What is the max. length/time for a DVD in Arch? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #31
Trustee

Using a constant bitrate of 2,848,000 - I managed to get almost 4.5 hours on a DVD. Now the quality isn't great, but at least I am starting to get somewhere. Now if I can just streamline the process for when the FINAL build comes, I should be ok - but I have yet to test out an actual PREPARE or BURN.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Half-D1 format

If you are going to cram a lot on a DVD, you can try half-D1 format. I've done this many times under PAL (352x576). With NTSC it will be 352x480. Looks funny if played on a PC, but DVD players play it back correctly.

You don't want to use CBR for the ultra long stuff. 2-pass VBR is best. If the Main Concept MPEG-2 codec can't handle it, try a freebie like HCenc.

Last edited by Dan Bridges; November 17th, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Dan Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #33
Trustee

What is this like Half D1 like as far as quality and stretching of the image to fit on a TV? What bit rate should I use in this case? I am using Marks Bit rate calculator and I don't see a setting for half D1. Is that in Vegas?
Thanks for heads up, if I can get the info from you, I will give it a try tonight!
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #34
Trustee

Does anyone know how I can get half D1 format? Do I just change the size in the "Video" tab under NTSC video stream DVD? Will this still render out to full size? Thanks

Also, can this be done if the project is finished and waiting to render?

Last edited by David Delaney; November 18th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #35
Inner Circle

David, forget about trying to do this with Vegas & DVDA as, for a 6 hr. DVD, the bitrate will end up being so low that your picture quality will be absolute garbage.
Do it on 2 discs and accept the poor quality that I know you're going to end up with.

Here's a comment about bitrates from John Meyer on a very recent thread on the Sony Vegas forum.

The important thing to understand is that the ONLY thing which determines file size -- and therefore how many minutes will fit on a disc -- is the bitrate. Resolution doesn't matter. If you encode 320x240 or 1920x1080 at 25 mbs, they will both end up at exactly the same file size. However, lower resolution requires fewer bits per second in order to achieve the same temporal quality (e.g., "mosquito" noise around fast-moving objects).
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...