Newbie question: moving files to second drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Newbie question: moving files to second drive?

So, after completing my first client video in Vegas Pro, I realized that every clip and data file was written to my C drive in the "Documents" folder. This is not good. I have 6.5gb of stuff in there that needs to be moved to a second hard drive.

It's easy enough to copy or drag these files to a new location - but what will happen to the project file when it goes to look for the files? How do I re-establish the links? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

when you move the files and veg to another drive you need to go to vegas and reopen and resave the veg file with the new location.
Simple as that.

Oh yeah, simply open the C drive copy the file then go to the new drive andpaste.Yes it willtake some time to copy the avis over but it shouldn't be too bad.Paste it and let it go.WatchTV;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don - I didn't see a veg file in there, could that be in another location?
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Renkin View Post
So, after completing my first client video in Vegas Pro, I realized that every clip and data file was written to my C drive in the "Documents" folder. This is not good.
You're right. This is the default location and this is not good.
This is why you need to go into the various Prefs in Vegas and tell it where the files are supposed to go,
Options - Prefs: direct this folder to a location on your second drive.
File - Properties - Video and Audio tabs: direct these folders to a location on your second drive.

You'll need to do this in DVD Architect as well.
Options - Prefs - Burning: direct the two locations in this folder to a location on your second drive.

Quote:
It's easy enough to copy or drag these files to a new location - but what will happen to the project file when it goes to look for the files?
Move the files to the new desired location.
If/when you open it again, Vegas will say it can't find the location of a specific file.
Tell it that you want to choose a new location and direct it to this new folder.
Once it's "found" the first one, it should automatically find the remaining files.
If not, redirect it as needed.

BTW, whenever I start a new project, I create a master folder on my second drive and put ALL assets into this new folder, even if they already exist elsewhere on my computer.
I'll create sub folders as needed. For example, captured video, graphics, music, etc.
All rendered files go to a new folder on my third drive.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Great - thanks Mike!
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Renkin View Post
I didn't see a veg file in there, could that be in another location?
It could be in something like C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents.
Before you move your files, open up the project, do a "Save As" and see where it points you to. This "should" be where it's stored.
If not, do a search of your hard drive for that specific veg file and you'll find it.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Why do you need to save those files? You already have the veg files, and the original video files, just delete the temporary files. They are called temporary for a reason. They will be recreated when needed if you re-render the project.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Okay, maybe I need a little "file extension 101" so I can understand which files are temporary?

Sam
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

If you are talking about the files that are written by default to the documents folder, they are temp files, in my mind.

For example, when you open Options/Preferences, at the bottom it shows the default location of temp vegas files. When I'm done with a project and am ready to archive all project files, etc., I go into the documents folder and delete those temp files.

Same for DVDA. Except those file are even larger. When I'm ready to burn/prepare a DVD, when I click on burn DVD, there is a spot where I can select to have the "prepare folder" be located wherever I choose. When I'm happy with the DVD, I delete those as well. If I need to burn the DVD at a future time it will create the prep file again. Takes a couple of minutes, but that to me is better than saving the prep files.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
If I need to burn the DVD at a future time it will create the prep file again. Takes a couple of minutes, but that to me is better than saving the prep files.
Easier just to make a copy of the DVD. No loss of resolution. Just copying 1 and 0 s.
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

There is another hassle free solution for you issue. In the File Menu - Save As- you can choose a different location and check mark Save Project Media or something like that. This will save your Veg File in the new location and also save a copy of all your used media files inclusive additional sound files and so on. It just make sense when your project is done and you want to finalize your savings.

Axel
Axel Scheffler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...