DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Timelapse question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/139751-timelapse-question.html)

Donald Blake December 16th, 2008 10:34 AM

Timelapse question

Hi everyone,

Here's what I want to do :

I want to make a Timelapse video of the moon I filmed yesterday night and use it as stock footage, I want the moon to cross the screen in around 4 secondes and maybe use it in the Title or ending credits. the original footage of the moon is around 15 minutes (it takes 15 minutes for the moon to completly cross the screen)

In Vegas I used the event velocity to speed it up to 300% and then I stretched the end of the clip in my timeline while holding the CTRL key and that speed it up also but overall it's not fast enough (it comes out to 1:11min), I have to specify that this is all in HD, What are my other options?

I guess rendering to the HD 1:11min clip then re-inserting it in the timeline and speeding it up again, but it already tried that and I loose all the details inside the moon.

Is there really no other options??

Edward Troxel December 16th, 2008 11:00 AM

Here's two options for you:

1. Save the VEG file, start a new project, add that VEG file to the timeline (a nested VEG), and then speed up that event again. Then render out the result.

2. Render out the sped up version. Add that new render to the timeline and speed it up again.

Perrone Ford December 16th, 2008 11:16 AM

Yea,

What Edward said. But be sure to render out in a lossless format, so that when you reinsert the image, you don't lose any quality.

Garrett Low December 16th, 2008 11:19 AM

Has anyone tried this for getting better "super slow motion" effects?

Garrett

Perrone Ford December 16th, 2008 11:28 AM

MUCH MUCH harder. Timelapse works ok because you get to throw data away. Slow-mo requires that you interpolate between footage you have so you have to actually manufacture data that's not there.

Completely different thing, and it's why we pay a premium for cameras that can overcrank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 979125)
Has anyone tried this for getting better "super slow motion" effects?

Garrett

Oren Arieli December 16th, 2008 11:57 AM

Why not take a high quality still of the moon, and DVE effect it across the frame? Much easier, faster and cleaner. You can use AE or similar to set an arc path, vs. linear path.

Donald Blake December 16th, 2008 12:32 PM

I tought about doing that Oren but the footage I filmed yesterday has clouds mooving in front of the moon which gives it that more realistic feel to it. (or sometimes trees)

Anyways I neaded to know how to do this effect because I plan on using it in other situations, like filming a city in movement then adding this effect or using it to make a caracter go back in time a couple of hours to change a decision he made or whatever...

Steven Bills December 18th, 2008 01:54 PM

Image Sequence

Personally, I would export the file as an image sequence, say every 10 frames or so, and then just import those frames back into Vegas.

I went that route I went for these few timelapses:

Mt Rainier Timelapse on Vimeo

Timelapse Sunrise at Mt Rainier on Vimeo

Timelapse Sunset at Mt Rainier on Vimeo

Anyway. That's what I'd do.

Steven

Jonathan Gentry December 20th, 2008 11:16 PM

For your solution 1 how many times can a .veg be inserted into a .veg? Can this be done more than once? I'm trying to speed up something over the course of a week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 979115)
Here's two options for you:

1. Save the VEG file, start a new project, add that VEG file to the timeline (a nested VEG), and then speed up that event again. Then render out the result.

2. Render out the sped up version. Add that new render to the timeline and speed it up again.

Chris Swanberg December 21st, 2008 01:53 AM

Steven.... beautiful time lapses. Can you elaborate a little on how you accomplished those? Thanks

Chris

Dale Guthormsen December 21st, 2008 01:56 PM

Very lovely time lapse!!!

I to would like to hear a little more detail on how you managed it.

Might be a lot easier than my method of running the camera through a laptop, and using scenalyzer to set your time frame and then record it to the hard drive and tape!!

Steven Bills December 23rd, 2008 01:59 PM

Timelapse Tut.

Thanks for the comments guys. Here's basically how I did it in Vegas.

- Capture all footage.
- Go to tools > scripting > render image sequence
- Choose what type of file you want to save your frames as (either a PNG or JPG)
- Choose where you want to save your frames, and name them (Vegas will automatically assign names as 000.png, 001.png, 002.png, etc...)
- Choose the 'interleave' (how many frames you want in your sequence per second of footage). For my videos, I chose to skip every 6 frames.
- Render the image sequence.
- Import back into Vegas and CC to your liking!

Hope this helps!

Steven

Chris Swanberg December 24th, 2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Bills (Post 982995)
Thanks for the comments guys. Here's basically how I did it in Vegas.

- Choose the 'interleave' (how many frames you want in your sequence per second of footage). For my videos, I chose to skip every 6 frames.

I am using Vegas 8.1 and I do not see where I can make that final choice in your list. Am I missing something?

Chris

Edward Troxel December 24th, 2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 983253)
I am using Vegas 8.1 and I do not see where I can make that final choice in your list. Am I missing something?

Chris, you would change the "Step Time" to tell it how many frames to skip between images.

Steven Bills December 25th, 2008 01:12 PM

Yes, thanks for clearing the up, Edward. I wasn't on my machine at the time, so I was just going from memory.

Thanks for clearing that up.

SB