DVD-r or DVD5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Major Player

DVD-r or DVD5

Greetings,

This might be a strange request, but one of our clients wants us to make a DVD for them printed the same way their current DVD is printed. I have one copy of the current DVD and my boss asked me if it is a DVD-r or DVD5. How on earth do I figure that out since it is labeled and I can't see anything?

I know this is kind of petty, but it is actually really important that I figure it out so my boss doesn't get too annoyed with me (I ask a lot of questions).

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

DVD 5 refers to the type and capacity which, in this case, is a standard single-layer single-sided disc (4.7 Gb).
Try DVD Identifier to see if it's a +R or a -R.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Ahh, I don't think I am explaining it correctly. hmm. I'm trying to find out if this is a profesionally manufactured DVD that will play in every DVD player or a standard DVD-R or +R with a very nice label on it.

Thank you for your help with this.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If this was a short program, flip it over and see if you can see a difference in the shading of the underside (light and dark areas).
If you can see something, it's a burned disc (i.e. homemade) as opposed to a replicated (i.e. professional) disc.
My guess is that, unless it's a client with very deep pockets, it's not a replicated disc as those cost $$$ to have done.

A properly burned DVD will play in any player.

I've personally burned thousands of DVDs (always -R) over the years and have never had a return.
As far as a label is concerned, anyone with a good inkjet printer, the right blank media and decent graphic skills can produce a very nice looking label on a DVD.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

To add to what Mike has said. You could get Nero to copy to a white ink jet printable DVD-R, use an Epson All-in-One printer that prints on these discs, use the included software to copy the label and print on the disc. You might have difficulty noticing the difference!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you guys! My boss loves the idea!

I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. I don't look like near the ignorant one that I did yesterday thanks to you.
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Oh, that DVD identifier is pretty slick. But on this disk, it says it is an unsuported file type. Do you think that means it is a stamped profesional DVD?

Thank you,

Jason

Oh, and is DVD Architect the best program to burn DVD-r's for maximum playback in different DVD players?
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I use Nero, burn at half speed ( ie 16x DVD at 8x etc) and burn with verify. That way Nero will verify that what it has burned on the disc is the same as the image file on the PC. I never use the burn programs in the Authoring programs, just use them to author and create the files. I don't have any authoring programs that will do a verify on the disc they burn, so I use Nero. Also use the best TAIYO YUDEN white ink jet disc too.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...