DVDA always want to Re-Render at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Major Player

DVDA always want to Re-Render

Until recently I was not having this problem. I have regular DV 60i footage, bottom field first, etc footage.
I use Vegas 8c to edit and render out using the supplied DVDA widescreen Mpeg template. The audio is encoded to AC3 with Vegas. The Template seems to be Variable bit single pass with Max bit rate of 9,000,000 avg (I forget) and min bit rate of 192kps. Is this the correct default? Or did I accidently mess up the default?

When DVDA gets it, I make menus, etc, and then prepare project, it always want to re-render the video. Looking under "advanced" it's default seems to be 8,000,000 for the video. It does not say anything about variable bit, ax-avg-min, etc.

The only thing I've changed was, in the Vegas 8 rendering, after selecting the DVDA widescreen DVD template, was I selected 2 pass encoding when I rendered, was selecting - 2 pass encoding. Is that what is screwing things up?

Thanks for any help. It seems I've seen other people have this problem, but I tried a quick search on here and it didn't seem to come up with exactly the same problem. The only thing I found was some one said to make progressive first - Something I've tried with bad results on any motion. Lately I've mostly been doing HDV to bluray, and I have not had the problem with DVDA wanting to re-render the video, just the audio sometimes- which isn't a bit deal. Also on this DV to DVD project, the re-render by DVDA looks terrible, more jaggies and kind of a watery flicker.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

sounds to me like you have the bitrate set too high and when you bring the job to DVDA it will want to re-render the job to fit the disc. First I never ever go over 8 for max bitrate.
second keep in mind a single layer DVD is not 4.7gig but 4.34 something to do with formatting. I also don't use the default template, I use DVDA video stream but for every job I reset the bitrate to fit. CBR or VBR shouldn't make a difference as to finished size.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don for the reply. Yes, It seems to me the old DVDA 3 that I had with V6 never went over 8Mbps in the default template. That is why I am surprised to see a top bit rate of 9.5Mbps in the default DVDA Widescreen template, and why I question if that is what everyone elses DVDA 5 widescreen DVD templates show, or if mine got corrupted some how.

However, even at this high bit rate, the overall 30min project was only taking up a bit over 2gb. I made several mods to the project and had burned disc's with DVDA at several steps along the way, befoe it started always wanting to re-render. I also, suspected that High bit rate might cause the problem, but it also did it when I dropped the max br to 8Mbps
I finally tried starting a new project in DVDA, and everything worked without re-rendering and all looks good (even with VBR up to 9.5Mbps). However, it is a bit time consuming to have to re-build all the menus and chapter names, etc. and I am still not sure why it did this. Thanks Don for help. Sincerrely - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...