Compression Codec - A happy discovery. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 12th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I tend to use the DNxHD 36 for my stuff. It cuts quite easily in Vegas, even on my laptop. I do notice a significant performance difference in 8.1. But I use both programs still because 8.0c has codec support that 8.1 does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
Perrone - which DNxHD codecs would you recommend for converting 1080i m2t files to edit with in Vegas Pro? Have you noticed a huge performance gain by going VP8.1 64 and the DNxHD codec as opposed to editing with VP8?

I'd like to have files that could me dealt with in something like an Avid MC situation if needed.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I tend to use the DNxHD 36 for my stuff. It cuts quite easily in Vegas, even on my laptop. I do notice a significant performance difference in 8.1. But I use both programs still because 8.0c has codec support that 8.1 does not.

Perrone,

Are you saying that you can convert your existing .m2t HDV clips directly into this DNxHD 36 codec and then edit these in Vegas 8.1? Do you find the performance editing these clips is superior to editing HDV .m2t on the timeline?

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
Perrone,

Are you saying that you can convert your existing .m2t HDV clips directly into this DNxHD 36 codec and then edit these in Vegas 8.1?
No, that is not what I am saying. The EX1 shoots Mpeg2 wrapped in an mp4 containter. I can convert THOSE directly to DNxHD outside of Vegas. I can render HDV files from within Vegas (8.1/8.0c) to DNxHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
Do you find the performance editing these clips is superior to editing HDV .m2t on the timeline?
I don't know, I tend not to edit HDV on my timeline. I prefer to transcode before bringing my files into Vegas. This includes a change to square pixels, a deinterlace, and often a file size change. Occasionally it also entails a frame rate change from 60i to 24p.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Spent most of the day testing and my conclusion is that Quicktime on the PC is the bottle neck. I have Procoder 3 on my machine so could do a batch convert of the 1080i m2t files from my HC7's to the DNxHD 36 codec - set everything the way I thought it should be - based upon some input Perrone gave in private email exchanges. Bottom line is Quicktime is crippleware as far as I can determine - and since there's no way I can see to rewrap the MOV to an AVI, looks like Cineform NEO Scene is the way I will be going.

Tested on both my Dell D620 2.0Ghz Core2Duo with a WD 320GB 7200RPM System drive and WD 250GB 7200RPM video drive in the second bay. My Q6600 desktop with separate HD's fared a little better - each machine has 4GB of RAM running Vista 64. Latest version of Quicktime Pro as well. Could barely get 16 fps at 1/4 preview rez in the timeline monitor window - even less on my laptop.

Unless proven otherwise, I'm pretty sure the DNxHD codec route with Vegas Pro 8 is a no go for me at least - I was hoping otherwise.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Perrone,
Sorry if this is a newb question, but how do you convert the EX1 "raw" files to the Avid formats outside of Vegas?
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Sorry to hear that Cliff, but I certainly understand where you're coming from. Putting 1080 on the timeline is a bear. I have no doubt that Cineform, with the VFW pipeline is going to be faster. I'm sure my expectations were lower than yours in terms of editing speed.

I'll be curious to the results of people who've been machines around the avchd format and what their experiences will be.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
Perrone,
Sorry if this is a newb question, but how do you convert the EX1 "raw" files to the Avid formats outside of Vegas?
Pete
There is a utility to do it. Click on my name here, and go to my homepage. Browse to Avid, and you will see the folder with the tool.
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks. Got it. Now I just have to figure out how this all works! Ain't life great?
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
Thanks. Got it. Now I just have to figure out how this all works! Ain't life great?
Pete
Easy as pie. Point the tool at an XDCamEX .mp4 file directory, specify an output directory, highlight the files you want to convert, select a bitrate, push the magic button! :)
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #25
Tourist

What am I doing wrong?

Perrone,

I downloaded the Avid DNxHD codec, but when I render (Quicktime 7, Video format = Avid DNxHD codec, compressed depth = 32 bpp color, quality 80%, progressive scan, frame rate = 29.970 NTSC, frame size NTSC DV 720 x 480), it takes 10 hours (PC with Athlon 5400+, 5g RAM) to render and the file is over 100 GB in size!

What am I doing wrong? I just want to make a quality DVD out of the DV video that I've shot. What codec do I need, how do I need to set it, etc, to render a quality file that I can burn to DVD?

Thanks,

GP
George Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear GOD man!

First, if you are working with SD (720x480) there is no need for you to use the DNxHD codec. It's designed for HD, not SD.

Second, if you are writing SD DVDs, you need to be encoding mpeg2. That is the only codec that DVDs use.

So two questions:

1. What NLE are you using? (Vegas, Premiere, etc.)
2. How long is the program you are trying to encode?
3. What program are you using to burn your DVDs?

And yes, a 10 hour long encode on a machine of your class doesn't seem out of line at all. But you're really going the long-way around at the moment. If you answer my three questions, people here should be able to help you much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Putnam View Post
Perrone,

I downloaded the Avid DNxHD codec, but when I render (Quicktime 7, Video format = Avid DNxHD codec, compressed depth = 32 bpp color, quality 80%, progressive scan, frame rate = 29.970 NTSC, frame size NTSC DV 720 x 480), it takes 10 hours (PC with Athlon 5400+, 5g RAM) to render and the file is over 100 GB in size!

What am I doing wrong? I just want to make a quality DVD out of the DV video that I've shot. What codec do I need, how do I need to set it, etc, to render a quality file that I can burn to DVD?

Thanks,

GP
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #27
Tourist

>>1. What NLE are you using? (Vegas, Premiere, etc.)

Vegas

>>2. How long is the program you are trying to encode?

1- 1.5 hours

>>3. What program are you using to burn your DVDs?

iDVD. I have MacDrive that allows me to use my mac drives with Vegas. I render to them and use iDVD to make the DVD's.

Thanks,

GP
George Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I was interested to try DNxHD -- I use Vegas Pro 8.0, but haven't used QT much because I never needed to before. I downloaded the free Avid DNxHD codec, and had QT already installed on my machine. But when I tried rendering part of the Vegas timeline as a mov (for the first time, I might add), I got a warning dialogue:

"The Sony QuickTime plug-in was not able to initilaize the QuickTime components on your system. It appears that QuickTime for Windows is not properly installed. QuickTime files cannot be be read or written without a full installation of the QuickTime version 7.1.6 or greater components, including the authoring components."

I checked my version of QuickTime and sure enough it was 7.0.3, so clearly I needed to upgrade, but this was my first problem. On the Apple website it says the download is for Windows and Mac, but the only download I can find is a dmg file which Windows does not recognize. How can I get QuickTime for Windows?

Last edited by John Wyatt; February 6th, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #29
Sponsor: JET DV

I went to this page:
Apple - QuickTime - Download

Chose "QuickTime 7.6 for Windows XP or Vista" (i.e. the one WITHOUT iTunes)

When clicking on the download button, it wanted to download an EXE file.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Edward - that link is the page I used, but I don't see where I can specify the Windows version. If you click the main "Free download now" button you have to accept "QuickTime76_leopard.dmg" (or Tiger version) which Windows doesn't want to open. I can't see on the page where to get the Windows version.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...