Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #76
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Griffin View Post
What are some of you finding out with your new systems?
I'm finding out my eSATA port no longer works. But....the guys above were right, seriously good customer service from Dell. Called them and they are sending out someone to my house in two days to replace the mobo.

Here's hoping I then have a working eSATA port and can get on with some proper testing. At present, this is holding me back from being able to say how smooth playback is and how quickly rendering is going as I am having to use USB2 which is slower.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #77
Major Player

I'm excited to be joining the i7 Club tomorrow - another Dell Studio XPS user here, chose to buy a new PC rather than sinking hundreds of $$ to upgrade my dual core 32-bit machine. Got a great deal on the 121M configuration (i7 920 CPU, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD, ATI 4850 graphics card).

I'll be setting it up to run Vegas Pro, downloading the 64-bit version from Sony ... any pointers or advice for this process? Thanks!

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #78
Major Player

I should mention that I'm an existing Vegas Pro user (version 8.0c)
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #79
Inner Circle

If you're new to Vista, read up on tweaks to mimimize OS drains on your resources.

Install 8.1 first thing after you've tweaked it. Remember to defragment your HD after installing new programs.

I personally zero out the new hard drive as soon as I boot up a new Dell and reinstall Windows. If all you have is a restore disc and they didn't give you an OS disc, then there isn't much point in doing that.

Be prepared that 8.1 might not work perfectly. When I click on the external preview button in 8.1 Vegas freezes and I have to shut down. I can't use it. Also Excalibur is the only plugin that works with 8.1.

Most have found it works fine, but not everyone, so be ready for that.

Install 8.0c after you install 8.1. 8.0c works fine installed with 8.1 already on there.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #80
Inner Circle

i7

I will be receiving my I7 computer in the next day or two.

I was going to build one but after reading this list I went to dell and opted for an xps 435 MT.

I kept it base knowing I will upgrade to raid and more internal drives in a month or two from now.

I7 920 (2.66 gh) processor, 6 gigs of tri channel ram

750 gig hard drive (I have a 1 t external that allows interchanging hard drives)

dual layer dv d burner (bluray to come later) to do my test burning on.

Out the door for 1,164.40 Canadian. I could not get the parts for that.

Big step up from my dual core ath 64 HP media center and my upscale P4!!!

Thanks for the advice on this board!!!

Now to over clock it to 3 gigs and add a cooler.
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #81
Major Player

Jeff, thanks again for the great advice - I really appreciate it!

My last Dell came with reinstall discs for both Windows and Dell apps, so I should have both. I was actually interested in getting a 160GB drive for the OS and applications, and using the 750GB for media (in addition to another external drive). I'm not using external preview or plug ins right now so I should be okay with 8.1 ... but what other advantages would there be to installing 8.0c after I install 8.1? Thanks again -

Sam
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #82
Inner Circle

If you're getting a 160GB drive after your computer arrives you might consider the Western Digital Velociraptor. Fastest "regular" drive around. They have 150GB size and 300GB. Worth every penney.

Be careful that your power supply is more than 400w. My last Dell had a weak power supply and caused me all kinds of issues because I ran it maxed out. You should likely need at least 500w and preferably more. I was warned befored I bought mine, didn't listen and was sorry. That was a reason I built my own computer this time, because you can't upgrade power supply on all Dells. On your model you might be able to, I don't know, but if you do you will have to buy it from Dell, you can never upgrade to non-Dell PSU.

Advantages to install 8.0c? Well, first of all if you use any plugins with Vegas they will not work with 8.1. If you do not use plugins, you don't have to install 8.0c. But if 8.1 doesn't work right for you you can always install 8.0c later, you don't have to install right away.
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #83
Major Player

I too am taking delivery of 17. Has some software preinstalled which I would rather have not had, but that was the 'deal'. PLan to install 8.1 first, as I guess that is the recommendation, (I have 8c on my dual core) which was an upgrade from 7 and from 6 etc.
Where do I get my install codes and how does that work as they were upgradess?

Also where do I find the Vista tweaks mentioned? I have always used XP and have some reservations about Vista.
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #84
Inner Circle

If I may suggest, if your system comes with a copy of OS, not just a restore disc, you might consider cleaning HD and installing OS by itself. As soon as I take new system out of box first thing I do is have a floppy disc ready with a format utility.

Vista will work fine, don't even worry about it. Your PC was designed for Vista. Do a search for Vista Tweaks...you'll find plenty!
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #85
Major Player

I just builit from the ground up a completely new i7 system over the weekend, installed Vegas 8.0c and 8.1... Everything so far has been extremely positive for me.. The system hasn't had one single hickup and I've even overclocked it to a modest 3.0Ghz (from the 2.66Ghz stock 920 chip). It's absurdly fast and I hope to have the time in the next few days to write a detailed review and show some performance numbers when I'm done.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #86
Major Player

I just got my Dell i7. I am very envious of those of you who can build your own systems, mainly because of the upgrading and tweaking that you can do. I have always had good luck witth my Dell systems and that is why I stay with them but they apparently use some proprietary parts that keep you from doing things like overclocking!! Apparently you can't even increase the size of the power supply without going to Dell for the part.
Now my question-- I notice on the MoBo that there is only one PCI slot (I think thas what it is called) and it is occupied by the video card (ATI) There are three other slots but I have never seen slots like them before - really short like an inch or so long. Can someonne tell me what these are and what DELL PART you could pay dearly for to place in them. Can't see how you could go with dual video cards or add an audio card unless its some new kind of card.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Those are PCIe slots, Terry. That's PCI Express.

PCIe slots are not exclusive to Dell, so don't worry about that. Most any add in card should be available in PCIe nowadays. PCIe is the new, faster version of PCI, that's all.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #88
Inner Circle

Can you post your exact model name for me? I'd be interested to check out the specs, if you don't mind.

Jon, that is way cool, we'll be wating for you review!
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #89
Major Player

Jeff, if you were asking me for the model number I will get it when I get home tonight. Might also have a list of how it was configured. (Fairly minimally) (But what do you want for $1200) :>)
Another question. It was supposed to be configured with a 19-1 card reader built in but they forgot to build it that way. I got a notice that they will send me a USB 19-1 card reader free. Besides plugging up one of the USB ports will this external reader function as fast and as well as one built in. I don't know what the differences in connections are. It is USB2.

By the way I bought this Dell from Costco online. It was shipped from Dell. It appeared to be a couple of hundred cheaper than what I could configure from Dell themselves. I have always dealt dirctly with Dell before.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #90
Inner Circle

That's a good question about the card reader. I don't know how it would have been hooked up before. Possibly with a cable directly to a connection on the motherboard. Will the USB version be as fast? Hmmmm.

What kind of cards are you going to need to have read, anything in particular?

Hopefully some Vegas guru with experience with card readers will respond. Overall it should be fine, I just don't know if you are using cards with video files on them if that will be too slow or not.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...