DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Can no longer record to timeline in V4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/136543-can-no-longer-record-timeline-v4.html)

Ken Plotin October 23rd, 2008 10:18 PM

Can no longer record to timeline in V4

I have always recorded my VO tracks directly into the Vegas timeline or into Sound Forge 5 with no problems. I'm trying to add new VO to a commercial and find that I can no longer record to either program. I can open a file from my V4 timeline in Sound Forge and EQ it, but the record function is No Go in SF or Vegas itself.. I re-installed SF...no joy.
I can see the audio level on the deck, so I know the mike input is ok.
I CAN record to my DSR30 deck on tape and capture that into Vegas without a problem.
I haven't added any new programs that might affect the audio. This is a real head scratcher.
I would really appreciate any suggestions on a fix.
I've been running W2K Pro with Vegas 4.0e for a number of years with no problems until now.

TIA
Ken

Graham Bernard October 24th, 2008 12:08 AM

Do you have any OTHER recording s/w that you could test? If this proves the same then I would be looking outside of the Vegas platform. It is already appearing that way as you say you ARE getting the same with SF.

Good to know you have the mic to deck sorted out. That's a good thing. Now you need to know IF the signal is going from mic to s/w via the sound card.

Have you altered any of the pc input/output plugs? Any configuration of speakers/mic-in? Have you needed to adjust where the pc is sited? Have you moved any device that would involve moving or disturbing the cabling?

I bet this is a very small item indeed.

Grazie

Ken Plotin October 24th, 2008 09:40 AM

Graham,
Thanks for your reply. No, nothing has changed regarding computer or hardware. I tried going straight into the built in sound port on the computer...no joy using either Microsoft sound mapper or the C-Media device driver.
I usually just plugged the mike into my deck, chose input 1 instead of firewire and the audio went right to SF or Vegas through the firewire port.
I even uninstalled the audio portion of Nero, as some have reported a software conflict with it and Vegas. I still suspect a software issue somewhere.
Maybe this is natures way of telling me to build a new computer :). This one is a 5 year old P4 1.8 box with a gig of ram. Slow, but always reliable with W2k Pro.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Ken

Edward Troxel October 24th, 2008 10:05 AM

I would consider doing a system restore back a few days to when it WAS working and see if it starts again. Of course you then need to figure out what changed in-between then and now.

Ken Plotin October 24th, 2008 11:58 AM

Thanks guys...fixed it.
I deleted all audio portions of Nero AND re-installed the mobo audio driver package.
The audio now seems to work in SF and Vegas (audio out from deck to audio ins on sound card). I have to activate the "mixer" function of my device on the desktop, but at least it's working now.
Ed, I will try to restore my True Image backup files to get back to the "better" version.
Thanks.
Ken