LCD Monitor for Vegas - need one that good color reproduction - ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 6th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Trustee

LCD Monitor for Vegas - need one that good color reproduction - ideas?

I have been buying, testing and returning monitors lately. Using this site :LCD monitor test images
I have been experimenting to try and find the best monitor to use with Vegas. Right now I have a CRT and a LCD monitor. The CRT consistently out performs the LCD for contrast, colors and pure black/white. So, is it impossible to find a LCD that will perform like a CRT for use with NLE's? I know that cost is always an issue, but I wonder what other Professionals that use VEGAS are working with when it comes to 20-32 inch LCD's.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm using (2) 24" Gateway FHD2401 monitors and I've been quite pleased with them. For the record though - I'm a semi-professional.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

AGN Professional - AGNPRO - Professional LCD Monitors - X-Series

Personally I use a 2405 FPW Dell alongside a JVC CRT broadcast monitor for color. Professional grade LCDs like the ones above cost thousands.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not sure if video editing is as critical as photo editing which is more of what I do, but if you want accurate colors you should go with the NEC LCD2460WUXI-SV. If you want a wide gammut which will show most of Adobe 98 color space go with the LCD2690WUXI-SV.

-Jonathan
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
AGN Professional - AGNPRO - Professional LCD Monitors - X-Series

Personally I use a 2405 FPW Dell alongside a JVC CRT broadcast monitor for color. Professional grade LCDs like the ones above cost thousands.
I just have any old LCD knockoff for secondary and then my laptop's LCD as primary, but then I have the firewire out going into my GL2 with s-video out from the camera into a 19" JVC SMPTE-C broadcast monitor. the boat anchor (aka JVC monitor) is what I use when I finally get down to the CC phases of an edit. Till then, I just roll along with the LCDs and think of everything as only "close" concerning colors.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ya know David, some folks use a television as a preview monitor with Vegas.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Trustee

thanks for the responses.
What I am going to do is keep the CRT monitor and buy a cheaper large monitor (like 28 inches). I can always use the CRT as a secondary monitor to check colors. Or in the future by a TV (maybe a small one) and use that.
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...