Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Update Us!

Thought I would bring this back to top. So what are you guys seeing with your new systems?
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #62
Major Player

I'm just in the niddle of the great pc shuffle at the moment. Should have it powered up over the hols.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Mine showed up a couple of days ago, but haven't fired it up it yet - still agonizing over whether to bite the bullet and get another 30" Apple Cinema display for it or something smaller.

The way my workspace is set up I think I have room for three of the 30 inchers so the second one would fit OK and I could eventually have two on the new machine and one on the old machine. And the graphics card I have in both the old and new machine will support two of them at full resolution.

And two of them would look so neat.

And I'd have space for all those palletes

And they'd look so neat...

Decisions, decisions! I wish someone besides my wife would tell me why I don't want that second 30 incher! Help me before I do my part to revive the economy!!!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #64
Trustee

Hi guys, just wanted to know how much would cost in Europe the pc you'r talking about.Do you think there will be a lot of difference between a Intel core2 duo EXTREME x 9000?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to know how much would cost in Europe the pc you'r talking about.Do you think there will be a lot of difference between a Intel core2 duo EXTREME x 9000?

thx
Keeping in mind that I do not have an i7 (but that I am a huge computer hardware geek) my opinion is that the i7 will be MUCH MUCH faster than the Pynron core based x9000 CPU. The x9000 CPU is a NOTEBOOK cpu and as such is designed to go easy on power, and to be a scaled down version of a full desktop CPU.

The i7 is designed to be as fast as absolutely possible, and not be bottlenecked by notebook power restrictions.

If you are constrained by a budget, then I'm sure the x9000 will be a good alternative. If you can afford both, but are wondering about the relative performance difference, I would expect the i7 to be easily TWICE as fast, if not more, than the x9000, primarily because the i7 is a 4 core chip and the x900 is 2 core, but also because of the different intended uses of the chip.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Jim FYI, the HP 30" monitor is priced less and seems to have better specs than the Apple. Reviews for the HP are impressive. Available at newegg.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #67
Major Player

Question for any of you Dell i7 users. Does your eSATA work?

Mine worked briefly (recognised the drive) then hung my system. Now....no matter what way I try it, I get nothing.

Have tried a few differennt drives and two different enclosures.
Old December 26th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Alastair, is your e-SATA integrated or a PCIe card? The reason I ask is because I've had issue with Dell integrated contollers in the past. Actually, I've had issues with integrated controllers in other systems as well.

I personally have been so disappointed with integrated controllers I've vowed to never use them again.
Old December 26th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #69
Major Player

It's incorporated into the MOBO by the looks of things. It's located in amongst all the USB/Sound/Optical/Firewire/Network connections.
Old December 26th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Well, I don't know if you have a workstation or consumer pc, but I do know their support for my last Dell workstation was outstanding.

You might try their live support, it was fast and very responsive. This is likely a common issue, and they may have a suggestion. Their first question will be if your bios and chipset drivers are the latest. If there is a newer, separate driver for your e-sata controller you should update that before calling also.
Old December 26th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #71
Trustee

Jeff is right!Dell support is awesome.Maybe the best custumor service you can get from a brand that sell pc.
I have an extrem x9000 cause i have a laptop,it was the best out there last summer when i purchased my precision...Is there a better option 4 the laptops right now?

Talking about prices:how much are uyou spending for theese fast machines?
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM   #72
Major Player

As a current Dell Financial customer in my last statement was an insert offering a $399 discount on a config of the Studio XPS with the i7. The sale price is $1099 and includes a 22" monitor. Other details are 6gb RAM, Vista Premium, 2 year warranty. The deal expires Jan 25 and if anyone wants to check it out you can enter the "E-Value" code in the Dell search area and it should come up. The E code is: 6M257-DXCDZZ2

I have been sorely tempted to order this as an upgrade from my dual core system but as I am just starting my Wedding Videography biz and don't expect to be doing much editing until Spring I am gambling even better deals will be available then.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:13 PM   #73
Inner Circle

You are absolutely right, the deals will get better. Wise decision to wait if you don't need it now.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:05 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Just built my i7 today and I'm loving it. Before my previous computer choked so much on AVCHD now I'm trying to see what will make Vegas stumble. So far everything went shockingly well.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Ok Guys!

What are some of you finding out with your new systems?
John Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...