FX for reducing glare from stage light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Major Player

FX for reducing glare from stage light

Is there an FX in Vegas Pro 8 that can be used to reduce the glare from stage light?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Old Boot

Without seeing your issue, and as with any clipped/overexposed footage (do we still call it footage when speaking of solid state recording? Intersting .. anyway .. ), once it has gone beyond the limits of recovery we are mostly into the realms of copying and masking in some remedial material to improve matters. However, looking on the bright side (pun there . . ), see if Levels or Colour Corrector or Colour Curves can dampen down the more excessive parts of the "flare". But I'm doubting it will. And somewhat akin to clipped and/or combined audio, separation is often/mostly impossible. Event if you do find a remedy, you will need to apply it on a localised way - you don;t want it effecting the whole frame - and this calls for further management of the the way you apply the Fx/s. So, copying tracks and masking and allowing them to interact will have to be considered too.

If you are unable to live WITH it then make a FEATURE from it? If possible? Add some GlowFx or exaggerate it with RaysFx. You never know, you may just add some reality that provides an alternative to your search for removal?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks! I tried using levels and the color colors, but those didn't help. I suspect I'll be living with it as is.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Could you post a still, Stephen?
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Major Player

[QUOTE=Ian Stark;998333]Could you post a still, Stephen?[/QUOTE

I've attached a couple to this reply.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stephen Sobel; January 22nd, 2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added a second still
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
Thanks! I tried using levels and the color colors, but those didn't help. I suspect I'll be living with it as is.
Thanks for attaching the screenshot. I imported it into my Vegas and tried the color corrector adding more blue to Mid and high and then added secondary corrector adding more blue-green and came up with this. Still far from perfect but if you like it I can send you the numbers I tried and see if it looks any better on playback...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y_thoughts.jpg

Good luck
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Thanks for attaching the screenshot. I imported it into my Vegas and tried the color corrector adding more blue to Mid and high and then added secondary corrector adding more blue-green and came up with this. Still far from perfect but if you like it I can send you the numbers I tried and see if it looks any better on playback...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...y_thoughts.jpg

Good luck
If you don't mind sending me the numbers I would like to try them on playback. Thanks!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry about the delay my daughter is sick

...and I had to get her settled. ok here are the numbers i tried.

Color corrector (3 wheel)
Low - Mid - High
0.0 - 341.6 - 347.1 Angle
0.0 - 0.196 - .5 Magnitude

Sat - 1 Gain - 1
Gam - 1 Offset -9.5
-----------------------------------
Color corrector secondary
Angle 264.8 magnitude 0.177
Rotate hue - 0.0
Sat - 1.0
Gamma - .948
Gain 1.0
Offset 0.0
Alpha 1.0

Limit Sat
low 0.0
high 147.5
smooth 0.0

Limit hue
center 178.2
width 360
smooth 0

limit luminance
low 0.0
high 255.0
smooth 0.0

That's what i used. Good luck, i hope it helps.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks. I will check these out over the weekend. I'm trying to get a better handle on what effects to use when, and how to use them.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I was thinking about using the secondary color corrector to isolate the colors on the face and tone them back down.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Steadman View Post
I was thinking about using the secondary color corrector to isolate the colors on the face and tone them back down.

How do you isolate the colors on the face?
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel View Post
How do you isolate the colors on the face?
As Ken said, you would use the secondary color corrector. Then you'll use the eyedropper to pick the face color range. You can then make adjustments to just that color range. NOTE: if the same color exists in the background (i.e. wall color, some other item of a similar color in the background) that would be affected as well.

I have an article you may be interested in in one of my newsletters where the secondary color corrector is used to let a single color show through with the rest of the image black and white. The concepts in that article would get you pointed in the right direction. Look for the issue with "Color Pass - Reprised".
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Also after you use the eyedropper you can select the "Show mask" option and the areas that show as white are the areas affected by your selection. Sometimes there are subtleties that the software detects that you can't see with your naked eye.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...