DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Problem with Vegas Pro 8.0 and Windows Vista 64-bit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/140026-problem-vegas-pro-8-0-windows-vista-64-bit.html)

Kadafi Marouf December 20th, 2008 02:44 PM

Problem with Vegas Pro 8.0 and Windows Vista 64-bit

Hi everybody,

I downloaded the Trial Version of Vegas Pro 8.0 and installed it on Vista 64-bit. I edited a small timeline with 4 AVCHD files and 1 mp3 file. No special effect nor transition effect. I tried to render this 15-second project in every possible format and 3 seconds after starting the rendering, Vegas crashes. I have an Intel i7, 12 GB RAM DDR3, 2 velocirator stripped in Raid 0, Asus HD4870 with 1 GB DDR5 RAM video card. Does anyone knows what happens to me? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Jeff Harper December 20th, 2008 03:21 PM

I'm just jumping in here to cover until someone else comes along.

Vegas and AVCHD don't play well together from what I have seen on here. What is scary is that you have a very nice sounding sytem.

AVCHD users use Cineform to convert the AVCHD and then work with it. At least that is my understanding.

You will get tons of feedback on this issue, so be patient and the help will come.

Could this be an issue related to Vegas being demo version?

Ron Evans December 21st, 2008 08:48 AM

I have Q9450, 8G RAM, 250G boot, 250G temp, 2x 750G for video storage, Vista 64. I use Vegas 8 and 8.1 as well as Edius. Vegas 8 edits AVCHD beautifully from my SR11. Just completed a family annual video of our grandsons using clips from my daughters SR7 and my SR11. Started off with 5hours and 35 mins on the timeline edited down to 2 hours and 15 mins. this was accomplished with absolutely no problems. Output to SD DVD and Bluray also with no problems. I never use mp3 in editing always convert to wav first. That may be the problem. Earlier versions of Vegas would only edit Sony AVCHD but I thought that had been fixed now. Could be the clips you are using are not compatible.

Ron Evans

Kadafi Marouf December 21st, 2008 03:31 PM

Sorry, I used .wav not mp3. So the problem doesn't come from the sound format. I use mts files from a Sony SR12. I think Vegas is not ready to work with Intel Core i7. That is my opinion. I tried to render the same clip with Edius 5 and exported it into m2ts. It worked perfectly (Edius had to convert mts into canopus format first which creates huges files, about 7 GB for 3 mins). Vegas seems to be pure crap with i7.

Joe Busch December 21st, 2008 03:46 PM

I7 Should honestly have nothing to do with Vegas...

It's gotta be an issue with file-formats/incompatibility.

I'd try 8.1 if you can, it's Vegas 64bit ... I have it and it runs great on Vista 64bit, Q6600 @ 3.0ghz, 8GB of ram etc.

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/lolquad2.jpg

I'm holding off on upgrading to I7 so I can buy a new tripod setup (Vinten Vision 3 most likely)...

Jeff Harper December 22nd, 2008 04:27 AM

Joe may be correct, some others in this forum have new i7 systems and I've not seen issues posted, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be an issue. There should be no issue with your processor...however, just in case you should try the following:

In preferences: reduce the number of threads used to render by one. If that doesn't work, reduce it again. Repeat until you see improvement.

I've seen Edward Troxel make this recommendation in the past so I'm passing it on. Try this first and report back to us.

Edit: After thinking about it I might have read this has happened to someone else recently, but don't remember the details...and I do believe that changing the number of threads that rendered did help.

Kadafi Marouf December 22nd, 2008 08:06 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answer. I tried to reduce the number of rendering threads down to 1 and it didn't change anything. Vegas crashes after the first second of rendering process. One thing I forgot to mention, I picked up the files from the Sony SR12, copied them on my storage HDD and then imported them from the HDD to Vegas. I am going to try to import the files directly from the Camcorder. Also, the format on the camcorder is mts, not m2t. I tried to render in Sony AVC with default template. Crash!

Kev O'Brien December 22nd, 2008 08:59 AM

i would say the problem is with your codecs, try re-installing vegas or downloading new codecs
i used to have the same issue with a few of mine but after a re-install it was fine

Ron Evans December 22nd, 2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kadafi Marouf (Post 982208)
Hi guys,

Thanks for your answer. I tried to reduce the number of rendering threads down to 1 and it didn't change anything. Vegas crashes after the first second of rendering process. One thing I forgot to mention, I picked up the files from the Sony SR12, copied them on my storage HDD and then imported them from the HDD to Vegas. I am going to try to import the files directly from the Camcorder. Also, the format on the camcorder is mts, not m2t. I tried to render in Sony AVC with default template. Crash!

Well you have a different SR11/12 to mine. When I use Sony Motion Browser software to transfer to the PC ( which I suggest you use) the files are m2ts( you don't need to let it do the analysis) . In Vegas I just look at the explorer window and drag to the timeline. They just play fine at the reduced resolution to get realtime play. You might just try renaming the files to m2ts.

Ron Evans

Chris Barcellos December 22nd, 2008 12:47 PM

A lot of these trial programs will not have access to codecs supplied with the actual purchased programs, for proprietary and licensing reasons. In addition, not all AVCHD files are the same. Those may be the issues here.

Kadafi Marouf December 23rd, 2008 10:06 AM

I've found the problem

Thanks to all for your answer. Ron, the dragging stuff was it! When I come back from a shooting session, I always watch all the movies and rename all my files so I can know exactly what the clip is about without watching it entirely again. Here is an example:
Yellowstone-0006-GrizzlyBearPlayingWithCubsWAtoUZ.mts
WA for Wide Angle and UZ for Ultra Zoom.
The problem is that Vegas explorer window cannot display such a long name entirely. So on my second monitor, I opened a Vista Explorer and dragged the files directly from Vista explorer to the timeline. And the thing is that Vegas allows that!! But when it comes to render, it crashes. I did the same dragging from the Vegas explorer to the timeline and the render works. Sacre Vegas as we say in French :)

Fred Helm December 23rd, 2008 10:25 AM

im watching this thread closely for answers. My studio built two brand new super comps to get Vegas running on x64 OS. Total failure at every turn. Crashing, instability with large project files, and no support from 3rd party software. We thought we had it worked out by manually installing drivers and codecs but when we started to plug in the decks (M15u, M25u, all 1394 cams and 1394 audio interfaces) nothing happend. System would not recognize any 1394 plug ins. Ran out of time and re-installed x32 and the entire studio ran perfectly... even if Vegas begins running on X64, there's not enough support to operate broadcast gear... Is there any way to get more than 2g RAm being used with X32??

Kadafi Marouf December 23rd, 2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Helm (Post 982896)
im watching this thread closely for answers. My studio built two brand new super comps to get Vegas running on x64 OS. Total failure at every turn. Crashing, instability with large project files, and no support from 3rd party software. We thought we had it worked out by manually installing drivers and codecs but when we started to plug in the decks (M15u, M25u, all 1394 cams and 1394 audio interfaces) nothing happend. System would not recognize any 1394 plug ins. Ran out of time and re-installed x32 and the entire studio ran perfectly... even if Vegas begins running on X64, there's not enough support to operate broadcast gear... Is there any way to get more than 2g RAm being used with X32??

You can switch to Vista 64! It works. But I must say that Vegas is a pain in the a$$. A lot of bugs and crashes, but you can still edit something and render. I don't know if I will wait until the end of my trial period. I just want to buy Premiere Pro. Costs more but there is nothing to compare with regarding stability.

Kadafi Marouf December 23rd, 2008 02:39 PM

This software and AVCHD...

... are not very good friends. I can render as long as I don't apply any effect like slow motion or higher velocity. The moment I apply that, the software crashes at the exact point where the effect starts.

Kadafi Marouf December 23rd, 2008 02:57 PM

I guess I have to convert mts files into another format. But what's the point in buying a software that tells you it edits AVCHD natively if you have to convert your files? I have more than 6000 files.