DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video Preview - starts fine then stutters... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/141390-video-preview-starts-fine-then-stutters.html)

Brian Huether January 11th, 2009 05:46 PM

Video Preview - starts fine then stutters...

I have read posts here about video preview being problematic when the computer is under heavy load. I have Quad Q6600 with 2GB RAM. Separate SATA drives for OS, audio and video. All recently defragged. I imported a 5 minute AVCHD file (1920x1080). Other than that, the project just contains 2 audio tracks. No video effects. 2 audio effects each using a PCI audio effect processor card. Upon playback vegas is only using 200MB RAM and CPU is at 50%. Preview playback is fine for a while but then it just loses it - stutters badly and never regains its composure... (as if there is some sort buffering issue)

Any ideas what could be going on here? I feel like my computer really should be able to handle this playback with no trouble. The stuttering even happens in draft mode!

I have looked into all vegas preferences and I don't see anything that can alleviate the problem.

ALso, there are no other apps running (AV, etc, etc) or unnecceary background processes.

thanks,

brian

Brian Huether January 11th, 2009 11:26 PM

I noticed during playback that the preview screen will show the frame rate. As it is playing fine, the frame rate will suddenly drop gradually down to like 1 frame a second or less! The file plays ok outside vegas.

Am really curious what peoples' insights are...

Also forgot to mention - this happens in draft mode quarter...

thanks,

brian

Don Bloom January 12th, 2009 06:31 AM

sounds like there's something going on in a couple of clips somewhere.

check the track opacity-make sure its at 100%-sometimes it gets moved just a tiny bit and we don't notice it-hence long render times and stutter in playback. Check to make sure there are no effects of any kind on those clips-make sure you didn't inadvertantly double the track - IOW no tracks above or below whats playing and if there are (even if they are empty, make sure there are no effects at track level)

Other than that, sometimes the best thing to do is close out Vegas and re-open the project.

Don

Jeff Harper January 12th, 2009 07:54 AM

Don's take was likely more accurate than mine, after reading his post I'd agree with him.

Mike Kujbida January 12th, 2009 08:32 AM

Brian, this is a shot in the dark but make sure your project properties match your source material.
There's an option to do this in the Properties window.
Mkae sure to match audio as well as this option is only for video.
HTH.

Brian Huether January 14th, 2009 08:30 PM

As far as I can tell the properties match. This is just so puzzling because there are no FX, etc. It is simply the playback of recorded video and 2 audio tracks. It will play just fine then the frame rate will drop down to around 3 or so... The video plays fine outside Vegas. And at the point where video is stuttering, audio playback is fine.

What should the timeline be set to for 30fps HD video?

This is just so frustrating. I feel like there has to be a root cause that has nothing to do with system overload but can't imagine what it is.

thanks,

brian

Michael Hutson January 14th, 2009 08:47 PM

I know it helps with the timeline expanded out. (so you can see all the clips)....but i'm sure you would have noticed that... but just in case.

What Mike K. was refering to....to ensure that your properties match...Open project properties, click on the icon that looks like a folder, then click on one of the files that you are using in your project.....this will automatically set the properties. I believe you can click on the audio tab and do the same thing for the audio(please correct me, if wrong).

Hope this helps,
Michael