Downconverting HD computer Files to DV in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Downconverting HD computer Files to DV in Vegas

I have some AVCHD files on the PC I wish to edit in Vegas 8 as a DV project.

How do you import media in AVCHD which is already on the hard drive to appear as DV in the project?

If I was capturing directly I would simply down-convert in the camera and then "Capture", but capture doesn't allow "Capturing" and downconverting into your project unless from a camera. Likewise I cannot see how to simply import media from the drive other than in its native form.

It appears to me as if I would have to import the native HD file & then render it out to DV and then use it - ?

The whole project is SD and my PC is apparently too slow to show the AVCHD files properly so it is too awkward to use these files on the timeline with other down-converted clips. The PC is a core 2 duo 2.13GHz. & NVidea GF 8800 GT

RonC
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Just drop the files on the timeline. Vegas will handle the conversion fine for you.

If your computer can't handle the AVCHD files natively, just drop them on the timeline and render them to some other format like Cineform. You can also use something like AVCHD Upshift at newbluefx to convert the files from AVCHD to m2t.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Edward.

I am not familiar with cineform or AVCHD Upshift. Are these separate program/codecs which I would have to buy or are they simple free downloads that work like AVI ?

I have only edited so far in AVI and thought that editing in m2v was more difficult due to the GOF structure.

RonC
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #4

AVCHD Upshift is a third party product (see www.newbluefx.com for more info).

The Cineform codec comes WITH Vegas so you can render to that yourself (look under file type "AVI" at the various options). Cineform is also a separate product as well but you probably wouldn't need it.
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you use PMB (the Sony utility) you can downconvert fairly quickly and easily as well.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Just drop the files on the timeline. Vegas will handle the conversion fine for you.

If your computer can't handle the AVCHD files natively, just drop them on the timeline and render them to some other format like Cineform. You can also use something like AVCHD Upshift at newbluefx to convert the files from AVCHD to m2t.
Can Vegas 8 read TS files? If not, can AVCHD Upshift convert them to a format Vegas can read? Or can you suggest a way to get these files in a format that can be edited in Vegas? I just installed Vegas 8.1 on a new quad-core PC running 64-bit Vista, but I get "no files found" if I try dropping TS files on the timeline. Can't play them from the Explorer window in Vegas or import them either, but the files will play just fine in Windows Media Player. Any suggestions you can make would be greatly appreciated.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #7

Vegas can read many varieties of HD files but definitely not all. So any it can't read you'll need to convert. If you're using a Panasonic camera, you'll need to look at some options like Raylight or Cineform.
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Vegas can read many varieties of HD files but definitely not all. So any it can't read you'll need to convert. If you're using a Panasonic camera, you'll need to look at some options like Raylight or Cineform.
I noticed today that the 8.1 version I have installed won't even read MPG files that I've used on another PC with Vegas 6. I get the error "the file is an unsupported format". The same MPG file I tested can be read by Vegas 7 on the same PC. It also works with Vegas 8.0c, but not with 8.1. On the other hand, neither Vegas 7 nor Vegas 8.0c will read my TS files, so it's possible I'll have to convert those to another format. I checked the tech specs from Sony, which indicate that TS files are supported, but maybe that information isn't correct. It's not really a big deal if I have to use the 32-bit 8.0 version, since I have both versions installed, but I was kind of hoping the 64-bit version would work. AVIs work just fine, so converting the TS files to AVI is an option.

These TS files aren't from a camcorder. I captured them from a DVR using Hauppauge's HD PVR. I've been able to edit them with some freeware tools like H264TS_cutter and burn to standard DVDs without any problems.

Do you have any recommendations for conversion programs? If not, then I guess I'll test some programs that have free trials and see what works best. Thanks for the reply, Edward.
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
If you use PMB (the Sony utility) you can downconvert fairly quickly and easily as well.
Where do you find the PMB utility?
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I downloaded the AVCHD Upshift trial and tested it on one of my TS files. I had to rename the file with a .m2ts extension, but it worked. The 10-second .m2t output file appears indistinguishable from the original. Now I'll see if Vegas can read the .m2t file.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Picture Motion Browser should have come with your camera on CD.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...