How do I set up Regions on a timeline as DVD chapters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Trustee

How do I set up Regions on a timeline as DVD chapters?

Is there a way to set up a timeline with video, separate into regions and these can be used as chapters on a DVD using Arch 3?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Unless I don't correctly understand what you want, in Vegas simply go to the beginning of each section of your video and press m to insert a marker.

Do not do this for the first segment as the first marker will be provided for you later/automatically in DVDA.

Render the project making sure the "save markers" box is checked.

Bring the video into DVDA and do the "insert scene selection menu" thing and then go into the scene selection menu and rename the first chapter and make any adjustments needed and you're good to go.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Great, thanks I will try that. I thought it could be done with "R" for regions, but I will try the "M" for markers instead.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Most all of my projects have chapters in DVDA and that is the only way I know of to do it. There may be other ways.

Actually, you can do nothing in vegas and create the markers/chapters in DVDA since you only have three sections. You would do the same thing in DVDA that you do in Vegas. You would double click the movie on the timeline of DVDA go below to timeline and insert marker, name it, and when finished creating all markers then create scene selection menu.
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

You definitely want to use "M" instead of "R". You simply need to indicate the BEGINNING of a chapter, not the entire length. When rendering, make sure the option to include markers is checked. DVD Architect should automatically pick up the markers and use them as chapter points. If you name the markers, it will also pick up those names. You *CAN* put a marker at the very beginning but it's not required.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Edward, why would you not want to use Regions? Ironically, I had never used regions until this week. I created regions, then used the Batch Render command to Render Regions, which I'll then use as chapters in a DVD Authoring program.

I've got lots of markers, but only some of them mark chapter points. What would I do about those other markers?
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I cannot imagine why you would use anything but markers...it's easy, it works, and that is what chapter markers are designed to do.

That's a good question about the extra markers. I don't use extra markers because I don't know what to do with them. But since most commercial DVDs only have markers and the beginning of chapters, I have always felt that was good enough for me. It would be nice to have the ability to insert them unnamed and not show up on the DVDA menu.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 9th, 2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Regions define a beginning AND ending point. Markers just define a location. Chapter points typically would start at a specific location and continue to the end so a region does not make sense for that. That and the fact that it's designed to use markers as chapter points. The newer versions of Vegas even add i-frames when rendering wherever you have markers so the chapter point can be exactly where you want it instead of the "next i-frame" - wherever that happens to be.

As for your "extra" markers, I see a couple of options.
1. Delete the ones you don't want to use for chapter points
2. Leave them and have extra chapter points but only put the "real" ones on the menu.

I'd probably do #1. Deleting via a script is fast and easy (i.e. using Excalibur I can delete all markers in a selection area at the push of a button).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward for clearing up the terminology. I was saying markers when I should have been referring to chapter points.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...