Rendering a composite of Pan/Crop headache at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 10th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Rendering a composite of Pan/Crop headache

I've got a complex sequence of text media with keyframed pan and crop adjustments carefully timed to coincide with other stuff going on. Now we need to make a sizing adjustment to the video under which all this lies we'd have to adjust every single keyframe individually again!

So, to avoid doing this we just wanted to render the entire sequence out to an AVI and bring it back on to the timeline and make our adjustments to the whole thing. Easy! Done this a hundred times before

Now the problem. If we render to an Intermediate HDV720- 25p AVI (Cineform) we find that all the pan/crop keyframes have been lost in the render! AGH. if we render to an uncompressed AVI and bring it back onto the timeline the keyframes are there but it crashes Vegas.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get the pan/crop keyframes to get carried over to the intermediate AVI, and why are they not doing so in this instance? I've done this a hundred times on other stuff without this problem!

As for the uncompressed AVI crashing Vegas I've no idea! Is something in the sequence corrupted perhaps?

Using Vegas 7 by the way. Any help will be appreciated!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

What happens if you just drag the VEG file to the new timeline? Sounds like a perfect application for a nested VEG file.

What do you mean by the "keyframes are lost" when rendering to Cineform? It should render the same as it previews.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Edward,

Didn't think of nesting! I'll see if that's a viable option.

Yep, it's really weird. I can not understand why pan crop key frames are lost.

For example, I've got some text that is repositioned a couple of times letter by letter by way of key frames in the Pan Crop box. When you play back the rendered Cineform Intermediate AVI all the repositioning has reverted to it's original position! I've never seen this before.

So I tried something else today where I rendered out 2 minutes of the timeline only to find that one clip that I had flipped horizontally using Pan Crop had flipped itself back! Yet when you look on the timeline it is flipped as it should be?? it's almost as if this CODEC is bypassing anything to do with Pan and Crop but I don't see how it could. It's just rendering whatever is on the timeline.....well it should be anyway!

I'm using the intermediate because;

a: I've been using it for over a year now and I'm really happy with it
b: I edit Cineform intermediates on the timeline (all capturing done with cineform)
c: It's never gone wrong before!

Maybe this is a question for David Newman?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...