DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Full Screen Preview of Timeline (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/137263-full-screen-preview-timeline.html)

Curtis Edwards November 5th, 2008 06:32 PM

Full Screen Preview of Timeline

Forgive me I searched but I did not find this.

I came to Vegas from Pinnacle Studio 12, one thing I always liked about Studio was, when playing the time line, I could double click the preview window and watch the playing preview full screen.

I can't seem to find this option in Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum, I only see reference to previewing on a second monitor? Does that mean I have to have a second monitor to preview playing my timeline full screen?

Sorry if this is a noob questions but I are one :-)

Edward Troxel November 6th, 2008 07:36 AM

One thing you can do is UNDOCK the preview screen (click on the column of dots in the upper left corner of the preview window and drag away). Then you can resize it as desired.

In the Pro version, if you pick "Windows Secondary Monitor" in the preferences and you don't have a second monitor attached, when you click on the External Monitor button, it will display full-screen on the primary monitor instead. Not sure if this is in the Movie Studio versions

Karim Amanali November 7th, 2008 08:57 AM

Sorry for going a little off-topic here but didnt want to start a new thread for it as hopefully the OP might need this info as well.

When previewing the timeline in the window i usually set the preview window at default or quarter so the playback is not jittery or lagging but how do you guys do any colour correction or making it brighter or sharper because its so hard to tell on the lower quality unless you set it to best and then the preview runs really slow. It could be my computer too i know but is there any other way around it? Hopefully Edward will come to my rescue on this one again ;).

Thank you.

Edward Troxel November 7th, 2008 10:22 AM

For SD, it's good to preview via firewire to an external calibrated monitor when color correcting. For HD, you'd need either one of the hardware cards for previewing HD or use the Secondary Monitor option or you can still use the firewire option downconverted to SD. I often add color correction to a single frame and then verify it works fine with other areas of the clip. There are many people here much more expert at color correcting than me, though.

Don Bloom November 7th, 2008 10:23 AM

PREVIEW AUTO should take care of just about all jitter and drop frame issues however trying to CC on a computer monitor is very difficult as 99% of them are not color corrected properly.
Obviously the best is a true production monitor with bluegun so it can be set up correctly but in lieu of that a small TV set to color bars can work quite well. I've tried in the past to CC off a computer monitor and frankly it's never quite right. I use a 12 inch TV that I've set to bars and it looks a bit different than the computer but it far more correct.
Of course a lot depends on the quality of the computer monitor and how finite the settings are.
YMMV.

Don

Curtis Edwards November 8th, 2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 960192)
In the Pro version, if you pick "Windows Secondary Monitor" in the preferences and you don't have a second monitor attached, when you click on the External Monitor button, it will display full-screen on the primary monitor instead. Not sure if this is in the Movie Studio versions

Thanks Edward that does also works in Movie Studio Platinum 9 as well!! Great tip thank you!

Also just found your forum, what a great resource. I just registered.