vegas 8.1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Major Player

vegas 8.1?

I put together a new computer, but stuck with windows XP, 8.1 still works right? or should I stick with 8.0c?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

nevermind.......
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

8.1 only works on a 64-bit OS. If you install xp-64, some have gotten it to work there. Otherwise, 8.0c is what you want.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks, yeah, I read that under system requirements. shoulda looked there first!
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We just built two X64's on Q9550 MB's one with Vista and the other with XP. Very problematic for broadcast level gear. VTR's not recognized, Cameras not recognized, 1394 x drives not recognized, and 1394 audio interfaces as well as Raylight wont work either. We are very dissapointed as we hoped for use of 8g of ram and the faster render times. Just too little support for X64. We installed x32 Vista and XP and everything works great and very quick. I had mentioned before we are previewing at full frame rates with 1440x1080i files, MPEG4 HD, 720P DVCPRO all in the same project file.

Hopefully we see stable x64 versions for our Vegas workflows in the near future.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I am running Vista 64 on an Intel Quad Core 9330 (I think that's the number) with 8GB ram and am running Vegas 8.1. So far I have no problems, and the render times are good. I can also video review at the BEST setting without much if any stutter.

I have my project files on an external hard drive using an eSATA connection.

Before I ran Vegas for the first time, I merely installed 6.0, then upgraded to 8.0, uninstalled 6.0 and then did the 8.1 downloaded upgrade to the 8.0 version. I then ran 8.1 for the first instance of Vegas on this puter.

Knock on wood, I seem to be avoiding some of the problems I have seen on here.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I am running Vista 64 on an Intel Quad Core 9330 (I think that's the number) with 8GB ram and am running Vegas 8.1. So far I have no problems, and the render times are good. I can also video review at the BEST setting without much if any stutter.

I have my project files on an external hard drive using an eSATA connection.

Before I ran Vegas for the first time, I merely installed 6.0, then upgraded to 8.0, uninstalled 6.0 and then did the 8.1 downloaded upgrade to the 8.0 version. I then ran 8.1 for the first instance of Vegas on this puter.

Knock on wood, I seem to be avoiding some of the problems I have seen on here.
Chris, this is great to hear. Can I ask you what type of footage you are editing (HDV?) and also what resolution are you previewing that footage on the timeline? You mention you don't see "much" stutter but how does that translate into what you see is kind of an average frame rate during playback? Do you see much slowdown when transitions or color correction is applied etc?

Thanks for any info you may have on this..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...