Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #211
Inner Circle

Andy, that is great. I have an 850 also. I actually wonder if mine isn't holding me back from 4.0!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #212
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Andy, that is great. I have an 850 also. I actually wonder if mine isn't holding me back from 4.0!
I experimented a little more this morning and was able to get to 3.9 GHz stable with max. core temp. of 68 C. I tried 4 GHz and crashed once during boot and then after running Prime95 for about 5 minutes so I am going to stay at 3.9 GHz and be happy. This chip was a real bargain, considering what you can get out of it.

Andy
Andy Todzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #213
Inner Circle

Kinda good Morning,

I spoke to soon!!!!!

After capturing two hours of video last night today the HD Link says the device is not hooked up !!!! Vegas says Device not available!!!

I hear the beep when the computer recognizes the camera too. Actually it is a double beep so i wonder if it rreceives the input then beeps immediately as there is no connection?

I have a spare fire wire card on the shelf and I am about ready to install it and see.

Update

I switched the dial to the ext.cont. position and back. hd link recognized the camera but then shut down. I popped up Vegas 8.0c and low and behold all was well so I am capturing.

the camera works fine on my old computer it is just to slow to do the job right.

It seems like if you shock the computer somehow it then recognizes the camera.

Go figure??? Is it a vista issue you think?

More frustrated than ever!!
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #214
Inner Circle

Dale, it sounds like a motherboard issue, but who knows. One reason I ditched my Dell is it was woefully underpowered, and the onboard controllers were flaky. You might for one thing check into seeing if your model Dell has a more powerful power supply unit available.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #215
Inner Circle

Jeff,

I have had a dell p4 for 6 years and it has been super reliable with xp pro. Just not fast enough for todays work.

That is why I went with dell. Perhaps I should have gone with the xps730, which is higher powered for gaming.

If I install a pci fire wire card will it work seperately from the existing one??

I did not have this problem till after I used 8.1 to optimize the 64 bit rendering! I restored prior to that and it worked one time then shut down.

I am going to call Dell tomarrow.

I was wondering if others with the XPS 435 MT were having any similar problems.

Here are a list of the programs I have on it, perhaps one interfers?
Vegas pro 8c & 8.1
seneform
Mercalli
Excaliber
Adobe photoshop

some original programs that came with it but most stuff removed. None of the above causes in my xp dual core amd 4200. Two years back I tried to run vista on this "Vista ready Machine" and never got it right and went back to xp.
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #216
Inner Circle

Dale, good luck, sounds very frustrating.
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #217
Sponsor: JET DV

A separate PCI Firewire card should not interfere with the built-in one. That would definitely be a good test.

As another test, try a different CABLE.

As a third test, try the camera on a different computer as well.

I see no software in your list that would interfere with the firewire usage.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #218
Inner Circle

Edward, Jeff,

I was on the horn with Dell for 2 hours, Rebuilt the software clean start.

I tested every thing several times over, shut her down twice and re started and all was well.

I went to shoot an event from 2 to 4. Got home, fired it up, Same problems!!!!

I opend it up and it has no pci slots!!! only pci express, so the spare card I have can't even go into it!!.

On the phone tomarrow morning!!!

NOT HAPPY

fortunately my job today (has to be done by wednesday) is in DV so i I am working on my old media center, however slo it may be!!

Vista has an auto start up program and i was wondering if that is getting in the way as it wants to use a windows program to capture.
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #219
Inner Circle

Dale, I have had some issues with Vegas 8.1. Most people haven't, but I had preview issues with it. It was just real flaky for me in several ways.

I tried it on my new i7 and it STILL doesn't work correctly (for me).

If you have 8.1 installed, try looking at that. You might uninstall it and forget about it until you get 8.0c working, and then try it again. Personally with your nice processor you could probably live without 8.1 anyway.

It is likely not the cause of your problems, but at least it would eliminate one possible thing until you get your issues straighted out. I can tell you after trying it for the third time on a third PC I was glad to be rid of it, it never did anything for me.

It appears that in some cases the lower end Dell i7 PCs are built using controllers/MBs with issues.

My previous Dell (it was a workstation) had SATA contoller issues, they came out and replaced my MB twice, my firewire card twice.

They were as helpful as could be, but in the end I determined the PC I had chosen was not built for the demands of video and I built my own. The 350 watt PSU was likely the source of many issues. I know when I replaced the Dell I was awfully happy. I struggled with it for 18 months, and got a lot of good service out of it, but was sure glad to see it go. It was my fault...I shouldn't have chosen such a small system...
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #220
Major Player

HDVSplit utility for HDV capturing with scene split - HDV capture utility

You could try capturing using HDV Split. It gets pretty good press and, I think has the benefit of allowing you to silence audio on capture which then allows you to edit another project in peace!
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #221
Major Player

Dale-An interim solution for the project you are currently working on might be to transfer your captures and project file to an external drive (assuming you have one) and then you could at least edit and render on your newer faster system. Like Jeff, I too found my out of the box Dell systems lacking for my video needs and built my own system around a core 2 quad. I am looking forward to building an i7 soon. I loved the tech support with my old Dell and have been generally impressed with them but to get the system I really need i found DIY was the way to go... Good luck with your system and I hope you get the issues worked out.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #222
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Well after a couple hours on the horn to Dell we have the computer working like it should. Took a reinstall of everything.

I suspected software conflict within the system.

I have run several tests and it is alright.

I have not reinstalled 8.1, 8.0 does just fine, as some on here mentioned prior!! I should have listened.

I am reinstalling my work oriented softwares one at a time and running tests, so far so good.

This computer renders and burns dvd's so fast it is frightening.

I got my job done today for tomarrows deadline!!!

I burnt my first BR onto a dvd and I must say I love the quality.

Hope things stay in tune!!!
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #223
Inner Circle

Wow, Dale, that IS good news! Hoooray!
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #224
Inner Circle

dual boot drives and os

While this I 7 is an amazing machine and generally the 64 bit has been good. However, apparently Adobe flash 10 is not supported.

Two questions?

Do any of you have a dual boot system with vista 64 on on and Xp on the other?? (is there any problem doing that or would one need both to be xp or vista?)

I have found some programs do not go into the 86x profile.

If I needed flash which I do on occassions the xp would cover that as well.

Or, how would you run a 32 bit browser on a 64 bit machinne?????
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #225
Inner Circle

I don't have dual boot Dale.

I want to pass along that the i7 920 is at Microcenter for $229.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...