Bulleted lists at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Bulleted lists

My clients often ask me to include bulleted lists in their corporate videos.

Leaving aside discussions about the aesthetic qualities of such requests, how do others create bulleted lists that reveal over time or at specific dialog points?

At the moment, I am creating a new track for each bullet point, aligning them, dropping in composite level envelopes, etc. It's not difficult, but it's time consuming. What is a real pain is where I then want to change the order of the bullet points or add/delete one.

Does anyone have a better method?

Suggestions that my clients use PowerPoint instead will be politely ignored! ;-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Ian, here's what I've done when faced with doing this.
Create a slide that has 6 (as an example) bullet points.
Create 5 duplicates of it.
Open slide 1 and erase points 2-6, open slide 2 and erase points 3-6, etc.
Leave the required number of blank lines under slides 1-5 or it'll attempt to fill the screen with text and you don't want that.
Place on timeline in desired location.
Done :-)

Last edited by Mike Kujbida; December 8th, 2008 at 01:51 PM.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Ah yes, very sensible! In fact, I've done that in the past - but for some reason when faced with the same situation today I didn't think to do that! Thanks for the reminder.

I wish there was a more elegant way to do it without having to create numerous additional tracks, though.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Ah yes, very sensible! In fact, I've done that in the past - but for some reason when faced with the same situation today I didn't think to do that! Thanks for the reminder.
Since it's Christmas time, no charge :-)

Quote:
I wish there was a more elegant way to do it without having to create numerous additional tracks, though.
Since the titles appear at different times, it's only one extra track, not numerous ones - or am I misunderstanding your workflow?
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Since the titles appear at different times, it's only one extra track, not numerous ones - or am I misunderstanding your workflow?
But if you wanted the list to build, so you had all six (say) on the screen, wouldn't you need a separate track for the clip with one point, a track for the clip with two points etc etc?

Thanks for the early gift, btw ;-)
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
But if you wanted the list to build, so you had all six (say) on the screen, wouldn't you need a separate track for the clip with one point, a track for the clip with two points etc etc?
Not necessarily.
What I've done in the past is just place them one after the other on the timeline.
You can then do a cut, dissolve or transition of your choice from one to the next.
Since you started by creating the slide #6 first and then subtracting from it, the "build" should appear seamless (i.e. no jumps due to formatting issues).
Just remember to leave the required number of blank lines under slides 1-5 or it'll attempt to fill the screen with text and you don't want that.
(I edited my first response to add this instruction).

Quote:
Thanks for the early gift, btw ;-)
Merry Christmas from the "colonies" (Canada, that is)
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Ian, no, as Mike has eluded to.

1st section has a text (title) video line in the timeline say on the top row with bullet 1 (for say 5 secs), then the "clone" but with 2 bullet points for 5 secs and then so on.... until you get to the 6 bullets that you used to create the other 5 lesser clips.

All can be in the same video track of the timeline, no need to cascade them down.

Hope this makes sense!
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Andy and Mike - your day has clearly not been as arduous as mine as you both are talking sensibly. I, on the other hand, am talking cobblers . . . .!

Of course that's the way to do it - thanks for the friendly advice!
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Ian, here's what I've done when faced with doing this.
Create a slide that has 6 (as an example) bullet points.
Create 5 duplicates of it.
Open slide 1 and erase points 2-6, open slide 2 and erase points 3-6, etc.
Leave the required number of blank lines under slides 1-5 or it'll attempt to fill the screen with text and you don't want that.
Place on timeline in desired location.
Done :-)
Ditto for my solution. absent a workable (and easy to use) text titling app, that is what I have had to resort to.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...