Work not saved at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Work not saved

I KNOW I saved my work, I'm compulsive about saving my work. I always, always "save as", never just save. Yet when I just opened my project which I spent hours on it was as if the work I had done never happened.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Additionally I saved it in two places on two hard drives, as I always do, and both are the same. I just don't get it.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 4th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

More to add to this mysterious issue: while rendering every so often PC freezes for a split second then resumes. This clearly must be a hardware issue.

I just need to keep working and see what else happens, I guess.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hardware issue resolved
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Major Player

To help those of us that might run into the same problem what was the problem/resolution?
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Still don't know, I only know the files on one drive were had issues in Vegas, same files on another hd were fine. I haven't had time to narrow it down further cause I'm under deadline.

Now I can't burn, burning process gets stuck at 66% at burning lead-in. This problem is totally unrelated as I can't burn anything including previous projects on other drives. Tried two different burners, one of them brand-spanking new.

Edit: I purchased a third DVD burner (this one an external) and it worked fine. The quality of PC components is terrible. I can't say how many bad DVD drives I've had or that wore out on me in no time. Even the new Corsair ram delivered the other day had one good stick, one bad.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 5th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have had similar saving issues...I "control-s" about every two minutes and last year in the 23rd hour of a deadline Vegas 7 froze. I rebooted knowing I would probably lose the last save, but no big deal. When I opened back up I was on the previous days version, several hours and hundreds of commands in the past. Just about broke me on that one...no explanation. The freezing hard drive issue is a drive (in my opinion) I often get that during HD renders at about 66%. The way I can tell if its a total loss is if the frame counter keeps crawling or sticks on a constant frame. Sometimes it just needs to work itself out and other instances it breaks. Here's a neat little Vegas trick... Try taking one clip and cutting out the middle of the clip and then cross fading the two ends....talk about chaos... its not in every try, but V8 gets real unstable when I do that. Still love Vegas though.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

OK guys I'll add my strange lockups to the mix - haven't yet lost anything to a failed save, unless I forgot to save it. I'm getting freezes during rendering, but only under certain conditions... using 8.0c... Q6600, 2G, XP, stable system, running a whole lot of stuff, rendering in the background...

So far I've found a couple things causing lockups (render to a certain point, then the timer keeps counting down, but the prview locks on a specific frame, and the rendered file stops at that point... have to three finger salute (C-A-D), close Vegas, ignore the "may lose data" message... and wait quite a while before Vegas finally closes, and I can just restart it with no problems...

The things I've found are causing lockups when I'm trying to render ALL seem to be when I'm rendering to 24p... First it was some credits (at the end of the render of course!), some worked fine, but somehow ONE of the inserted credits caused a lockup, I was able to replicate, and with some tweaking, get the credits to work partly, had to render just the credits and patch them onto the rest...

Second thing was a still I imported and cropped in Vegas... of course at 97% of the render... replicated, replaced still with a version cropped in an outside photo program... worked fine...

I'm getting the feeling there are a few small glitches in an otherwise pretty good program, it's just amazing how they seem to pop up at the render stage and most of the way through the render process - Murphy is in full glory - fortunately so far I'm finding workarounds, but in each case these "bugs" are replicable, which makes my wonder whether I'm just finding an obscure way to use the program, or if they could use a bit more testing!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...