edge cropping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Major Player

edge cropping

whats the best way to keep my ex3 files as high quality as possible, but mix them with SD files? the end result has to be 4x3, and the SD files are going to be from a beta SX, so I am hoping to keep the ex3 files in HD and just edge crop the video. I tried a few things, like takeing a 4x3 timeline, and throwing a shot from the ex3 on there, and changing the properties of the media to ntsc dv (.9091). is that about the best I can do?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Ian,

I hope I am understanding you. Have you used the pan and crop button for each event you want changed to 4:3? Try clicking the pan/crop button on the event, then select 4:3 aspect, then move the box where you want it to go. Hope this helps ya.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

I dont think thats what I am looking for,but thanks.

basically, I have my HD video (16x9), shot on the ex3, then I need to mix it with Beta SX video (4x3) and edit short 2-3 minute pieces with all the video. the end result needs to be 4x3 SD. whats the best way to make the HD video match the aspect ratio of the SX video, WITHOUT down converting the HD video to DV (until its rendered out of course).
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Ian,
I just tested it. And it seemed to work. This is what I did....please try it.

1. Created new project, in the HDV 1080-60i (1440x1080, 29.970 fps) project properties or whatever your camera format is.
2. Placed my HD footage (16:9)on the timeline.
3. Placed my SD footage (4:3) on the timeline.
4. On HD footage, selected pan crop, pulled down the "preset menu" and selected 4:3 Standard TV aspect ratio. (Now, if viewed in the preview window the screen is widescreen BUT both pieces are "letter-boxed" in 4:3)
5. On the preview window, click on project property button.(or hit alt-enter). Change project properties to NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps). (Now if viewed in preview window, all footage is 4:3.)
6. Render footage in an SD format.

Hope this helps.
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Major Player

ooohhhhh, I see what your saying. great, I will give that a shot. thanks!
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

yup, that was the way to do it. thanks again!
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Major Player

I rendered the footage as Main Concept mpeg2.....looked fine in vegas. But when I opened the rendered file to review in DVDA the original hd footage, it didn't look as smooth as it did in vegas. Some things make you go, "hmmmmmmmmm." Hope it works out for you, Ian. Please post your results....I'm curious.(not the footage....just if it worked out for ya)
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

its not going to be till march that the editing takes place, but I will let you know what happens.
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Similar issue??

Good afternoon.

Is this problem of the same type of issue.

I have standad DV off my xl2/

I want to shoot hd on my new wlh1 and combine.

Can I crop the hd and then render it all into standard DV??

By reducing the data by cropping will it keep a better image than if I rendered tghe entire HD to dv??

What are the procedures to do that if you can??

I want to keep the wide screen, what aspect ratio does one use, 720x480?

thanks
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Major Player

For Dale

Dale,

What I do is bring the files in hd format, set the project properties to match the footage, (there is an icon when you open project properties, far right on Template line, that looks like a folder...click on it, then click a one of the files that you are using and it will match the properties of the file)

I edit in hd then render in mpeg2 video stream, dvd architech NTSC WIDESCREEN video stream.

It plays great in a high def lcd tv, and also on my standard def tv(letterboxed).

To mix....If you want to stay widescreen, open the pan crop on the 4:3 sd footage and crop it to 16:9. and leave hd footage in 16:9. If your camera can down convert from hd 16:9 to sd 16:9, you may want to do that......it may make the footage look more "even." BUT the HD footage won't look HD any more.

I'm sure there is some folks with more experience than me and if I have mis-spoken, please correct me. I learn so much from the experts here.

Hope this helps.
Michael
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...