I love Vegas but what others don't? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 26th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
I suppose, quite frankly, the reason 3rd world countries are the way they are is possibly because most people there feel this way???? If this type of mentality were widespread I can't imagine the types of problems one would have.
Ouch . . .

I'm not convinced that third world countries are the way they are because most of the population chooses to have lower income and less choice than the 'developed' world. It is most certainly not based on the attitude of the population!

In fairness, I tend to agree that this is not a true case of discrimination per se (and I would argue that Latvia is not a true third world nation anyway, even though economically it is still a way behind other EU members).

However, Andris' point that Macs are not within the grasp of the majority of the population holds water. And personally I would find it hard to learn a piece of software as complex as an NLE just from books and tutorials.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #17
Trustee

There seems to be some philosophical obstacles to Blu-ray in the Apple camp. That's okay, I have philosophical objections to Blu-ray and Sony. But I don't have too many complaints about Vegas. It's been stable for me. I'd like to see it actually smart render something. The Dolby Pro encoder tools have been sweet for making AC3 5.1 discrete surround sound. The lack of integration of 3rd party apps and plugins is valid if you insist on that, or irrelevant if you don't.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #18
Regular Crew

its easy to get down on Vegas, especially for those of us who are broadcasting with it. IMO it comes down to what you can create that entertains viewers. Being on TV, we are subject to ratings after each show. These are nervous times for small shows because networks love the numbers. Oddly enough we have two editors. One on FCP and myself on V8c. Just because a show is cut on FCP doesnt mean it pulls high Neilsens, it still has to be a good show. I have out rated him on Vegas cut shows and he has beat me as well with FCP. Content is king and if shot properly Windows Movie Maker would work too. I too wish Sony would please take a step up and either make Vegas a $1000 program or kick it down to $50. The final factor IMO is market share. FCP and the distant AVID spend considerable dollars leveraging their market share against SONY and Panasonic is a key player as well.

Holding out til the bitter end...
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
I'm not doing any excuses, just my opinion. I'm not applying for video editing work anywhere, and neither do I plan to do it, my profession is other, I'm a lawyer.

In Latvia there is a media program in Latvian Academy of Culture (the only film program in country) and they have some macs with FCP, but the tuition fees are even higher than to buy a mac - about USD 5000 a year - thus the same argument holds.

Most people in the field in this country have self taught video editing using pirated Adobe and Windows software on cheap, locally assembled pc's.
Oh brother... You're an attorney!! Thankfully you're not in our country.... Ok... that's a slam.. I'm sorry and not my usual.. but this news frankly throws salt on the wound as far as I'm concerned...

Maybe people should just flat out not interview anybody who doesn't fit their exact precise parameters so they don't have people accusing them of discrimination because they give an interview opportunity to somebody who doesn't meet their particular requirement. That'll be good for creating jobs in the world economy..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
Yeah, I'm sorry but bringing up discrimination here is just flat out absurd and a disgrace to legitimate discrimination claims. I could go on, but need I say more?Jon
Jon, you are addressing a topic brought up by someone who's background likely gives him a rational reason for beleiving the way he does on issues of socio-economic disparity.

If you look at the location of the poster, what he says makes sense and is likely a prevailing viewpoint for many in the Baltic regions.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Jon, you are addressing a topic brought up by someone who's background likely gives him a rational reason for beleiving the way he does on issues of socio-economic disparity.

If you look at the location of the poster, what he says makes sense and is likely a prevailing viewpoint for many in the Baltic regions.
I believe you are correct and I suppose that is just another reason to be proud and thankfull I'm an American I suppose... I was thinking, what if a company required that a office clerk know how to use Microsoft Office and work on Windows. I suppose to a really poor person, $100 for Windows XP and $200 for MS Office would be outside of the realm of affordability. Somebody interviews and says "hey, I can work linux on this old Pentium computer and I can produce documents just as good as anybody here. If the company says sorry, does that make them discriminatory as well?!??! Ok..... I'm done... Let's move on....

The fact of the matter is that FCP is a great program and the product of choice. Had I had an unlimited budget while putting together my system and DIDNT have a very solid depth of knowledge in the PC environment, I would have gone that way too... A variety of programs out there really is good for the NLE community in general frankly..

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...