? Im trying to continue to run my twin edit screens and then one HD monitor and one SD 4:3 monitor. Even if I have to signal switch to preview on 4:3 monitor thats ok, but I definately want to use the twin 22" crt's and a master preview 42" HD monitor...
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Decklink

For the drivers, basically the ones that came with the card would not be seen by Vegas. But then I went to the Blackmagic website and downloaded the newest version and then installed those which made it work perfectly fine. The card was then seen by Vegas, After Effects and Premiere.

As for the twin monitors, I'm also using twins but I have those running through an NVidia Quadro FX1700 card. The HDExtreme I'm using for capture of the footage through the component in and preview out only through the HDMI. In Vegas under the Preview device options you'll be able to select Blackmagic device for preview. I suppose if you had the HDMI or component out from the HDExtreme running to a HD monitor and the composite out to your 4:3, I don't see why that wouldn't work. But then again I haven't tried and stranger things have happened.
Michael Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

perfect thanks
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Working with 2 softwares

Hi Guys, im trying to buy new Blackmagic card but i was wondering if i can use the card with both Final Cut and Avid, what i mean is when im using FCP i use the Card and when im using Avid i will need the card too. will it work for both Softwares ?

Thank you
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Blackmagic card will not work with any Avid software. Avid has proprietary hardware that you must use if you choose to use their software.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank You Devin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...