CAmera not recognized in Vegas 8.0c at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
Major Player

CAmera not recognized in Vegas 8.0c

I have been trying to capture Hi Def footage i took with my CAnon HV30 without much luck! I think i figured out its something in the settings, but not sure where they are. When i do a capture it defaults to Microsoft DV camera and VCR. How do i set it to capture the HDV footage?

And secondly, if i bring it in as HD can i out put it as Standard DV?

Thanks
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

When you choose "File - Capture" it should pop up a box asking if you want DV or HDV unless you check the box "Never ask me again". If you did say "Never ask me again", you can get that back by starting Vegas while holding down CTRL-SHIFT which will reset it back to factory defaults (but you'll lose any preference changes you've made). Instead, just go into Options - Preferences and go to the Video tab. There you should find an option that says "Use external video capture application" which should be checked. UNCHECK tab box and it will then be set to capture using the "Internal" HDV capture app instead. Make sure the camera is set to output HDV as well.

Yes you can capture HDV, edit HDV, and output SD for DVD.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Device Not Available

Ed,

Im not clearly understanding your reply..

" just go into Options - Preferences and go to the Video tab. There you should find an option that says "Use external video capture application" which should be checked. UNCHECK tab box and it will then be set to capture using the "Internal" HDV capture app instead. Make sure the camera is set to output HDV as well."

i begin the capture process, i go into preferences and i see the "Use external video capture application" IT is checked...are u saying to uncheck this box? I have tried it both checked and uncheked and keep getting Device not available. When i click the drop down window i get AJA Video Device, and IEEE1394/MPEG-2TS Device, thats all.

Forgive me for not catching right on to this....
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
Im not clearly understanding your reply..

...i begin the capture process, i go into preferences and i see the "Use external video capture application" IT is checked...are u saying to uncheck this box? I have tried it both checked and uncheked and keep getting Device not available. When i click the drop down window i get AJA Video Device, and IEEE1394/MPEG-2TS Device, thats all...
External capture app = DV
Internal capture app = HDV

These prefs are set in Vegas options on the video tab, not in capture options. These are two separate applications for two formats - DV and HDV.

Probably what your system sees as IEE1394/MPEG-2TS Device is your HV30.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Okay, I was able to bring footage in , but now i have .m2t files.

Where do i go with M2t files? Do i render them to become a High Def file? What format? I guess im asking now what do i do?

Thanks for the hand holding! I appreciate it
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

You drag them to the timeline and start editing. They *ARE* HD files.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...