DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to remove unused media in DVDA? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/139934-how-remove-unused-media-dvda.html)

Jeff Harper December 18th, 2008 09:29 PM

How to remove unused media in DVDA?

Ok, so the DVDA project used to have a jpg as part of it (it was a menu background) .

I deleted the jpg and DVDA won't burn the project without it, and I cannot for the life of me find a way to clear out unused project media as I can do in Vegas.

I had this happen before a while back and I had to re-create the entire DVD project.

Anyone one know what I mean? Know the solution? In Vegas you go to project properties tab and click on the yellow arrow and you've got it. Anything like that in DVDA?

Don Bloom December 18th, 2008 10:17 PM

I think you need to re-render the project in Vegas then treat it as a new DVDA job and prepare it again. DVDA doesn't allow for changing the prepared DAR without redoing it.
Of course I could be all wrong ;-)
This is the way I've always done it.

Don

Jeff Harper December 18th, 2008 10:58 PM

Sorry Don, didn't explain myself correctly.

I had a photo I was using for the menu background on the DVDA project. I later decided to make a movie for the background, and to not use the jpeg at all. So I made the movie, set it in DVDA as the background media. I closed DVDA for the time being.

Later on, I went and deleted the original jpeg image from the folder that it was in since I didn't need it.

I then opened up DVDA and it said it couldn't find the photo so in the dialogue window I checked "ignore missing file", since it wasn't relevent to my project any longer.

When I proceeded to attempt to burn the project, DVDA gave me a message that said I was missing that photo. I couldn't proceed any further.

DVDA still wanted that photo even though I didn't need it.

I now know that I should not delete like that, but I would like to know how, when there are missing files in DVDA, to remove them from the project.

As I mentioned, in Vegas, when you go to project media tab and click on the yellow arrow, it clears out all media from the project that are no longer being used. I can't find that function in DVDA.

This is a problem when in DVDA I want to use a DVDA project and switch out media in it rather than create a whole new project. If the original files disappear than I'm screwed later on because DVDA still references those files even though they are not wanted.

Graham Bernard December 19th, 2008 02:23 AM

Sorry, Jeff, I am not getting this warning. And did spend sometime in trying .. read on . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 980658)
I had a photo I was using for the menu background on the DVDA project. I later decided to make a movie for the background, and to not use the jpeg at all. So I made the movie, set it in DVDA as the background media. I closed DVDA for the time being.

Yup, I did this.

1] Still as background - here a PNG, NOT a JPG

2] Swap this for an AVI

3] Closed DVDA - this required I saved changes. (wink!)

Quote:

Later on, I went and deleted the original jpeg image from the folder that it was in since I didn't need it.

4] I deleted the PNG from the folder too, and this was while DVDA was closed.

Quote:

I then opened up DVDA and it said it couldn't find the photo so in the dialogue window I checked "ignore missing file", since it wasn't relevent to my project any longer.

5] No, I didn't get the warning. No re-pro here.

Quote:

When I proceeded to attempt to burn the project, DVDA gave me a message that said I was missing that photo. I couldn't proceed any further.

6] No, as I didn't get the previous "warning", and this was an issue of the warning at the point of deletion, I haven't bothered to go any further than "Prepare". And no, I haven't got the same warning as you.

Quote:

I now know that I should not delete like that, but I would like to know how, when there are missing files in DVDA, to remove them from the project.

7] Well, I don;t know about that, so much? I say this, as I haven't been able to repro your "issue" - bizarre.

Quote:

As I mentioned, in Vegas, when you go to project media tab and click on the yellow arrow, it clears out all media from the project that are no longer being used. I can't find that function in DVDA.

8] Yes, the "Lightening Bolt" Icon. I know it well! But, where DO you get to see the media in use within DVDA? As the same/similar way as in Vegas - there IS the Project Media tab, but in DVDA? What we have in DVDA is a "replace" or drop down listing within "Media Properties" allowing us to "replace". But a Project Media, of deleted or unused?

Quote:

This is a problem when in DVDA I want to use a DVDA project and switch out media in it rather than create a whole new project. If the original files disappear than I'm screwed later on because DVDA still references those files even though they are not wanted.

9] Well, I do this. I swap out media. And have now shown I can even delete media not in use.

Sorry, Jeff, I can't re-pro. The only other thing I haven't done is switch off the pc and restart everything!

What I am left thinking is that maybe MAYBE, you didn;t save the changes on your swapping the still BG for the video BG?

Regards

Grazie

Don Bloom December 19th, 2008 05:25 AM

Hi Jeff,
Well as has been mentioned there is no way to clear media in DVDA like there is in Vegas(lightning bolt) but I don't see that as your challenge here.

After you replace the media SAVE AS (I use the project name with a number-IE 'name 1, name 2 name 3' etc. THEN REPREPARE in DVDA then burn. Since DVDA uses 'smart prepare' it will only look for and find the area(s) that have not been 'rendered and prepared' previously. After you do that you should be good to go to burn AND you can delete the previous DAR projects if you want to. ( I don't only because I did have an AW SH!@!@#$#@!@###%%$$! moment once (fingers worked-brain didn't).
Anyway that SHOULD take care of your project.

Don

Edward Troxel December 19th, 2008 08:03 AM

Open the menu that had that image as the background. In the properties on the right side will be listed what it wants to use for the background. Find that image name and either change it to a new image or remove that image from the menu. It should no longer need that image at that point.

Jeff Harper December 19th, 2008 09:51 AM

Thanks Don, Graham and Edward. I had used "save as" Don, I always do, just as a habit thanks for the tip...

I will check the properties box next time Edward.

Now that I think about it, I have done this in the past over the last couple of years all of the time with no problem.

After Graham went to the trouble of trying to re-create the problem (thank you Graham!) and he couldn't, I am convinced this is a bug in this installation of DVDA.

When I go to burn there is an unusually long wait for dialogue boxes to appear, and they flicker a bit, which is a bit unusual.

I have had trouble with Internet Explorer freezing on me as well. My experience has taught me that sometimes things just don't install perfectly and little trifling issues like this will happen. I'm thinking these minor issues are easily fixed with a reinstallation of windows.

Thanks to all for your help. Next DVDA project I will try to recreate this problem again just for kicks and see what happens.

Graham Bernard December 20th, 2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 980847)
Next time DVDA project I will try to recreate this problem again just for kicks and see what happens.

Don't wait. If I have an issue I want to get it out the way B4 I need to get "serious". Yeah?

Grazie