Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #316
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
No it isn't.
Optimal setup is OS and all programs on drive C, captures and all other project media (music, images, logos, grahics, etc.) on drive D and finished renders on drive E.
Thanks, I'd like to get things set up at least mostly correct the first time.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #317
Inner Circle

No problem Harry.
Remember to invest in backup software (such as True Image from Acronis) and image the drive twice, once after your OS install and a second one after all software is installed and running successfully.
After that, weekly images are recommended.
This way, if something does get messed up, you have a recent restore disk set ready to go.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #318
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
No problem Harry.
Remember to invest in backup software (such as True Image from Acronis) and image the drive twice, once after your OS install and a second one after all software is installed and running successfully.
After that, weekly images are recommended.
This way, if something does get messed up, you have a recent restore disk set ready to go.
Thanks again, I already have PC Backup Pro, it backs up absolutely everything you tell it to, including the registry and other settings.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #319
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Settle View Post
Thanks again, I already have PC Backup Pro, it backs up absolutely everything you tell it to, including the registry and other settings.
In that case, you're all set.
Enjoy your new toy :-)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #320
Major Player

Case comes today, everything else comes tomorrow.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #321
Inner Circle

Harry, new 8 core chips with 16 effective threads are on the way from Intel soon. If possible I would consider waiting to build with them. They may very well make the i7 look wimpy. And you can believe this: i7 do not solve all problems. I know, I am anxiously awaiting the new chips myself.

In case you haven't considered it also if you wait until after Windows 7 is released in October, you will not have to re-license. If you are currently using Windows 7 RC, then it is no issue. If you are buying a new copy of Vista for your new setup you may wish you had waited for Windows 7. The RC rocks. Win7 is the best OS ever, IMO.

Edit: I somehow missd the final two posts and see your stuff is on the way, never mind
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #322
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Harry, new 8 core chips with 16 effective threads are on the way from Intel soon. If possible I would consider waiting to build with them. They may very well make the i7 look wimpy. And you can believe this: i7 do not solve all problems. I know, I am anxiously awaiting the new chips myself.

In case you haven't considered it also if you wait until after Windows 7 is released in October, you will not have to re-license. If you are currently using Windows 7 RC, then it is no issue. If you are buying a new copy of Vista for your new setup you may wish you had waited for Windows 7. The RC rocks. Win7 is the best OS ever, IMO.

Edit: I somehow missd the final two posts and see your stuff is on the way, never mind
I noticed that one can buy Vista Ultimate 64 bit and get a free upgrade to Win 7.

When you say "soon" approx how long are you talking about? My current system has a bad controller in that it is temperature sensitive (thermal problems) and needs to be replaced ASAP! So how long do I wait if I wait? Right now it is like one foot on a banana peel and the other one dangling over a cliff!

I will have the needed funds on my birthday 8/21 and will need to order the new goodies then.

I figured as soon as I build something then the next greatest thing would happen and then make it obsolete. Always does.

Anyway, got an idea on a real time frame?

Note: I heard something about this elswhere and the person said that there will be yet another new socket. I am getting sick and tired of this 'new socket' crap all of the time because one not only has to get a new processor but also a new and EXPENSIVE motherboard!

Good part of it all is the current I7's will drop in price. Bad part is what I buy now will have costs twice as much as it would in a few months or whatever. :(

Then if one waits for the 8 cores and reasonable prices the 16 cores will come out and it all starts over again.

One has to determine when to stop waiting and when to start building and hope the timing is right for the then current budget...

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #323
Inner Circle

Don't know the details on free upgrades, or timeframes of that program. Go to Microsoft for that info. It seems at newegg only some versions come with a free coupon.

On the new Intel chips all I can find this morning is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_i9 .

Appears these are not 8 cores but 6 cores. I might have mixed up the specs with the upcoming new server chips. Not being released until Q1 of '10.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #324
Major Player

Good news is according to what I read is that the new chips will use the same socket.

Once that happens then one waits a bit for the latest bios to support it and then enjoy!

Meanwhile, I will be going with the I7. I am not doing anymore editing with this system (boredom!) until I get my new one built. I could clean up the place LOL!!! Anyway...

I was looking at some retail ones deciding if I want to build or just buy. I read reviews on an Asus - Essentio Desktop with Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Model: CG5290-BP007 at best bye and according to one review the person said it was designed as if a computer person built it instead of the normal junk. Something like that.

I looked at it on the Asus page and it looked like some kind-of wierd mess that I certainly would not build.

So I will build one myself like I always do.

Danny Fye
VidMus Video - Music Productions
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #325
Regular Crew

Ya, now is a really bad time to be building a new Windows system. But if I had to do it, I'd probably go with a barebones Win7 RC system, then format and install Win7 when it's released 10/22/09.

Note that Win7 RC is only available for download until 8/20/09, so get a copy NOW if you may need it. Know also that it cannot be upgraded to the release version, and it will expire (3/1/10).

I too learned years ago never to wait for a new CPU release. The record for me was one day in the 90's when I ordered one during lunch, only to read near the end of lunch that a new CPU had been released! You just can't live life waiting for the next big thing, especially since you won't be able to afford it until after a few price drops anyway.
Joe Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #326
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Parker View Post
I too learned years ago never to wait for a new CPU release. The record for me was one day in the 90's when I ordered one during lunch, only to read near the end of lunch that a new CPU had been released! You just can't live life waiting for the next big thing, especially since you won't be able to afford it until after a few price drops anyway.
Good point. The CPU industry is fast paced enough that by the time a given CPU is released, a newer and faster version is announced or at least leaked. So the "hold-out" for the latest and greatest will never buy - they will perpetually wait because something faster is always coming.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #327
Major Player

I tend to wait to the cost comes down a little, and there is wider adoption before jumping on a new processor. Gives you more motherboard options (if the case of a new socket) and allows the price of other components (Ram, coolers, etc) to catch up and come down some too. I will probably snap up an i7 early next year, since that will be about 3 yrs since last upgrade to core 2 quad extreme... depending on the price point of the new intel chip and if it has been released yet...
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #328
Major Player

What do you think of this machine?

Costco - $1,099.99 after $400 OFF Dell Studio XPS Core i7-920 2.66GHz 512MB ATI Radeon HD4670

I don't normally buy 'off the shelf' machines, but this looks like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think of the specs -- what is this lacking, or what else do you recommend go into this one?

Or should I be looking elsewhere? Again, I've normally had my machines custom built in the past. The nice thing about that is that there isn't any extra crap (that bog down a machine) when getting a custom built machine. Insomuch as that, what can I do to get rid of the stuff that these 'off the shelf' machines come with.

I'm running vegas 8.0c build 260 currently, edit mostly HDV and have a very old machine.

I'd also like a duo boot as to be able to run XP.... advisable?

Thanks for you input --
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #329
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Binder View Post
The nice thing about that is that there isn't any extra crap (that bog down a machine) when getting a custom built machine. Insomuch as that, what can I do to get rid of the stuff that these 'off the shelf' machines come with.
That is why I bought an Alienware 5 years ago (or was it 6 . . .yikes this system is old!). All their systems (at the time) were delivered "clean" with no OEM crap software. HP / Compaq / Dell are the worst offenders when it comes to bundling their systems with loads of trial software, "helpful" updater apps, and "support" apps for buying accessories.

As others have said, some stuff might be ready to drop this fall, so unless you need it NOW, then sitting tight for a few months might save some $$$ till the pre-Christmas specials. Just be sure to record prices for the components now, so you will know if the retailer jacked up prices before T-Day and then "lowered them" back to where they were (I always suspected that retailers did this, but I never remember to check them on it).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #330
Trustee

Another thing to keep in mind is that nVidia CUDA extensions might be available in the future for the next gen of HD codecs (like AVCHD, MP4, etc). So if you are going to buy OEM, know your upgrade path and cheap out on the GFX card (since vegas doesn't use it any way) and buy the exact card you need for future CUDA compatibility should you have the ability to leverage some 3rd party software.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...