DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas vs audio effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/136069-vegas-vs-audio-effects.html)

Donald Blake October 14th, 2008 02:34 PM

Vegas vs audio effects

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there's a way in Vegas to make this audio effect.

I filmed a car scene from different angles and depths, I wanna add music as if it was playing from inside the car (you often hear this effect in the movies) and as I switch from shot to shot the audio sounds different everytime to give the audience the illusion that the audio was really recorded at the same time it was filmed.

Also make a voice sound like a telephone conversation (the person you don't see talking at the other end) or a message on an answering machine.

thanks!

Chuck Pullen October 14th, 2008 05:41 PM

A couple of ideas

Hey Donald, I tried both of these in my "mis-spent" youth, and here's my input. The phone call thing shouldn't be too hard. Vegas has a setting on I think it's one of the Eq's to make that effect? Also, a similar EQ trick with two layers of the song should achieve your inside/outside effect.

Sorry about being Vague, I'm not at a Vegas PC right now.

Chuck

Duane Adam October 14th, 2008 07:07 PM

Just duplicate the audio track several times, eq each one differently and split/mute the tracks to match the video. The further you get from on audio source, the less low frequencies there are so roll off more bottom end and reduce the gain for distant shots. Don't forget to roll off the high end a bit so the dialogue doesn't fight the music.

For the telephone effect, shelve everything below 2500 HZ. If that isn't enough, boost the frequencies around 3000 HZ in a tight bell curve.

Donald Blake October 14th, 2008 07:28 PM

Ok thanks you guys I will look around in Vegas and hope to figure out what you guys mean, I'm not very good with audio yet.

Donald Blake October 15th, 2008 10:37 AM

adding audio effect to a clip not a whole track?

Hey i'm having a hard time adding an audio effect to just a single clip, it seems like I can only add one to the whole track and affect all the other clips, why can't we add them like the video effects??

To get back to the original post, now I've added a song on an audio track, I've also added a "volume audio envelope" so i can play up and down with the gain depending on the car scenes on the timeline, so that's seems to work well but now for the effects... this is were i'm stuck.

Mike Kujbida October 15th, 2008 11:15 AM

Donald, what you might want to consider doing is splitting the clip at the desired spots (shortcut is the "S" key) and placing that segment on a separate track.
That way, only what's on the new track is affected.
Please not that, when you do a split, a 10 ms. fade is created at the in and out points of the split.
Some users find this annoying when they're editing audio events.
This option can be turned off in Preferences (Options - Prefs - Editing - deselect the "Quick fade length for audio events" option) or you can manually remove the fades on each clip.

Don Bloom October 15th, 2008 11:31 AM

OR you can split the clip as Mike suggested and place the fxs on that clip only-simply open the non-realtime fx do your thing and it will render a new audio clip. Now you can go to take 1 or take 2 or whatever. Remember though to ADD if you are using more than 1 fx.

Don

Donald Blake October 15th, 2008 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya well that's pretty much what I did Don, I added other tracks for every different track audio effect, it's a pain to work with so many tracks don't you think? Anyway I joined a small video sample of the clip itself to get your outside opinions. Tell me if it sounds ok or just weird, thanks!

Mike Kujbida October 15th, 2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Blake (Post 951615)
...it's a pain to work with so many tracks don't you think?

It depends on the project.
I've helped animation students at the college I work for on thier projects and have had up to 20 audio tracks becasue my belief is that you put everything on it's own separate track.
It makes the final mixdown much easier when you have so much control over individual elements.

Quote:

Anyway I joined a small video sample of the clip itself to get your outside opinions. Tell me if it sounds ok or just weird, thanks!
There's a few minor things I'd tweak (like the sound of the vehicle approaching on the long shot) but overall it looked and sounded good to me.

Donald Blake October 15th, 2008 04:13 PM

Thanks Mike, but i'm new to all this, can you explain what you mean by tweaking? I've heard this often but never really understood what it meant. thanks!

Mike Kujbida October 15th, 2008 07:55 PM

To "tweak" something means to adjust it, usually in small steps.
This could be adjusting an audio level by 1/2 db or a camera's video level by 1/4 of a stop.
I started using this term when I studied electronics many many years ago and it's now crept into my video world.
I still have a "tweaker" which is a small slotted screwdriver used to adjust potentiometers found on circuit boards.

Donald Blake October 16th, 2008 09:21 AM

haha then I've "tweaked" it already, I played with the graphik eq, also fixed the over-exposure, now I have to film/edit the ending.

Thanx for the advice everyone.