Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
Jeff, if you were asking me for the model number I will get it when I get home tonight. Might also have a list of how it was configured. (Fairly minimally) (But what do you want for $1200) :>)
Another question. It was supposed to be configured with a 19-1 card reader built in but they forgot to build it that way. I got a notice that they will send me a USB 19-1 card reader free. Besides plugging up one of the USB ports will this external reader function as fast and as well as one built in. I don't know what the differences in connections are. It is USB2.

By the way I bought this Dell from Costco online. It was shipped from Dell. It appeared to be a couple of hundred cheaper than what I could configure from Dell themselves. I have always dealt dirctly with Dell before.
I wouldn't get upset about your predicament. I get hacked off at all the un-necessary drives that show up on my computer as a result of this 19 in 1 reader.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #92
Inner Circle

Jeff,

I went through all the Dell I7 computers.

The model number I ordered is this, xps 435 MT. Ironicly I wet to the sigth to look it up and could not fined it, just the 730x which was my first choice but really was a high profile gamer.

I bought it Bas. I did not want card readers, you can buy a usb card reader for peanuts if you want one!!

If I can overclock the computer, what kind of cooler should one put on it??? preferably not an expensive 500 dollar dell liquid cooling system!!!!

Has anyone tried overclocking the del I7's???

for tweaks, just google it and there are several obvious tweaks and they give specific directions to do so!!

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/s...eaks.htm#seven

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

some of these have no value to the editor, but as you can see some do!
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #93
Inner Circle

Sorry Dale. If you got a base model you cannot overclock it, I would almost guarantee it.

If this bothers you be sure to return it immediately. Only the higher end gaiming Dells can be overclocked, and they are usually overclocked at the factory.

Otherwise, congratulations on your new purchase! Sounds like fun!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #94
Inner Circle

Dale, if you use BVs tweaks, I personally do not believe it is wise to disable UAC. Many, including myself, have found issues with Vista after disabling. Otherwise I do like Black Vipers's list of items to disable in Vista. His was the first site I used for tweaking info years ago.

BTW everyone, I can't believe the price on the Intel Core i7 920, its under $300 at Newegg.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; January 13th, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #95
Inner Circle

Jeff,

Well, I was going to run it natively anyway and then over clock if necessary. I suspect that I should be able to edit hd with this computer.
What do you think??

I reckon one could edit in proxy files (right?) then render to hd when completed.

I plan on using my Vegas software which I had purchased just for that purpose, and now I love using it over my adobe 1.5 suite.

the Hd is a new step for me as I have been using an xl2 to date.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #96
Major Player

Jeff & Dale,
Here is a link (I hope) to the computer I bought (although it came without the card reader):
Costco - $1,299.99 after $500 OFF Dell XPS 435MT Core i7-920 2.66GHz 6GB DDR3 640GB HDD.
If the link does not work just copy the address into your browser.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #97
Inner Circle

With a 23" monitor? That is insane. You got the deal of the century for such new technology, and you got an e-Sata port. Absolutely ridiculous!

Only thing I personally don't care for is the size of the case, you can't add many HDs. But who cares?

At that price you can work around that!

Yes Dale you can edit Hd with that.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #98
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
With a 23" monitor? That is insane. You got the deal of the century for such new technology, and you got an e-Sata port. Absolutely ridiculous!

Only thing I personally don't care for is the size of the case, you can't add many HDs. But who cares?

At that price you can work around that!

Yes Dale you can edit Hd with that.
Dell are doing some crazy deals at the moment. You simply couldn't get close to what theyre spec was going down the DIY route. The UK version didn't have the 23" monitor but DID come with a Blu Ray burner and 19 in 1 reader. The eSATA (if it works) gets you around the lack of hard drives. Just swap em out!

Now....lets add Windows 7 into the equation. Hearing good things about it!
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #99
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
and 19 in 1 reader. The eSATA (if it works) gets you around the lack of hard drives. Just swap em out!
It was supposed to come with the 19-1 reader. They forgot to configure it that way. I got an email saying they were going to send me an external USB2 reader.

Whats the major differences between eSATA and Firewire external drives? I would hope the eSATA was operative.

Also I did not get an OS disc, so staring clean will be nearly impossible to do - at least for me.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #100
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
It was supposed to come with the 19-1 reader. They forgot to configure it that way. I got an email saying they were going to send me an external USB2 reader.

Whats the major differences between eSATA and Firewire external drives? I would hope the eSATA was operative.

Also I did not get an OS disc, so staring clean will be nearly impossible to do - at least for me.
eSATA transfer speed is 300 MB/sec
Firewire 800 transfer speed is 98.25 MB/sec
USB 2.0 transfer speed is 60MB/sec

eSATA gives you a MUCH faster data transfer speed which should make things run a lot more smoothly.

It effectively gives you the same ultra fast internal connection your hard drives have but externally.

I use a caddy that lets me drop in bare 1tb drives so I can just hot swap them with different projects.

My only problem is that the eSATA port dies on my new Dell. Was supposed to get a new MOBO fitted but they are now just giving me a full new PC (bit of a pain as I spent 3 days configuring this one!)
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #101
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
My only problem is that the eSATA port dies on my new Dell.
You mean more than once? Thats not good - not that once is good - well you know what I mean.

Thanks for the information on the connection speeds. I have a bunch of external firewire harddrives. Lookos like I'll be collecting eSata drives now.

BTW I didn't get a BR burner because I felt that I could get one and install it for less than they would charge, besides it wasn't included in 'the package'.
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #102
Trustee

I have been following this thread with great interest as I am in need of getting a new computer, my old HP 120 gig HD) is on its last legs. I do a lot of editing with Vegas 8.c I can see needing an i7 processer, and the deal at Costco ($1,299.99 for the Dell XPS 435 mt) looks great. Has anyone looked at the Gateway FX-6800-01e for $1,249.99? How would that compair to the Dell XPS 435? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #103
Inner Circle

If you prefer 3GB of ram to 6GB, and you do not need the 23" monitor that comes with the Dell the Gateway looks fine.

The Gateway case appears larger.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #104
Trustee

Just saw the Dell XPS 435mt at Costco for $999.00 without the 23in monitor.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #105
Inner Circle

MOBO, CPU and ram alone will cost $800.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...