Multicam issue!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Multicam issue!!!

Good afternoon.

After the last two days of pounding away to resolve the problem I am reconning I need some help.

In the past I ran a large multicam project on my computers and got the job done.

Here is the ISSUE:: After I click ctrl A to select all, goto Multicam, select make the track, The computer gets hung up on the hour glass and never responds.

Ctrl alt delete shows it is not responding.

the two videos are both just over an hour once synced.

computeer 1 is a p4 @ 2.6 gigs with pro and 2 gigs of ram
computer 2 is dual core amd 4600 (about 2.5 gigs) with 2 gigs of ram.

Here are some things I have done.

reduced preview memory
reduced to two threads
Increased virtual memory
defragged all drives (footage is on an exterior drive)
Rebuilt regestries
Cleaned the systems
the computers are humming

I broke down and reinstalled 8.0 and upgraded to C, no effect.

I thought it might be a hard drive problem so I loaded two clips from the system drive and it had the same problem and computer 2

I did this on computer 1 and low and behold it worked.

I used the network to get to the exterior hard drive, downloaded the two hours of video and then tried again, No dice!!!!

If it was a hard drive problem I would not think I could download and work on the files and that is just fine.

It is just when I make the multicamera track.

If I can't resolve this I will have to go back to adobe pr pro and multicam. Rather not!!

Can anyone help me out!!!!

I am down loading the two hours of video from the exterior hard drive to computer 1's project hard drive and see if that works. that is taking some time to be certain.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm guessing that your drives are fine, and that the install of 8.0c fixed any potential vegas issues.

Some other possibilites:

One of your source files may be corrupt. A possible solution would be to rerender the source files to the same format they're in now. Since Vegas Pro 8 will smartrender DV or HDV (which format in your project?), this render will be very quick, and will have the effect of rewriteing headers & such, should fix corrupt files.

(If one of your rerenders stalls, make note of the frame number... then recapture that section from tape)

Ctrl-A may be selecting something you don't want. Rebuild the video tracks in a new project, just select those tracks, and build the multicam track.

Just some ideas - good luck!
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Seth,

I took the two tapes, rendered them as avi files, placed them in the two tracks, sinced them with difficulty as the one audio track did not have peaks available. It is hung up on the hour glass again!!! It is not a hard drive issue as I ran it through the enternal project drive on the p4.

Now I wonder, Last winter my xl2 went on the blitz and I may have repaired it after I shot this. I am wondering if that could be the problem? As I am now capturing with the rrepaired xl2.

also it had a second audio track from the wireless so I had to capture through the xl2.

I just tried some old footage and it did the same thing.

I am getting a little perturbed.

Help someone!!!
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #4

I'd wager you've got either RAM, VRAM, or HDD problems that go far deeper than just what Vegas is asking.
Are you running antivirus?
What happens with the video on the timeline and you instruct Vegas to rebuild peaks? Do the audio files play in Media player with the video?
What do you mean you "rendered the files as avi?" They should have come into Vegas as .avi files assuming you're still using an XL2.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Douglas,

Thank you for the attention to this.

I run 2 gigs of Ram,

I am not running any virus oriented software. I even have update options turned off in most instances where I can.

I thought of the virtual Ram and i went and upscaled it to 1500, Perhaps I should have been reducing it to speed up the two gigs of ddr2??!! any suggestions surly appreciated on this!!

But why does it say the program is not responding?? At times I wish I was a total computer Wizard. I have never had this kind of issue with any software.

The only reason I rendered as avi to start was an above suggestion incase there was a corru-pt file, worth a try but no cigar which did not surprise me.

I will knock down the virtual memory and see if that helps.

How do I ask it to build the peaks? thought it did that auto.

On the rerendered version it said peaks not available, why I have no clue.

However on the first version the audio track 1 had no peaks really visible but then I thought that was the original recording being low.

Hope I gave you some clues to my clulessness.

thanks ever so much for taking the time to help!!!
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Douglas and Seth,

First, thank you both so much for taking the time to help with this issue.

Douglass mentioning he felt it was a ddr or a virtual ram issue I went to the properties and I rreduced the virtual ram to operate at a min of 2 mg Ram and a max of 50 mgb.

I started the project anew and everything went just like in the text book, so to speak.

By the way douglas, I use your book as a reference often and the vast tutorials were awesome and would recomend them all to anyone.

Well, I am now going to get at finishing this project, even if I did waste two days of work!!! My own fault.

good news is I have got all three of my boxes humming the best they ever have.

something good in everything.

thanks again!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...