5 hour vegas meltdown at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 31st, 2003, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

5 hour vegas meltdown

I am assembleing a demo video for wedding videos. I edited all my exisiting weddings on a differnt software program. (edit dv) I now use (or try to) Vegas 4. Here is my delima: I load up some selected pre edited clips from wedding master tapes. (They still look pretty good) and I want to crop them, and replace text in areas as well as use some new plug-ins. I have taken out some text, and spent hours creating new text, with better effects. Also added the wide screen effect to make it look cineamatic. Here is the catch: I want to be able to use DVD Arcitect and vegas to convert the new files to mpeg 2 to showcase them on DVD. How do I re-render them to do so? It does not prompt me for mpeg-2 when I am done editing. Do I render them in a different format, the re-render in m-peg 2? Should I copy the new file? It keeps telling me that the format is not supported. Also when rendering, do you hi-lite the timeline of events that you have edited, then select render? I am running out of time on this and I feel I am just 1 or 2 steps from completion.
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2003, 09:42 PM   #2
Major Player

I'll take a shot at it, I had a little trouble following your post. When you finish your editing, choose file, render as, then in the dropdown menu at the bottom pick MPEG2, main concept, customize from the same menu (I usually choose to not render audio at this time) Name the file and render. Then I go back follow the same instructions and instead of picking mpeg I choose AC3 for my audio, use same name as mpeg file. After rendering both close vegas and open DVD architect select files at the bottom create and burn
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I normally do the same as Harry - File - Render As to an MPEG2 and AC-3 files (two separate renders). However, for simplicity's sake, you can just render the whole thing to a single AVI file and then load that into DVD Architect. After you author the DVD, DVD Architect will automatically convert it to MPEG2 and AC-3.

(I, too, came from EditDV/Cinestream)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey guys, I read somewhere that there is a script to render the mpeg2 and ac-3 concurrently in case you didn't know.
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

Edward, why....DVD Architect has to use AC-3? You can't use PCM format if you so choose to?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 01:09 PM   #6
Major Player

ooh, ooh, I think I know this one...you can use PCM if you render audio and video separately in V4 and put them in the same folder with the same name...right Edward?
Randy
Old September 1st, 2003, 01:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you all for your input. After stepping back and taking another look, I just reloaded the software. For some reason, the previous install would not let me choose either mpeg-1 or 2 for a render. When I did it would just crash. I own Vegas 4 and DVD arct. I bought it as a bundle. Maybe since I haven't used my editing computer in months might of had somthing to do with it. After the reinstall, all the work that took me 5 hours to learn was recreated in about 20 mins.
Jason Pechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM   #8

DVD Architect can easily use PCM audio. When preparing the DVD, go to File - Optimize and tell it you do not want to use AC-3. Then it will not be converted.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:20 AM   #9
Major Player

So it doesn't have to be rendered separately Edward?
Randy
Old September 2nd, 2003, 10:48 AM   #10

Everything really depends on HOW you do things. Here are some of the possible methods:

1. Render to AVI in Vegas and pass that to DVDA. All rendering will be done in DVDA and you can choose either PCM or AC-3 for the audio.

2. Render to MPEG2 in Vegas WITH audio turned on and pass that to DVDA. The audio will be extracted and either recompressed into AC-3 or uncompressed into PCM depending on your choice.

3. Render to MPEG2 for Video (using the DVDA preset) and WAV for Audio in Vegas and pass BOTH to DVDA. The audio can either be used as-is or compressed into AC-3.

4. Render to MPEG2 for Video (using the DVDA preset) and AC-3 for Audio in Vegas and pass BOTH to DVDA. The audio can either be used as-is or de-compressed into PCM.

I'm sure other permutations are available but this should cover the main choices available.
Old September 21st, 2006, 06:32 PM   #11
Trustee

Ed,
If you render out the AC3 - will it re-compress it again in DVDA??
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
Ed,
If you render out the AC3 - will it re-compress it again in DVDA??
No. It will not.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...