How do you get high-def video files into Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you get high-def video files into Vegas?

I'm trying to get some TS files from my Hauppauge HD PVR into Vegas. I have version 7, 8.0c and 8.1 installed on my new quad-core PC running 64-bit Vista. Whether I try dropping a file into the timeline, importing it, or opening it in the Explorer window, all I get is error like "an error occurred while opening one or more files". I'm using a new version of the Arcsoft software that has the option of capturing in either TS or M2TS format, but neither type of file created by this software can be read by Vegas. I've also tried converting it to a .MP4 file, but I have the same problem. I can burn DVDs that will play these files on a Blu-ray player, but Sony can't read them.

I also installed version 7 on my older PC running XP, but I have the exact same problem. I have no problem with any of the older MPEG files I used with Sony 6, but I can't get any of the high-def stuff into the Vegas timeline. One of the things I liked best about Vegas with standard-definition video is that it could handle just about any type of file, but that doesn't seem to be the case with high-def video. If you read the tech specs from Sony's site, it is supposed to handle just about any high-def format, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any suggestions for converting these files to something Vegas will read?
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #2

You're gonna need to convert these to a compatible codec. It is possible that by unchecking the "Ignore third party codecs" in prefs...that you can read the file.
Vegas handles most high def formats, but there are a lot of codecs in standard containers ie; DivX that Vegas won't read.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I put in raw ATSC into my Vegas 7.0e and it works. Did you check that your Mainconcept MPEG-2 is registered?

You need to import it as .m2t or .mpg, not .ts. Experiment to see which one works.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
I put in raw ATSC into my Vegas 7.0e and it works. Did you check that your Mainconcept MPEG-2 is registered?

You need to import it as .m2t or .mpg, not .ts. Experiment to see which one works.
Jack makes a very good point. The original poster wrote that these were new installations - the MPEG-2 codec gets registered when you install and open DVD Architect.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Jack makes a very good point. The original poster wrote that these were new installations - the MPEG-2 codec gets registered when you install and open DVD Architect.
Thanks, I haven't installed DVD Architect from these newer versions as yet. I'll do that next.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
You're gonna need to convert these to a compatible codec. It is possible that by unchecking the "Ignore third party codecs" in prefs...that you can read the file.
Vegas handles most high def formats, but there are a lot of codecs in standard containers ie; DivX that Vegas won't read.

Thanks, DSE. I finally figured out something that works. I used the converter program that came with Arcsoft's Total Media Extreme to convert the TS files to AVCHD. The converted files have an MP4 extension. I also set the project properties to one of the 1280x720P formats and was then able to drop the converted files on the timeline. After rendering and burning to a DVD, I tested it on my PS3 blu-ray player and the results were pretty good.

I'll try your suggestion as well. It's been a while since I've used Vegas and I wasn't aware of the "ignore third-party codecs" setting. With the 64-bit version of Vista, I had to install a couple of codec packs before I could even get Windows Media Player to play the files, so it's possible some of the codecs could be causing problems. I also found a post in another forum where someone reported that Vegas would read files captured with the TME software on a PC that didn't have TME or any extra codecs installed, but that it wouldn't work on his HTPC.

I've read some posts that Cineform is included with Vegas and can be used to convert files to a format Vegas can read with very little loss of quality, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.
Ron Coleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...