DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   64 Bit vista ... what do i gain what do i lose? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/136961-64-bit-vista-what-do-i-gain-what-do-i-lose.html)

Wajahat Abbasi October 31st, 2008 09:41 AM

64 Bit vista ... what do i gain what do i lose?

I am waiting for my new machine right now ....

which will include 64Bit Windows with Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300 2.5GHz and 6 GB RAM...

my Question is ..what do i gain compared to 32Bit ... other then the rendering time...
and what will i miss out on when i upgrade

Jeff Harper October 31st, 2008 09:46 AM

I promise you will notice more improvement from using 10K drives for your video than you will from 64 bit Windows. Rendering is better, but preview is the same from my experience.

It is also important that you research the tweaks that improve vista's performance, if you haven't already.

64 bit Vegas is useless if you need plug in support, except for Excalibur, it works with it.

Some people are using Vegas 8.1 and are enjoying it. Enjoy your new machine!

Wajahat Abbasi October 31st, 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 958071)
I promise you will notice more improvement from using 10K drives for your video than you will from 64 bit Windows. Rendering is better, but preview is the same from my experience.

It is also important that you research the tweaks that improve vista's performance, if you haven't already.

64 bit Vegas is useless if you need plug in support, except for Excalibur, it works with it.

Some people are using Vegas 8.1 and are enjoying it. Enjoy your new machine!

Ohh that means i wont be able to use other plugins at all ??? hummm . is there a way i can work on TWO computers with same veg file?? i mean on the same project???? like do plugins in one ... save the VEG fie and using external drive open it in another computer?

Lars Siden October 31st, 2008 10:26 AM

The largest gain IMHO is that EVEY 32 bit app you run can allocate 4gb of real mem.

So having 8gb in the machine you can give vegas/premeiere 4gb, 2gb to photoshop and still have 2gb left for the OS

And memory is CHEAAAP - (at least DDR2 - no gain going DDR3 for rendering) - I bought 8gb 6 months ago, today - the same money would get me 16gb...

// Lazze

Wajahat Abbasi October 31st, 2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Siden (Post 958095)
The largest gain IMHO is that EVEY 32 bit app you run can allocate 4gb of real mem.

So having 8gb in the machine you can give vegas/premeiere 4gb, 2gb to photoshop and still have 2gb left for the OS

And memory is CHEAAAP - (at least DDR2 - no gain going DDR3 for rendering) - I bought 8gb 6 months ago, today - the same money would get me 16gb...

// Lazze

Thank you .. thats a good info ...

Kostas Papadakis October 31st, 2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars Siden (Post 958095)

// Lazze

Sorry but i think on 32bit systems you can use maximum 4gb total ram(the right is 3,2gb), not 4gb to vega, 2gb to photoshop... On 64bit systems you can do this.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Perrone Ford October 31st, 2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi (Post 958081)
hummm . is there a way i can work on TWO computers with same veg file?? i mean on the same project???? like do plugins in one ... save the VEG fie and using external drive open it in another computer?

Yes, you can do this. I do it all the time. In fact, you can use 8.1 and 8.0c on the SAME computer. I do this on my laptop. The .AVI file support is pretty weak in 8.1 so I end up working in quicktime formats. Version 8.1 supports nearly all my better codecs that way including the AJA and Blackmagic 10bit ones. Makes going back and forth a breeze. Just remember that just because you use a plug-in in 32 bit, doesn't mean you can save the .veg and move to 64 bit. You've got to render first so that you don't need the plug-in to get he look.