DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Does Vegas support proxy file editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/140733-does-vegas-support-proxy-file-editing.html)

Sherif Choudhry January 2nd, 2009 04:14 PM

Does Vegas support proxy file editing?

Hi all, have you edited on a slow laptop on small proxy files (say at a hotel) and then come back home and somehow Vegas on your powerful desktop automatically puts together the edits using the original hdv captured files?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Eugene Kosarovich January 2nd, 2009 04:34 PM

Vegas works fine with proxies for XDCAM, which has low res proxies created in the camera while you are recording. This does exactly what you're describing, allowing you to edit with them and conform to the high res footage later.

But... Proxies aren't a part of the HDV format.

Seth Bloombaum January 2nd, 2009 05:11 PM

Proxy editing is not a native function of Vegas, but there are several ways to get this done either through some juggling on your part or the use of a script package.

The Gearshift script package from VASST.com is the slick way to do this. Check it out.

Sherif Choudhry January 3rd, 2009 12:51 PM

Cool! Netbook trial here i come.....

Seth, thanks, looks exactly what i need

I got a Samsung NC10 netbook for Christmas from my wife and its portability/battery life is so good i just pick it up and travel. I use it for web browsing but I loaded Vegas and it runs slow as is expected -but if i can use proxies for simple 2 video channels editing that would be great.....will report back on how it goes.

Sherif

Gilles Pialat January 3rd, 2009 02:41 PM

Another way is Proxy Stream.

Perrone Ford January 4th, 2009 02:29 AM

Or, for free, you could render out the master file(s) to an SD or compressed HD format. Then do all your work on those. When time comes, copy the project to you fast machine. When Vegas asks for the master, point it to the original file, not the small proxy.

Sherif Choudhry January 4th, 2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 988492)
Or, for free, you could render out the master file(s) to an SD or compressed HD format. Then do all your work on those. When time comes, copy the project to you fast machine. When Vegas asks for the master, point it to the original file, not the small proxy.

Thanks everyone for your tips. Gilles I will look at proxystream.

Perrone, aaah, sounds nice and simple, since I want to try editing on a 10" screen netbook (simple cuts in case you're rolling your eyes) I could just as well render to 360x270 SD stream, hmmm, def worth a try. Would it be easier on the processor if I used WMV?

Sherif

Perrone Ford January 4th, 2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry (Post 988816)
Perrone, aaah, sounds nice and simple, since I want to try editing on a 10" screen netbook (simple cuts in case you're rolling your eyes) I could just as well render to 360x270 SD stream, hmmm, def worth a try. Would it be easier on the processor if I used WMV?

Sherif

No, don't render to such a compressed format. Use an intraframe intermediate like DV.

Andrew Leary January 17th, 2009 04:15 PM

rendering out alternate files instead of using proxies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 988492)

So you mean to literally place the original footage on the timeline and manually render out new footage at a better working format (.avi or HDV?) then deny those files to Vegas on the faster machine? But when you point to the originals on the fast machine, won't the Vegas timeline not know how to plug in footage because the time code etc. will be different?

Trying to learn... Thanks in advance for your response...

Cliff Etzel January 18th, 2009 10:59 AM

I had forgotten about using VASST Gearshift as I have a licensed copy.

I was seeing marked slow downs while editing on my laptop and installed it just to see if I saw an improvement - sure did - just have to accept that hard drive space will get eaten due to generating proxy files and you'll have to be patient as Gearshift renders those files for use in editing. Otherwise one of the best $50.00 purchases I've made.