DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Still Can't Open Quicktime Files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/138913-still-cant-open-quicktime-files.html)

Chuck Pullen December 3rd, 2008 06:34 PM

Still Can't Open Quicktime Files?

So I’ve tried just about every suggestion I could find about fixing the error that I get when I try to bring a QuickTime file into the Vegas 8.0c timeline. I recently spent the $30 to upgrade to QuickTime pro, thinking that would solve the problem. Is there anything I need to do? I re-installed QuickTime but no yet Vegas?

Mike Kujbida December 3rd, 2008 07:19 PM

Chuck, what kind of error are you getting?
Where did the file originally come from?

Rob Wood December 4th, 2008 10:03 AM

What codec was used in the encode to QuickTime? (open file in QT, go CTRL-I; it'll be listed as Format). If the file originated on a Mac, some codecs cannot be read on PC's.

OTOH, if the video/audio is fine on playback within your QuickTime player it *should* be readable by Vegas. If so, you could try exporting within QuickTime (File > Export) to a diff codec (PNG, PhotoJPEG, Uncompressed, etc) that Vegas can read.

Hugh Mobley December 4th, 2008 10:50 AM

Vegas does not like Quicktime for some reason, I always have a QT issue. Could it be a codec issue? Even when I use cineform to convert to QT and then try to import, it does not work, there are other threads addressing this. to get around that, render out to avi and then use a third party to get you QT, then you always have your avi to work with. I use Xvid4psp, renders out to most every format, free and is does a good job, especially on flv

Chuck Pullen December 9th, 2008 07:11 PM

Hey guys thanks for the tips, I know Doug Spotted Eagle mentioned purchasing the full copy in his Vegas 8 book, but I don't think he elaborated on what that would accomplish? My main issue is that I may have to import many QuickTime files (For lower third graphics) with a small turnaround window, so I would like to avoid the steps of using Premiere and exporting or something like that.

Perrone Ford December 9th, 2008 09:13 PM

I don't think anything could be further from the truth. In fact, I've just about abandoned AVI and gone to QT with Vegas because the codec support is better, especially in 64bit. I don't make AVI's anymore unless someone specifically requests it.

Anyway, my experience is that quicktime speeds my workflow, makes offering deliverables easier on both PC and Mac platforms, and gives me 64 bit support with no fuss at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley (Post 972853)
Vegas does not like Quicktime for some reason, I always have a QT issue. Could it be a codec issue? Even when I use cineform to convert to QT and then try to import, it does not work, there are other threads addressing this. to get around that, render out to avi and then use a third party to get you QT, then you always have your avi to work with. I use Xvid4psp, renders out to most every format, free and is does a good job, especially on flv

Mike Kujbida December 10th, 2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen (Post 975495)
My main issue is that I may have to import many QuickTime files (For lower third graphics)...

Are you using the Digital Juice line of products?
I'm asking because I have several of their products and simply drop the MOV files on my Vegas timeline with no problems whatsoever.

Terry Esslinger December 11th, 2008 11:42 AM

Mike,
So you don't use the Juicer to render to another format to take into Vegas. If not what is your reasoning or experience?
Thanks.

Mike Kujbida December 11th, 2008 01:03 PM

Terry, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't be bothered taking the time to render.
I just pick the clip I want, drop it on the timeline and continue editing.
Even though it is a QuickTime file, having a quad core means that it doesn't stress the system.

Jeff Harper December 11th, 2008 01:30 PM

I don't use the juicer for the same reason as Mike, files work fine as they are for me.

Chuck Pullen December 15th, 2008 06:39 PM

Hey Mike, yeah I believe that these specific files are lower third mattes from digital juice but was "tweaked" in Final Cut Pro on a mac and burned to a disc. But no I do not personally have any of the digital juice programs.

Mike Kujbida December 15th, 2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Pullen (Post 978774)
I believe that these specific files are lower third mattes from digital juice but was "tweaked" in Final Cut Pro on a mac and burned to a disc.

It sounds like the Mac person used a codec that, for whatever reason, Vegas doesn't like.
If at all possible, try to get him/her to render the files out as a series of images.
Use either PNGs or TGAs, either of which Vegas will handle very easily.
As long as the files are sequentially numbered (with the proper number of digits - i.e. 001.tga for up to 33 sec. or 0001.tga for 33 sec. to 5 min.), you can import them as an image sequence and then drop this on your Vegas timeline as one file.
I've done this several times when getting animation files from apps such as Maya or Lightwave.

Perrone Ford December 15th, 2008 08:51 PM

I have traded Vegas files with Mac people using QT PNG files, QT Uncompressed, Motion Jpeg, and I believe JPG2000. You do not need to do a series of images.

Mike Kujbida December 15th, 2008 09:04 PM

Perrone, I've never had any issues with .mov files but, for some strange reason, Chuck is which is why I suggested an image sequence.

Chuck, if you can play the files using QuickTime player, take a look and see what codec is being used.
To do this, open the file and go "Window - Show Movie Inspector", and tell us what it reports for a format.
One other thought. Is this an HD file or SD?