DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   No Audio Track on AVI file (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/136233-no-audio-track-avi-file.html)

David Ruhland October 17th, 2008 06:34 PM

No Audio Track on AVI file

When i drag my AVI files into the time line I have no audio track. If i play the file in Windows Media player the audio is there... So i must not have something set right... Where is it??HELP!!

Thanks..

John Rofrano October 17th, 2008 07:00 PM

Usually this happens when Vegas cannot find the codec for the audio or video. Get a copy of GSopt and open the file in it and it will tell you what codecs are needed and whether or not the codec is available on you system. Even still, Vegas cannot import some formats.

~jr

David Ruhland October 17th, 2008 08:18 PM

Okay i ran the program and it tells me Codec is unknown. So do i need to install a Codec in Vegas 8.0? Do i capture as a different format? Sorry Im new... i get really lost in this Codec stuff.

Thanks..

Jeff Harper October 17th, 2008 09:38 PM

From where do your avi files originate?

David Ruhland October 18th, 2008 07:00 AM

When I capture from My Canon GL2 or HDV30. Should i be bringing them in as something different?

Edward Troxel October 18th, 2008 07:46 AM

HOW are you capturing? If you capturing via firewire into standard DV AVI files, the audio should definitely be fine.

John Rofrano October 18th, 2008 08:48 AM

Yea, what are you using to capture them with? If GSpot doesn't know what the codec is for the audio you are in big trouble. A Cannon GL2 shoots DV which uses uncompressed PCM audio and GSpot should tell you this. If it's unknown then either you captured it wrong OR there is some software on your system that is causing the problem. Did you capture with Vegas VidCap?

Do you have Nero on your PC? I have problems with Nero installing video and audio components that intercept requests and mess up my software. For example: you cannot open DV AVI files captured by Vegas in Boris FX/RED/Graffiti if you have Nero 8 on your PC. This is a know issue. So perhaps some other program on your PC is intercepting requests for audio and reporting the wrong information?

When you press the Render button in GSpot for this file, what Audio Path does it show? Something in that path might be causing the problem.

~jr

David Ruhland October 20th, 2008 06:42 PM

i figured out what i did, My laptop does not recognize Sony when it comes time to capture. I captured the files with Roxio as an AVI file. I then put that file on my external hard drive and transferred to my Editing PC. No audio detected.

Now i just captured a tape AVI from my camera to my editiing PC and I have two tracks, one video, one audio.

Now if i can just figure out this Codec issue for my laptop. Ed i read your post about a conflict, but am somwhat confused how to rectify the issue.

Edward Troxel October 21st, 2008 06:44 AM

Roxio is obviously not capturing into a standard DV file. You're better off capturing to a standard DV file so I wouldn't use Roxio to capture.

David Ruhland October 21st, 2008 10:40 AM

I should have added that on my editing PC i captured with Vegas. Which brings up another question...Is there a way to capture the whole tape at once or do i always get a bunch of Clips? Is there a way i can work with one clip instead of several?

Edward Troxel October 21st, 2008 10:56 AM

Turn off "Scene Detection" and you should get one long clip.

Graham Bernard October 22nd, 2008 12:33 AM

Stay within Vegas from capture to render. I have flirted with another capture program, but I have always comes back to Vegas. I am not clever enough to make things too complicated. But I have learnt to be shrewd enough to "design-out" potential complications!

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! - Not QUITE true here but you get the sentiment. Going via "another" capture program, was it Roxio? Nuh-uh!

BTW, back in the day, I would capture directly from my XM2 (the PAL GL2) using Vegas VidCap program - Nooooo problem at all with long captures or short scene detects.

Grazie

David Ruhland October 26th, 2008 08:04 AM

This problem is resolved... In with Vegas out with Vegas! Thanks everyone!!