Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 9th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #406
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
Either memory I listed would work fine right?
I think both of those speeds are available in a variety of latency ratings. The i7 memory controller seems more sensitive to latency timings than to memory clock speeds.

Second, it is best to keep the memory multiplier to as low as possible. If all of the "overclocking" guides recommend keeping that memory multiplier to 6 or 8 (compared to the base frequency of your CPU, which in all i7s and their cheaper derivatives is 133MHz at stock), this means that you normally should not run memory any faster than DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) when you run your 920 at stock speeds. If you do stretch out the memory multiplier well above 8, you might end up actually increasing the overall latency of the memory subsystem, causing some drop in overall system performance. (An exception to this rule is higher-speed memory which has auto-detection of XMP profiles for the rated speeds of those modules; in such a case, the difference in memory bandwidth then becomes great enough to offset the increase in overall memory subsystem latency caused by stretching the multiplier too far.) But purchasing higher-speed memory does give you some room for overclocking your CPU.

Last edited by Randall Leong; February 9th, 2010 at 03:43 AM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #407
Major Player

hey everyone thanks for your help.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #408
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
The choice between the two depends on the quantity of systems to be resold or given away and the frequency of such resales: If you're only occasionally building a few systems here and there to resell to someone else, you'd need the System Builder edition; if you're regularly building a bunch of systems to resell to other people, you'd need the OEM edition. If on the other hand you are building systems for your own personal use, the only edition of Windows that's legitimate for your use would be the retail-boxed edition.
I may be misreading the tone here but I find this reply a little overly negative. All versions of Win 7 would be "legitimate." The OEM and system builder just do not come with back of house support and yes the system builder license is for someone building for someone else but it does not prohibit you from being the end user, it does require you provide your own support. So any of the above installs would be legitimate but only the retail boxed edition comes with Microsoft support. When was the last time you contacted a Microsoft tech for support, anyone?

Kajito,
I am an avid Hitachi fan. I have had issues with seagate drives in the past and even though I know I am in the minority on this I have avoided them ever since. I have run deckstars in 320GB, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB, and now 2TB variants and have never had an issue once. I do know that the 1.5 TB were a little glitchy on XP when they first came out but do not know of anyone having issues with them since.

As to the power supply, I would recommend the 850W. It leaves you more room for expansion without starving your system down the road. I run an Ultra x4 850W on my i7 build and have been quite pleased. Although for the components you listed it seems like the smaller PS would suffice, the 850W leaves you plenty of room to max out HDD and opticals down the road without stressing your system. Hope that is helpful.
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #409
Major Player

hi Bryan,

I already placed an order for the 750W I'm expecting delivery tomorrow but thanks anyway.
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #410
Major Player

I've actually had a System Builder version of Windows, purchased at a computer store, whose Windows Update and its automatic update function ended up being permanently disabled simply due to the failure to resell the system to another person. So, I could no longer even get any updates for that Windows installation until I replaced that copy with a retail-boxed version. It turned out that Microsoft can legally send you software which permanently disables the function and won't even let you know about it until it came time to update the system (the easiest way to do so would have been to simply register the software with the same name or address for both the system builder and the owner). They've actually done that to quite a few machines even though none of them were using "p****ed" copies. (This came back in the early days of Vista; Microsoft instead now sends you software which simply causes an annoying change in the desktop wallpaper at varying intervals if the Windows installation is so flagged.)
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #411
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
hi Bryan,

I already placed an order for the 750W I'm expecting delivery tomorrow but thanks anyway.
I am sure it will work for you, especially considering your current config. Let us know what you think of your upgrade. Happy building.

Randall,
Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I must say it is the first I have ever heard of anyone experiencing this with a verified product key. Is it possible you got a hacked key by accident? I have heard of some people buying online (from an auction site) and getting a valid item but the retailer selling the key to multiple users. Glad you got it squared away though. In my case, i registered everything under me and have had no problem updating Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #412
Inner Circle

Never had an issue with a OEM version of Windows...gotta watch where you buy it I guess. Newegg, tiger direct sell good ones.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:19 AM   #413
Regular Crew

what setup is out there to buy without building a system

well i just ordered vegas9, and want to buy a pc already setup, best buy to do basic editing, not animation, 3d or anything fancy. my old computer is so slow, taking several hours to render one hour of hdv in cineform set a high. any suggestions...as i am new at editing, even tho i have shot for years on hdv. finally can afford a computer in the $1200 range or less. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #414
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Hp has a desk to with an i7 processor and two docable bays for hot chnage of hard drives. It runs about the amount you want to spend. I recomended it to a friend instead of the Dell equivalent (which I have, an xps studio) and he has had no complaints yet.

Oh yea it was on sale at costco.

dale guthormsen
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #415
Regular Crew

i checked costco and there is no hp available..only del and another manufacturer. any other suggestions?
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM   #416
Trustee

is CostCo the only vendor you are able to use for the purchase? They will most likely only have lower end "consumer" systems and for your price point, you could build a fantastic i7 system.

Also, do you need everything associated with editing, or just a refresh on the actual tower? In other words, do you need a shuttle Pro (highly recommended), software plugins (VASST / Excalibur, etc), monitors, HDDs, etc etc.?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #417
Trustee

I agree, building a system is the only way to go. And it is much easier than you may think. This web site, MY SUPER PC How To Build A PC - A Computer Building Guide, is really all you need to learn it.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #418
Regular Crew

thanks..no i am not limited to costco..simply the former respondents reply. i hope to find either refurbished, etc anywhere. windows 7, intel chip i7? thanks again for all the suggestions. bill
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #419
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Randall,
Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I must say it is the first I have ever heard of anyone experiencing this with a verified product key. Is it possible you got a hacked key by accident? I have heard of some people buying online (from an auction site) and getting a valid item but the retailer selling the key to multiple users. Glad you got it squared away though. In my case, i registered everything under me and have had no problem updating Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
Actually, that key was verified when it was originally installed but the original installation disc and the booklet containing the product key were later stolen from me (I hate burglary!). Then, when it came time for updates my installation came up as "p****ed."
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #420
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Boehm View Post
... i hope to find either refurbished, etc anywhere. windows 7, intel chip i7? thanks again for all the suggestions
William, since you don't seem interested in building, have you considered contacting Tiger Direct and getting a system built by them? They are very good in quality and service and could help you design the system you need. There are many companies out there who build custom systems if you want to search them out just make sure they have a good reputation and a good service plan. The Geek Squad here (part of Best Buy in case readers are not familiar) will create custom systems too. You can also buy custom configurations direct from HP and Dell but I find their pricing and extra software problematic. Good luck and let us know which way you go and how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
Actually, that key was verified when it was originally installed but the original installation disc and the booklet containing the product key were later stolen from me...
I would say that is the reason you had the issues, not the OEM. It would be helpful to mention that in the future. Thanks for the update.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...