Hd /computer ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Hd /computer ?

Good evening,

I have an HP 4200 dual core computer, currently running xp pro at 32 bit.

It is capable of running vista at 64 bit if I go to vista.

I am making the move to HD in January and would like to know if this computer will run HD through vegas.

If not, what would I need without spending a total fortune as the camera is eating up my fund.

Also, does one have to capture with the vegas capture or can i continue on with my scenalyzer program??

thank you,
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Good evening,

It is capable of running vista at 64 bit if I go to vista.

I am making the move to HD in January and would like to know if this computer will run HD through vegas.

If not, what would I need without spending a total fortune as the camera is eating up my fund.

Also, does one have to capture with the vegas capture or can i continue on with my scenalyzer program??
thank you,
you can capture with practically anything you want. Vegas can handle almost any media format.

As far as your system, do you intend to edit the native m2t HD files or are you going to use an intermediate? A single Core2Duo chip will NOT handle native HD unless you have done a fantastic job overclocking and setting up that system. I have a Core2Duo with 2GB ram and it cannot even playback M2T on the time line with out stutter (even in preview mode with 1/4 or 1/8 sized preview frames). You pretty much need a q6600 or better. Your Motherboard may support the Q6600 chip. Check, the HP specs.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jason,

Thank you for that information.

The other question,

Does 64 bit help enough to warrant going to vista 64 bit or xp 64 bit??

I will look into a chip upgrade.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Jason,

Thank you for that information.

The other question,

Does 64 bit help enough to warrant going to vista 64 bit or xp 64 bit??

I will look into a chip upgrade.
I have no experience with 64bit Oses (yet). From what I have read, the real benefit is having access to more RAM. Other than that, Vegas doesn't render faster.

THe down sides to 64bit is all your plugins must also be 64bit.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
I missed one part. Is the computer "core duo" or is it "Core 2 Duo"

The two are very different generations of Intel CPU. Only the "Core 2 Duo" chips provide a real second physical processing core. "Core Duo" was an earlier version of CPU release right after the Pentium 4, which was only a marginal improvement. Core 2 Duo, was a massive jump ahead from the P4. But even a Core 2 Duo is not enough horsepower for native HD.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jason,

Mine was one of the first duals after the pr hyperthreaded chip. so I suspect it it is not a core 2 duo. To be honest I was fairly dissappointed in the improvement having thought it would really reduce render times. It did do this and it does multi task better but not enough in my book.

A couple things.

Is it easy to just create intermediate files to edit and then render to hd. If that is the case wouldn't even a p4 do the job????

In my hd budget I only have max of 2 grand to get a computer (that is about 1500 us).

what would be my best bang for the buck to do hd!!!! I obviously have to get a blue ray burner as well, but I was thinking an external would be nice as I could swap it to other computers.

Would this kit do the job?

EVGA nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 Barebone Kit - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz OEM Processor, ATX Mid-Tower Case, Clear Side, 750 Watt SLI-Ready Power Supply in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

or this one

Visionman Intel Socket 775 Barebone Kit Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz eVGA 780i Motherboard SLI Ready 4GB DDR2-800 Gigabit LAN NO Video 650 Watt VBBI-3N7800 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

last an i7

Visionman VBBI-2X5800 Barebone PC - Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz, Asus P6T, 6GB DDR3-1333, NO HDD, DVDRW, CrossFire - SLI Ready, ExpressGate, 2x Gigabit LAN, Media Reader, 850W, Pre-Assembled, NO OS in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

this one is at the very top end of my budget and of course needs other components yet!!!!

would these do the job???

thank you for taking the time!!!!!
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Mine was one of the first duals after the pr hyperthreaded chip. so I suspect it it is not a core 2 duo. To be honest I was fairly dissappointed in the improvement having thought it would really reduce render times. It did do this and it does multi task better but not enough in my book.
The reason it underwhelmed you, was that there are some significant architecture similarities between the Core Duo and P4 chips, enough that the Core Duo was mostly a copy out. Core 2 Duo, actually implemented double chip logic segments giving the chip a real second core.

Quote:
Is it easy to just create intermediate files to edit and then render to hd. If that is the case wouldn't even a p4 do the job????
Keep in mind that I still have not made the jump to HD. I only have a few sample m2t files and I have yet to do anything with them besides try to play them on the timeline.....

But I have read a whole lot here on the forums, and I have tried those m2t fiels on my P4 and on a Core 2 Duo system. Both are horridly inadequate for HD.

You could make use of the Cineform intermediate (or some other intermediate decoded process like a "gear shift" script, etc). You could even do that on a P4 system, but I would NOT want to wait for the transcodes & final renders on a P4 system. The P4, while fast it its day, is absolutely demolished by the performance of a Q6600 chip, and a Q6600 is practically standing still compared to an i7 (from what I have read).

Quote:
what would be my best bang for the buck to do hd!!!! I obviously have to get a blue ray burner as well, but I was thinking an external would be nice as I could swap it to other computers.
3 guidelines for yoru system:

1) Are you staying on Vegas
3) Do you use any plugins? MagicBullet, etc?
2) Are you going to "future proof" the system and get 64bit capable hardware and do you plan to move to 64bit OS / 64bit Vegas 8.1 Pro?

1) If you are staying with Vegas, dedicate as much of the system cost to CPU & RAM as possible. Forget anything about graphics. There are $120 dual DVI cards that will do everything you need for Vegas, which is basically a lot of real estate. Now you may want some graphical output that can go to an HD capable display, but that is different from just editing.

2) If you use any plugins that can make use of the gfx card, then dedicate a bit more money to that component.

3) 64bit OS allows use of more RAM in your system. CPU and RAM are basically the only things that matter for Vegas.

The first kit is not bad. Remember that you will have to put down $120 or so for OEM Windows XP 32bit (or retail if you want OS support from MS).

Skip the second, it is only a Core 2 Duo. You need 4 cores minimum for HD (from what I have read and my limited experience with looking at the m2t files I have).

Obviously the i7 will be the best, but make sure you stick to your budget (if you want to make a habit out of being profitable that is).

I like the first the best because it is a Q6700. If you are going 64bit, then you can throw 8GB of ram in there pretty cheap. Here is 8GB of DDR2 ram (in 2GB sticks) from Crucial specifically matched to that motherboard. Less than $90 with shipping. What a steal.

Throw in a dual DVI card (assuming you already have an LCD or two), a few SATA drives (you should be able to put two drives in the system one for OS and one for video data for under $150 and have a total of 1TB storage). Then reuse your keyboard & mouse. Get the BD-DVD burner and you should be all set.

I'd love to build a better edit system. I'm still sitting here on a P4, but I'm still only cutting SD footage so it is adequate for now. Besides, I just spent $2K on advertising for this years weddings guide books & wedding shows.... gotta advertise to get clients. My new edit system will wait until after I have my first $4K in income.
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Jason,

thank you for the information!!! considering my budget, and needing the blu ray burner as well+ a graphics card, Audio card, Hard drives and perhaps an hdmi card I will go with the one with the 6700 processor. I will order it in the next week.

I am going to use my 32 bit xp pro as I still user quite a bit of 32 bit programs.

I was wondering if one could have both operating systems on ones computer and select the 64 bit for editing with vegas and go to my after effects 6.5 and other software and work under the 32 bit.

I use premiere 1.5 and Vegas as editors. I am leaning more and more on Vegas when I am doing weddings and events, it is just so efficient for that and I love the color correction tools in it!!

thanks for sharing you knowledge!!! particularly the site for the Ram!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...