My first Vegas attempt - guitar lesson video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My first Vegas attempt - guitar lesson video

Ok, I finally learned the ins and outs of my HG20 as well as Vegas. Here is a clip that represents the genreal approach I plan on taking with a guitar lesson DVD (I am guitarist and filmer and video editer and producer and lighting technician... not exactly ideal situatuion I know):

http://www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/video/test.mpg

This is without the lighting kit I ordered and I still plan on doing some work on the background. I hope to apply some lighting technique this week though I must say I think it looks halfway (or quarter way of fifth way...) decent even compared to guitar lesson DVDs I have seen out there.

The basic elements are wide shots, zoomed in shots (with picture in picture so people can see both of my hands if they want - it is one camera though) and images depicting what I am playing.

Of course audio is not from camera, but captured externally.

There are definitely some playback artifacts but I suppose that can't be avoided when publishing for the web. What do people tend to prefer for web format?

Thanks for helping me get this far in just a few days!

Brian
Old January 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You're getting there. A couple of suggestions:

1. Lower the camera so that instead of looking slightly down, it's looking straight or slightly up at you. That way you can eliminate the floor in the shot, and it'll look a bit more professional.

2. Encode to mpeg4 and not mpeg1 (which is about as crappy as it gets). At that video size, a 768kbps mpeg4 encode should look REALLY nice.

3. Fade in from black and fade out from black. Makes things simpler if you start to do more than one video segment at a time.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't see MPEG-4 as a render option...
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Huether View Post
I don't see MPEG-4 as a render option...
Choose either:

"Mainconcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4)"

or

"Sony AVC (*.mp4, *.m2ts, *.avc)"
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The resulting file (after I customize so that the width x height is same) is smaller than the regular mpg. Are you sure the quality is supposed to be better?

thanks,
brian
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Huether View Post
The resulting file (after I customize so that the width x height is same) is smaller than the regular mpg. Are you sure the quality is supposed to be better?

thanks,
brian
Yes, the quality is absolutely better. The codec is superior.

Mpeg1 was what was used for Video CDs 10 years ago. It's essentially been abandoned.

Mpeg2 is what is used for DVDs.

Mpeg4/AVC is what is used for BluRay disks.

Mpeg4/AVCHD is also what is in the current crop of cameras that look so good like the new Panasonic HMC-150. GREAT results in a relatively small file. It's why it's become the streaming standard.
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just rendered some mp4 files and they have some odd behavior. Maybe it is something wrong with my players but the output flickers about once a second and sometimes it appears that there are lights flashing! The mpg did not exhibit these weird artifacts (well it had a little of the flasing lights effect but not as much as the mp4 files).

brian
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Take a screen shot of your render settings. I'm headed home from work and I'll take a look when I get there.

Also, if you can make available 10 seconds of raw footage from your camera, I'd like to play with it.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Perone,

Here is screen shot of proejct and render settings:

http://www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/vi...t-settings.jpg
http://www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/vi...r-settings.jpg

And here is raw footage (one at best quality and the other at 1140x1080)

http://www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/video/raw1.zip
http://www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/video/raw2.zip

And here is my 1280x720 version that you recommended. You can really notice the flickering in this.

http://www.guitar-dreams.com/misc/video/youtube.mp4

Appreciate the help!

Brian

Last edited by Brian Huether; January 6th, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Brian Huether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The screenshots worked, but the links to the raw files and the long mp4 file did not either as you can see from the broken link.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok I think I fixed it. I had to rename the raw files to a .zip. Just change it to MTS. Otherwise it seems like the browser tries to open the raw data in the browser window...

Also noticing some buggy behavior with those mp4 files and I saw this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/what-happ...8-1-64bit.html

I am having similar trouble (I have 32 bit WinXP pro with 2GB RAM and nothing running in the background).

thanks,

brian
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The .mp4 is not flashing, it's macroblocking. It's encoded at 126kbps. You need to encode a file that size at around 768kbps or more. I tend to encode my 720p files at 4 Mbps, and my 1080p files at 6 Mbps. SD sized files at anything from 768k to 2 Mbps. That should make all the difference in the world.

Working on the raw files now...
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Raw1 is up.

YouTube - raw1

Raw2 is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceke1sM9mSs

Last edited by Perrone Ford; January 7th, 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Weird - but I chose 768 Kbps...
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I just went to my wife's laptop and she doesn't see the Watch in HD option. Does youtube detect monitor settings? I am pretty sure her laptop can support 1280x720.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...