Vista 64 & Contour Shuttle Pro2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vista 64 & Contour Shuttle Pro2

Hi,

I recently installed Vista Ultimate 64 with the new Sony Vegas 8.1 compatible version and I´m wondering if anyone noticed that the screen saver which should automatically starts does not work when the Shuttle Pro 2 is connected.

When the Contour Shuttle Pro is NOT connected then the screen saver starts perfectly....

Last edited by Marcus Schuler; October 25th, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
Marcus Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Problem "solved": I spoke to the customer service of Contour and they told me, that under Vista 64 the Shuttle Pro "blocks" the system to switch on the screen saver. They work on a solution...
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up -
I plan on having my new 64bit system built by the end of this year and was wondering if my Contour would work.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Well it does work on 64bit. Once I had to reinstall it because it stopped working. Not sure why. I never noticed screen savver because I have mine off and turn off my LCDs when I walk away. Good to see they are working on it.
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I´m really happy with Vista 64 because it´s much faster, especially with Vegas 8.1; it really surprises me how smoothly Vista works.

My biggest problem after installing was that I bought 16 GB of Ram.

BUT:
Before buying Ram one should find out if the motherboard works with the selected Ram. Otherwise you sit in front of your new PC hours and hours and try to figure out which Bios setting is the best.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Trustee

Just another heads up for those out there still using Vista 32, the same thing happens when you have a Countour Shuttel Pro 2 hooked up. Before going to Vista 64 I had the same problem. The Shuttle seems to be constantanly sending a key stroke or ping to the USB port.

I just unplug mine when I'm not using it but it would be nice to see Contour come up with a fix.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

>I just unplug mine when I'm not using it but it would be nice to see Contour come up with a >fix.

That´s exactly what I do.... at the moment there seems to be no other solution...

Marcus
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM   #8
New Boot

Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I have been living with this problem for over a year now. I am wondering if anyone has yet found a solution. I too have been unplugging between uses.
Ethan Piliavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I am just puzzled why you guys are using screen savers on your editing machines unless you have CRT monitors? They were introduced to minimize CRT phosphor burn in and have no effect on LCD's other than looking pretty. I use a screen saver on my PC used just for email and the internet because this sets Zone Alarm to lock the internet access while the screen saver is on. I have had mine turned off for years on my editing systems as it causes an interrupt to the CPU that could interfere with tape transfers and cause a dropped frame if it comes on while transfer is taking place etc. On my editing PC I have all these sort of things turned off. No power downs, no virus checking, no auto updating etc etc for the same reasons. This issue is of course less of a problem with multicore CPU's and tapeless work flow. If you just want the screen to look pretty put a picture up.
As an aside of course I have had no problems with my Shuttle Pro!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM   #10
New Boot

Its not the screen savers I care about, but this prevents the monitors from shutting off (power save mode). So when I forget to unplug the shuttlexpress from the USB and then leave for the day, the monitors stay on the entire time...
Ethan Piliavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Inner Circle

It sounds like you will end up just having to turn them off manually till a solution is found.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Piliavin View Post
Its not the screen savers I care about, but this prevents the monitors from shutting off (power save mode). So when I forget to unplug the shuttlexpress from the USB and then leave for the day, the monitors stay on the entire time...
But its the PC that's using most of the power, why not switch everything off when you go home? Or just switch the monitor off rather than disconnect the Shuttle if you need the PC running for some reason.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Inner Circle

That's what I'm sayin' Ron; just turn if off.

The power saver features only serve to take up resources and are not recommended to be on for an editing station anyway.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...