Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #121
Inner Circle

Good lookin' out Jon, didn't think of that.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #122
Major Player

hehe

That's funny because most 7000 series cards were, to my knowledge, mostly going out PCI-E but I know card producers were still definately producing AGP versions... So I figured it was about a 70/30 he has the PCI-E going but I suppose it's a good thing I mentioned it!! :)

Andy, If you run into problems assembling that system and need some advice/help from afar, don't be affraid to ask me.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #123
Regular Crew

Thanks Jon. I actually have the same card as a PCI-E in a dual core computer which was the "new" computer 2 years ago. I decided to update the video card in my old computer to give it a little more life. My biggest concern is Vista 64 and if it won't like some programs. I am not sure if I will migrate to the new computer as an everything computer or keep the dual core running for everything else and just run Vegas, Photoshop, and related apps on the new computer. The only thing I don't like about the two computer situation is that my monitor, an NEC 2690, can only store the calibration for one computer, even though it has dual DVI inputs and can switch back and forth by a press of a button on the front.
Andy Todzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #124
Major Player

Well, the kinds of questions you are asking are very similiar to the ones I was asking a few weeks ago...

Here is what I've done...

#1) I purchased Windows Vista Ultimate so I'd have both versions (64-bit and 32-bit).

#2) As soon as I built my system I started to run through the optimization process on Vista. I disabled all the aero junk, returned to a classic interface. Turned off restoration, stopped Indexing of disks (I don't search much), etc. I also moved my system partition to a drive other than my OS drive.

#3) I didn't install an anti-virus software but did leave Windows defender and UAC on. I don't really mind the prompts actually and I never visit questionable sites and I don't use this system for downloading emails, I leave all my emails on the server and only open up attachements I know..

#4) I run all kinds of software on this system including photoshop, quicken, taxcut, utilites, winamp for playing music, etc. For years it was all about a dedicated editing machine to optimize performance but frankly, my system runs just great and I haven't noticed a beat skipped in terms of performance. It just feels as though hard drive fragmentation, things operating in memory, etc are a thing of the past on this slick new 64-bit OS with 6GB of RAM and 4 cores (8 if you include hyperthreading) system.....

That's my two cents...

Jon
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #125
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

I have had my Dell 435MT running the I7 920 processor for a couple weeks now. I leaned it up and tweaked it as much as I am comfortable doing, did not remove restore!!!

Does anyone know if the fire wire is 400 or 800 protocol?? Want to use an 800 external hd.

how is the Esata?? I heard it was best if sata stayed in the machine????

So far no issues with the vista home premium.

I have been editing native HDV from my xlh1 and editing it in 8.0c.

I must say that it is quite good and while I have only been working on 3 minute segments It works as if it were DV.

I am rendering 9 minutes of video at this moment and it is taking about 20-25 minutes, do not know if that is good, seems workable for me.

I am new to the hd and i susupect that when I start building larger pieces combining numerous segments it may bog down, am I correct in this?
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #126
Major Player

On paper eSATA should be a far better option than Firewire 400 or 800. However, on my Dell, it died. Got a new one sitting waiting to replace it when I find the time.

Esata merely offers a connection route to one of the internal motherboard sata slots to the outside world.

If your motherboard supports hot swapping eSATA then no reason not to.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #127
Major Player

Yes, this is absolutely true. eSATA is no different that SATA inside your case. Essentially all that is being done is a cable is being routed from inside the case to your external unit. Your computer doesn't know where the physcial hard drive is sitting in your case or out of your case.

And eSATA blows Firewire 400/800 and certainly USB 2.0 out of the water in terms of speed.

Jon
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #128
Regular Crew

Jon,

Did you enable AHCI or use Native IDE mode for your hard drives? I have read both good and bad about AHCI and I am not sure what mode I will use. My boot disk will be a 300 Gb Western Digital Velociraptor and using all SATA devices.

Andy
Andy Todzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #129
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Todzia View Post
Jon,

Did you enable AHCI or use Native IDE mode for your hard drives? I have read both good and bad about AHCI and I am not sure what mode I will use. My boot disk will be a 300 Gb Western Digital Velociraptor and using all SATA devices.

Andy
Andy, this is a really good question and the truth is that I'm not 100% sure which way I went but I believe my BIOS settings are Native SATA(IDE) and I did not use AHCI. I did enable SMART for all drives.

Jon
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #130
Major Player

Jon

What made you decide to buy both 32 and 64 versions?

I am in the process of upgrading my editing computer and definitely want to go with the Vista 64 and I7 after everything I've read here and else where. Plus the I7 is on sale in my local for 229.00. And I may be calling on you for some assistance, because my computer was custom built 3 yrs ago and all I need to change is the CPU, MOBO, and memory. The challenge may be installing the OS. We'll see.
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #131
Inner Circle

When you buy the 64 bit retail version you get two cds, one of each version.

I have been running 64 bit for six months, but because of several issues with Adobe master collection (which is 32bit) and the fact I cannot use the 64 bit version of Vegas I have just went back to 32 bit. And while rendering might have been a tad faster in 64 bit, I actually feel relieved to be back with 32 bit.

My run with 64 bit was fine overall, but the fact is I am using no 64 bit apps. I now have full use of my really nice scanner, which I lost with 64 bit because of no drive support.

There really is no real advantage to 64 bit unless you run 8.1.

Yeah, it can use more memory in windows, but not for anything else.

The i7 is so powerful 32 bit vs 64 bit, IMO will be negligible.
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #132
Inner Circle

Jeff, and others,

I am running the 64 bit Vista with 8 c. Because of the 32 bit software issue I have networked my older dual core computer and a P4. I am running after effects and other 32 bit software on them. Then I just pull the projects back and forth. I would love to have them all working on the one machine.

I thought about partitioning the os drive (its 750gig) and have 32 bit on the alternate drive. any feelings about doing that?

I went with the 64 bit for HD rendering and work, so far it seems alright, but I am new to the hd workflow. I have been working in the native hdv, no intermediaries to date.

If I went back to xp 32 that would only allow two gigs of my 6 to be functional, right?

How would I benifit from 8.1? I did not see that as an option when I upgraded to c.
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #133
Inner Circle

If Vista 64 bit is working for you you're fine. I just had a situation with a couple of apps, and my scanner, as I had mentioned.

Vegas 8.1 is faster, but I could not get external preview to work, it caused vegas to crash. Addtionally, I use Ultimate S version that does not support Vegas 8.1 so I don't fool with it.

My Adobe stuff worked fine overall, but then Adobe Designer stated flaking out on my because of the x86 thing, and that's when I left Vista 64 bit.

Dale your i7 will work fine no matter what version you have of any applications. You could theoretically run 32 bit Vista and I don't see you'd lose much, because the processor is the big deal, not the memory.

It's kind of like you're invincible with the i7. 64 bit Vista might utilize the processor better, but who cares? If you can already go the speed of sound, what difference would additional speed bring? I just am happy for you that you have all of these choices!
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #134
Major Player

Dell price increase

Well you lucky guys who got the Dell 430 i7 for £645 - its now at £799 with 4Gb RAM, so not quite the bargain it was - what happened to lower prices in the recession?
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #135
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rankin View Post
Jon

What made you decide to buy both 32 and 64 versions?

I am in the process of upgrading my editing computer and definitely want to go with the Vista 64 and I7 after everything I've read here and else where. Plus the I7 is on sale in my local for 229.00. And I may be calling on you for some assistance, because my computer was custom built 3 yrs ago and all I need to change is the CPU, MOBO, and memory. The challenge may be installing the OS. We'll see.
Bill,

#1) Jeff is correct when it comes to the Ultimate version of Windows Vista. I'm not sure that works with OEM copies of the other flavors of Vista. I purchased my copy of eBay "Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate Retail Box" and I believe it was like $180 and it includes two disks.. a 32-bit disk and a 64-bit version.

#2) I will be happy to help you with your install replacing the mobo, ram and chip. If you get a chance, let me know the other parts you have so I can be sure they will be compatable. I'm particularly thinking of the power supply (must be ATX 2.1), and have sufficient power, and also the Video card, need to make sure that's up to par.
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...