DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas on the Mac, Anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/139295-vegas-mac-anyone.html)

Charles Newcomb December 9th, 2008 10:27 PM

Vegas on the Mac, Anyone?

After 20 years working on a PC, I finally got tired of updating drivers and worrying about... PC stuff. So I bought an I-Mac because it'll run all my Windows software, plus I can do Final Cut Pro on it, too (seems like more and more production companies want Final Cut editing). So I'm hoping to avoid making mistakes others have already made when they made the switch. If you have experiences/suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

For what it's worth: So far I like it. It's a little hard getting used to the Mac interface on the OSX side, but I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. I currently do all the file folder assignments in Windows because I'm more familiar with that, and the Mac sees them fine on the OSX side.

Anyway... thanks in advance.

PS: The 24" HD monitor is really awesome.

Jim Andrada December 10th, 2008 01:06 AM

I run Vegas under Fusion on my MacBook. Seems to work OK so far. Only problem is that I have to capture under MacOS because the virtual machine doesn't seem to have access to the firewire stream. I think under Boot Camp's dual boot you should have no problem,

Charles Newcomb December 10th, 2008 07:31 AM

Thanks for the reply, Jim. So far I've only had two issues, and I think those are both settings I need to change, somewhere. The first is Windows Media Player plays mpeg2 files on my PC, but the same version (10) won't play them on the Mac. It'll play wmv files just fine, however. Maybe it has something to do with QT being on the OSX side. But that seems silly because QT won't play the mpeg2 files, either. The other thing is when I try to burn a file back to tape, the image doesn't show on the camera's display. I see the red recording dot and the symbol spinning, but no video. Take the same file back over to the PC, and it burns to tape fine with the image showing in the camera. There's a setting somewhere I must have changed or not changed when I installed Vegas on the I-Mac.

I am running under Boot Camp. I've had no issues with capturing. And the speed of this machine... whew! Most .avi files render in about half of real time. MPE2 files, even with graphics and transitions, take real time or slightly longer, depending on the complexity. Under the best of conditions, I never rendered anything in even close to real time, much less under real time on my old PC.

I'd say so far the biggest problem, if you want to call it that, is Apple Support isn't able to answer questions about Windows troubles, and Sony isn't any help because they say they're not designed to run on a Mac. Catch 22.

Jim Andrada December 10th, 2008 08:07 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the Boot Camp issues. I guess nothing's perfect!

I haven't tried writing back to tape, but I know i'd have to do it on the MacOS side because of the virtual machine's inability to access the firewire port.

The only reason I run Vegas on the Mac is for when I'm on the road and want to do some light editing. My home/office machine is Win XP on a somewhat old dual core, soon (like around Xmas) to be replaced with 3.2 ghz Intel i7 system. Anyhow, for what I need to do on the MacBook, a few "strangenesses" aren't too significant.

I would think that Apple would be getting a lot more Windows savvy these days because Vista is driving a lot of people to look at other options and Apple could be picking up scads of new customers if they'd figure this out.

Jason Bodnar December 10th, 2008 01:41 PM

I am also running Vegas on a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro by way of Bootcamp and Vista 64-bit. So far no issues, and I am loving it! I was never a Mac fan especially the prices but I have to say the architecture is very solid.. Also Apple's version of Windows drivers are so much better!

Duane Burleson December 10th, 2008 01:44 PM

I run bootcamp on a MacBook using Vegas 8.0c and don't have a problem writing back to my Sony HC1. I can't think of any setting with the firewire that would control that. Especially since Vegas is accessing the camera.

Duane

Charles Newcomb December 10th, 2008 04:08 PM

Okay... I apparently misspoke when I said Vegas "sees" my camera (a Sony Z1U). It does, but apparently only in the capture mode. It captures flawlessly. I can control the camera from Vegas. In Print To Tape, however, it activates the record mode on the camera but nothing goes out of Vegas to it. Then you have to manually shut the camera off to cancel the process. I did notice in the Print To Tape dialog box I was able to select the firewire, but there are no choices to select in the device pulldown box. I seem to recall this happening when I set up my old PC (also under Windows XP Pro, like the Mac), but I don't remember what I did to fix it. Like I said earlier: Apple says they don't do tech support for Windows, and Sony says they don't troubleshoot Mac problems. I tried printing to a little JVC Mini-DV camera I have, and it did the same thing. If I had any hair left, I'd pull it out.

Sean Seah December 11th, 2008 06:49 AM

i have no prob running 8.0c in Macbook Pro early 08 model. Works very well except for the keys. Somehow I do now have access to the del button without pressing the FN button. I understand there is some sort of option but I have not activated it. Maybe I'll try.

Other than that its a blast with my XDCAM workflow. I use the Mac to render to mxf to a WD external scratch disk via FW400. Then i switch to Vista n edit via USB. Works well