Terrible looking playback in Vegas??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #16
Regular Crew

What you are saying Bryan makes sense to me as I have no clue. It just seems a bad way to view and edit when you can not see the image playback accurately. If anything comes up will you let me know? I appreciate all your help Bryan and the rest of you all too.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Yes, I'd opt for that last one, Bryan. I think Tim is maybe comparing the quality of what he sees on his computer screen with what he sees when he views his footage on the camera (or TV). It will never look the same (or as good). It's simply down to the technology differences between the way the two devices display video. It's one of the reasons why we have to make two versions of a project for those clients who want to use it on the web *and* show it on a TV screen.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #18
Major Player

Tim I undock my preview window and make it larger ie 779x438x32 and it looks very sharp.
I just went and checked what happens if I change my settings to good auto and the preview becomes more pixilated at that size.If I change back to good full, keeping the scale video checked, the window is very sharp, better than cameras lcd by far (if only the xh-a1 lcd was that good). this is with 50i footage converted to ciniform avi.
For your info i am using an intel q9300 overclocked to 2.9ghz and 4gb ddr.
graphics card is nvidia 8800gt (but vegas doesnt use graphics card for preview).
good luck sorry cant offer any more help.
john
John Estcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Tim -
Silly question, are you trying to edit HDV or AVCHD? HDV is handled pretty well by Vegas, AVCHD is so-so, and you really pay a huge price in the preview window, it's doable, but it reminds me of the early days of HDV when it was a PITA to edit in Vegas...

I only asked because you mentioned Canon and "tiny little LCD", and there are quite a few Canon AVCHD 'corders out there... (I shoot small Sonys, and the AVCHD is still clunky, but doable)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Tim -
Silly question, are you trying to edit HDV or AVCHD? HDV is handled pretty well by Vegas, AVCHD is so-so, and you really pay a huge price in the preview window, it's doable, but it reminds me of the early days of HDV when it was a PITA to edit in Vegas...

I only asked because you mentioned Canon and "tiny little LCD", and there are quite a few Canon AVCHD 'corders out there... (I shoot small Sonys, and the AVCHD is still clunky, but doable)
I am editing HDV shot on my Canon XHA1. I gave up on AVCHD back when there was no support or editing sollutions. So I guess I have to get used to the way Vegas preview window is?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #21
Regular Crew

UPDATE: Thanks John and everybody else

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
Tim I undock my preview window and make it larger ie 779x438x32 and it looks very sharp.
I just went and checked what happens if I change my settings to good auto and the preview becomes more pixilated at that size.If I change back to good full, keeping the scale video checked, the window is very sharp, better than cameras lcd by far (if only the xh-a1 lcd was that good). this is with 50i footage converted to ciniform avi.
For your info i am using an intel q9300 overclocked to 2.9ghz and 4gb ddr.
graphics card is nvidia 8800gt (but vegas doesnt use graphics card for preview).
good luck sorry cant offer any more help.
john
Well, I managed to tweek things, that along with following John's preview window resizing advice finally gave me something I feel is as close as I will get to watching playback through Vegas as compared to what I see on my HDTV or the LCD screen of the camera. It is still not the quality playback I would assume is needed to propery edit but will have to make do for now.
I do have another quick question? When I drag the preview window down out of the docking location then finish with it, is there a quick one click way or shortcut key to return it back to it's docking location or does it have to be dragged back?
Thanks everybody for all the help on this......Tim
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cee View Post
I do have another quick question? When I drag the preview window down out of the docking location then finish with it, is there a quick one click way or shortcut key to return it back to it's docking location or does it have to be dragged back?
Like any other window that you undock, it has to be dragged back to the appropriate location.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Like any other window that you undock, it has to be dragged back to the appropriate location.
Gotcha, Thanks Mike.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Gotcha, Thanks Mike.
Tim,

What 'settings' did you do to get the playback quality 'acceptable' ?

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #25
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
You can set and save various screen layouts. So you could, for example, press Alt-D, 1 for your standard layout and then Alt-D, 2 for the layout where the preview window is moved to the other location. Look under View - Window Layouts.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
You can set and save various screen layouts. So you could, for example, press Alt-D, 1 for your standard layout and then Alt-D, 2 for the layout where the preview window is moved to the other location. Look under View - Window Layouts.
Thank You Sir, I will do that now.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #27
Major Player

Tim,

I recommend you take a look at the manual....Not the paper one that came with the program but the pdf file....360+ page one. Look under advanced editing(if I remember correctly) I talks of ways for better viewing....I believe prerendering is involved......but if you want that "perfect" display, check it out.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hutson View Post
Tim,

I recommend you take a look at the manual....Not the paper one that came with the program but the pdf file....360+ page one. Look under advanced editing(if I remember correctly) I talks of ways for better viewing....I believe prerendering is involved......but if you want that "perfect" display, check it out.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Thanks Michael, My PDF manual is 428 pages, the info you referred to is in Chapter 19 titled Previewing and Analyzing Video. I have read that a few times prior to seeking help but I seem to have struggles with this particular issue. My experience in Video from shooting to delivering a finshed Video, and every step between, is limited as I am new to it all. I love challenges and this is surely a huge one with a steep learning curve for me but like all things, in time I will learn. Thanks for the heads up. Also, Thanks again to everybody for the help.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hutson View Post
...I believe prerendering is involved....
I use the prerendering option on rare occasion when I am keyframing complicated edits or critical edits especially when those edits occur over short periods of time(line). It is helpful to "preview" your edited piece in the timeline in case you need to adjust something, just make sure to clean up your prerenders regularly or they will eat a lot of HDD.
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #30
New Boot

I agree ,the preview monitor in Vegas has not looked sharp for a cou[ple of releases now, same footage in other programs looks sharper than vegas. I dont believe this effects the rendered project, but kind of tuff to know what you really have. When you add the fx sharpness filter in vegas and have it set to zero , seems to bring the footage back to normal.
David Rocchio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...