Render Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Render Question

I just ran across something that really has me scratching my head.

Editing HDV Footage.

Normally, I render to M2t then drag the individual m2t's into DVD Architect and use the fit to disc option within architect. A typical wedding DVD is taking about 11 hrs on a Q6600.

Had a project kept stalling on me yesterday so decided to render out the individual streams from Vegas.

What a difference. It's screaming through them!!!!!

Whole lot will prob take about 2hrs in total.

So...my question is, does DVD Architect not make use of the four cores of my Q6600 when rendering? Thats the only reason I can think of that would seems to tie in with it taking 4 times as long.

Having just ordered a new i7 system, this may have been an expensive overlook on my case. If it saves someone else from treading the same path, then thats great.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Trustee

I render to mpeg-2 for the video then ac3 pro for the audio, that way architect doesn't need to recode anything.

If you want to know if architect (or any other program) is using all cores, when the program is running, right click on the task bar at the bottom of your screen
right click> task manager>processes>sony dvd architect>right click>set affinity>make sure all core boxes are ticked.

I'm also using vegas on a q6600, 4gb ram. My projects take vegas about 2.5 times to render (EX1 down to SD),1hr project takes about 2.5 hours, then architect takes about 20 mins to burn, i burn at 4 x.

Paul.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM   #3
Old Boot

I try and avoid DVDA rendering - ANYTHING! - If I get a a Video or Audio warning from DVDA that needs rendering I have learnt to take "note" of that and see if I can remedy the situation.

Yesterday I needed to DVD a 2hr:17min project. I rendered in Vegas, separate Video and Audio streams. All cores being used. Totals were NEAR to the 4.7 gb limit and DVDA got all wibbly-wobbly about it. But I still "Prepared" in DVDA and then sent the whole blamanche to DVDShrink. That did it!! And it was totally fast too. DVDShrink did it in 17mins. Burnt to a DVD-RW for checking and now have a project ready for burning to a finished DVD.

I suppose what you need to test on 4-core usage, is to "monitor":

A] Separate Streams in Vegas

B] Rendering in DVDA

Now, if you get less than 4-cores in DVDA, what conclusions will you draw? More to the point, what conclusions will you draw if ALL cores are being used in DVDA?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...