DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   vegas 8.1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/138300-vegas-8-1-a.html)

Ian Planchon November 23rd, 2008 10:45 AM

vegas 8.1?

I put together a new computer, but stuck with windows XP, 8.1 still works right? or should I stick with 8.0c?

Ian Planchon November 23rd, 2008 10:52 AM

nevermind.......

Edward Troxel November 23rd, 2008 12:24 PM

8.1 only works on a 64-bit OS. If you install xp-64, some have gotten it to work there. Otherwise, 8.0c is what you want.

Ian Planchon November 23rd, 2008 12:48 PM

thanks, yeah, I read that under system requirements. shoulda looked there first!

Fred Helm November 25th, 2008 12:55 PM

We just built two X64's on Q9550 MB's one with Vista and the other with XP. Very problematic for broadcast level gear. VTR's not recognized, Cameras not recognized, 1394 x drives not recognized, and 1394 audio interfaces as well as Raylight wont work either. We are very dissapointed as we hoped for use of 8g of ram and the faster render times. Just too little support for X64. We installed x32 Vista and XP and everything works great and very quick. I had mentioned before we are previewing at full frame rates with 1440x1080i files, MPEG4 HD, 720P DVCPRO all in the same project file.

Hopefully we see stable x64 versions for our Vegas workflows in the near future.

Chris Swanberg November 25th, 2008 02:34 PM

I am running Vista 64 on an Intel Quad Core 9330 (I think that's the number) with 8GB ram and am running Vegas 8.1. So far I have no problems, and the render times are good. I can also video review at the BEST setting without much if any stutter.

I have my project files on an external hard drive using an eSATA connection.

Before I ran Vegas for the first time, I merely installed 6.0, then upgraded to 8.0, uninstalled 6.0 and then did the 8.1 downloaded upgrade to the 8.0 version. I then ran 8.1 for the first instance of Vegas on this puter.

Knock on wood, I seem to be avoiding some of the problems I have seen on here.

Jon McGuffin November 25th, 2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 968914)
I am running Vista 64 on an Intel Quad Core 9330 (I think that's the number) with 8GB ram and am running Vegas 8.1. So far I have no problems, and the render times are good. I can also video review at the BEST setting without much if any stutter.

I have my project files on an external hard drive using an eSATA connection.

Before I ran Vegas for the first time, I merely installed 6.0, then upgraded to 8.0, uninstalled 6.0 and then did the 8.1 downloaded upgrade to the 8.0 version. I then ran 8.1 for the first instance of Vegas on this puter.

Knock on wood, I seem to be avoiding some of the problems I have seen on here.

Chris, this is great to hear. Can I ask you what type of footage you are editing (HDV?) and also what resolution are you previewing that footage on the timeline? You mention you don't see "much" stutter but how does that translate into what you see is kind of an average frame rate during playback? Do you see much slowdown when transitions or color correction is applied etc?

Thanks for any info you may have on this..

Jon