DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas 8.1 can't import Mp3's? ... .flac works... ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/140413-vegas-8-1-cant-import-mp3s-flac-works.html)

Joe Busch December 28th, 2008 10:32 AM

Vegas 8.1 can't import Mp3's? ... .flac works... ?

This is weird... trying to work on a new project I just finished logging all the footage int he media bins with subclips etc.

Now I went to import a .mp3 and I get an error saying it can't be opened... i tried from multiple sources, multiple songs, renamed it, etc. same error every time.

But I tried a .flac file (Which is uncompressed, and much more uncommon file format for audio) and it imported and built peaks just fine... plays fine, everything is dandy.

Any idea why this would happen? I may try restarting/trying a new project... but this is just weird...

Perrone Ford December 28th, 2008 10:56 AM

Creates and opens my mp3's just fine. Not sure why you're having trouble. What did you make the mp3's with?

Joe Busch December 28th, 2008 11:04 AM

They're just audio mp3's from CD's I ripped... the .flac files were also from audio CD's I ripped, these I chose to rip in a lossless format because the original recording was poor enough as it is, I didn't wanna make it worse :) The other stuff had a high-end recording so light compression wasn't very noticable.

All of these songs worked before in Vegas 8.0, and I'm sure I've used 8.1 before and imported mp3 files... maybe not though?

Joe Busch December 28th, 2008 11:17 AM

I rendered out a .mp3 from an audio-track of a video file I was editing... and it imports fine.

I think it might have something to do with LAME codec (which is the most common codec for ripping mp3's) and 64bit Vista/Vegas... there seems to be a lack of a 64bit codec for LAME or it's hard to find.

So I think I may just download a program and convert the songs I need over to a format that imports into Vegas as a temp solution until I can figure out a 64bit codec...

Yea MediaCoder seems to work fine, just transcoded it to .flac and it imported fine... seems like the easiest solution for now...

Donald Blake January 25th, 2009 02:47 PM

Joe did you finally fix or found out what was the problem?? I have a friend with the same situation, what should he do?

Axel Scheffler January 25th, 2009 03:12 PM

Do you have 8.0 running in parallel? Would be interesting to see iof 8.0 can read mp3. I figured out that a lot of video codecs are not working under 8.1 but under are working fine on the same machine and OS in 8.0. Maybe there is the catch.

Axel

Edward Troxel January 25th, 2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel Scheffler (Post 1000899)
Maybe there is the catch.

There *IS* a catch. Vegas 8.1 is 64bit and can only use 64-bit codecs. Vegas 8.0x is 32bit and can only use 32-bit codecs. So if you have a file format that only has a 32-bit codec installed, only 8.0 will be able to use it.

Donald Blake January 26th, 2009 12:08 PM

Edward does the 32bit/64bit issue affect the audio? or only the video.

Terry Esslinger January 26th, 2009 12:41 PM

Does that mean that it would be a good idea to download and install the K-Lite 64 bit codec pack if you aare trying to use 8.1 on 64 bit vista? Or should you backtrack to 8.0 (32 bit) that will run on 64 bit Vista with your 32 bit codecs?

Edward Troxel January 26th, 2009 01:29 PM

I don't like codec "packs" but you will need whatever codec you're wanting to use if it's not already there. The same would apply to audio but there's fewer formats to worry about there.

Joe Busch January 27th, 2009 11:01 PM

I had no problem with video, just my mp3's ...

I ended up getting a program just to re-encode to .flac the songs I want to use.

It's a temporary solution because I couldn't quite find a 64bit codec that worked on my system...