Any Core I7 users yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 24th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Any Core I7 users yet?

Curious as to whether we have any Intel Core I7 users yet?

If we do, how are you finding your preview is compared to your old system.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Major Player

I am a little confusedf. Does core I7 come in both dual and quad configurations?
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
I am a little confusedf. Does core I7 come in both dual and quad configurations?
The current Intel® Core™ i7 chips are quad core only.
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Very Impressed

I just built a Core i7 system with 3gb RAM and the 2.6 ghz processor. I had a 945D Dual Core with 4gb previously.

I am encoding VBR 2 pass SD DVD using TMPGenc frameserved from Vegas and Premier Pro CS3 with the Video Noise Reduction filter in TMPGenc enabled. Source is 1440x1080 HDV.

On my old system it would take around 11 hrs to encode 90 Mins of video.

Core i7 did it in under 2hrs with same settings. Not too shabby!!!

/billw
Bill Warshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Thats pretty darn impressive!
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent Machine

Just built an i7 machine. Motherboard is the Asus P6T deluxe with the 920 (2.66ghz) entry level chip. 6GB of Patriot 1333 memory. Using stock cooling. Overclocked the processor to 3.8Ghz and runs perfectly stable at 100% load for hours.

Machine is very very fast. I'll let you know how renders compare to my Q6600 Quad core chip as soon as I have time.
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry View Post
Just built an i7 machine. Motherboard is the Asus P6T deluxe with the 920 (2.66ghz) entry level chip. 6GB of Patriot 1333 memory. Using stock cooling. Overclocked the processor to 3.8Ghz and runs perfectly stable at 100% load for hours.

Machine is very very fast. I'll let you know how renders compare to my Q6600 Quad core chip as soon as I have time.
VERY interested to see how it compares. Your spec is what I am considering, and you current setup is what I have.

Last edited by Alastair Brown; December 2nd, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That is unbelievable. Now I REALLY regret my recent "upgrade"!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
That is unbelievable. Now I REALLY regret my recent "upgrade"!
The upgrades can go on and on Jeff... I remember your system build and I think you're probably doing pretty well. If memory serves correctly, despite you buying a new Fx1000 aren't you still doing most of your editing work in DV? I can't imagine that lasting very long... I7 is pretty expensive right now.. not so much the chips, but the mobo and memory... another year will probably bring in a new set of enhanced i7 chips at faster speeds with mobo's and memory coming far down... when it matures to that point, it'll probably make sense to upgrade once again... but it will probably be a fairly cheap upgrade for a large performance benefit..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:42 AM   #10
Inner Circle

My regret is about having made a less-than-intelligent and ill-informed purchase.

My new setup does run great, but I only do major upgrade every 1-2 years so this was a blunder on my part.

It is not just a matter of wanting "faster", etc. The i7 chips seem to be almost custom designed for Vegas and for video in general. As you know, these processors chew up video and spit it out. The i7 processor is a huge leap forward, and I believe $500 for the entry level chip is a phenomenal price.

Spent $300 on a motherboard and $200 on DDR2 RAM for a total of $500, all to support Socket 775 platform which is now outdated. This all came within two weeks of purchase of my MOBO.

Had thought the i7 was much farther off than it was; I just didn't see anything about the imminent release of these chips...really caught me off-guard.

While there is something to be said for waiting, in this case I'm not so sure. The new Gigabyte boards are great, and so far the reviews for this chip are nothing but glowing.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Warshaw View Post
I just built a Core i7 system with 3gb RAM and the 2.6 ghz processor. I had a 945D Dual Core with 4gb previously.

I am encoding VBR 2 pass SD DVD using TMPGenc frameserved from Vegas and Premier Pro CS3 with the Video Noise Reduction filter in TMPGenc enabled. Source is 1440x1080 HDV.

On my old system it would take around 11 hrs to encode 90 Mins of video.

Core i7 did it in under 2hrs with same settings. Not too shabby!!!

/billw
Bill,

How is your playback. What I am hoping you will say is that you have several HD clips on the timeline with effects added and you are getting a steady 25 fps playback (in red at bottom of preview screen) in BEST fULL.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Following is a TYPICAL quote from a newegg customer regarding the $298 version of the i7 processor:

"This thing is a beast. The jump from my Q6600 to the i7 was huge. I have this thing running at 3.5Ghz on the first try and on the stock cooler with temps 33 degrees idle and 58 load. I'm not sure how far this chip will overclock but 3.5Ghz with a small voltage jump (may not have even needed the extra voltage) on the Intel stock cooler is awesome. The Q6600 at 3.5Ghz on the stock cooler would have caused global warming!"

This chip has hyperthreading. It does it all. It overclocks better than the Q6600. This is the chip to buy whether you overclock or not.

The Q6600 and the rest of that series are finished; they just don't know it yet. The phrase "dead man walking" comes to mind at this point.

The only issue is not if you should buy an i7, but when. The prices for these are insane. I would be pefectly content with the base model; it tears the Q6600 to shreds.

Out of 36 reviews for this chip, 35 of the reviewers gave it 5 eggs (for those that don't shop at Newegg that is the same as 5 stars or perfect). One reviewer took off points because they didn't like the heatsink.

Aside from many complaints regarding the heatsink there is nothing to be found but huge praise for this chip, particularly gamers and video editors. This chip was made for us.

Regarding the hyperthreading one reviewer says his shows up as 8 cores. With overclocking I can't even imagine the performance.

Congratulations to all who have made this move...

As Alastair said, can't wait to hear how it affects previewing.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for that post Jeff... I can picture you now crying in your milk over your recent upgrade all the way out here in California.... Your post is now making me rethink if I want to invest in a new system.. I think I'll probably do it sometime in late January... I'd be happy just to get an i7 at 3Ghz...

And I will second the request to find out how this chip is effecting Vegas playback performance because, as I've mentioned in the past, I can live with rendering times, let's face it I have to eat and sleep at some point so while not render during those times? But playback performance while I'm working is a legitimate concern for me and I've not been very happy with Vegas in this regard while manipulating HDV even at half the frame size..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Did I hear that if you bought the Dell system with the lower (2.6?) 7i chip that you could not overclock it?
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
Bill,

How is your playback. What I am hoping you will say is that you have several HD clips on the timeline with effects added and you are getting a steady 25 fps playback (in red at bottom of preview screen) in BEST fULL.
I'll check this out tonight and report back to you. My playback of a single 23.976 HDV clip was rock solid at 23.976, using PREVIEW/FULL. I will try again with BEST/FULL. What kinda of effect would you like me to thow on the clip?

/BILLW
Bill Warshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...